Cheapo DCC controller

the fuzzler

A little bit basic for most folk on here, but I would like advice on which controller people consider would be easiest to use for my little lad. I've got an Elite (I know, but my NCE Power cab died) and am happy with it. But, its staying on my layout.

I'd like a cheapo controller for his underground ernie stuff that I've chipped (yes, really). Only 7 or so trains to control, and ease of use would be main priority. I fancy the EZ command, but the select seems much cheaper on ebay.

What do you think, and are there any others I should consider ?

...I fancy the EZ command, but the select seems much cheaper on ebay....

Although the Select is theoretically a more capable system, the EZ Command may be the better option considering it's for a youngster.

Selecting locos is probably easier as you just press the big buttons, marked 1 - 10 and you can even attach little pictures of the characters (or trains) where the labels are.

Probably not important with Underground Ernie, but the Select can operate one more function than the EZ Command (10 instead of 9).

EZ Command is also NMRA DCC, whereas the Select has its errr.... foibles.

Depending on what decoders you've fitted, Select may not get along with them.

Programming abilty is of no consequence, as you can do that with your Elite.

There can't be a lot in it considering what the intended use is (childs toy train set).

Had it been otherwise I'd say stay well away from the Select.

I would go with the E-Z Command over the select. I got mine on Ebay for ??25 which I don't think is unreasonable. It is simple enough for a two year old to use (I know that you are supposed to be three to drive on International Underground!) with pictures of the trains by the buttons. You can add the companion controller as well (which Hatton's had for ??26 the other day) so you can both drive.

The MultiMaus (or even LokMaus2) is better value from Ebay, but nowhere near as easy to use for the little ones. The E-Z command will just plug in to where the Bachmann DC controller goes with the supplied leads, so wiring is very simple.

I would go with the E-Z Command over the select. I got mine on Ebay for ??25 which I don't think is unreasonable. It is simple enough for a two year old to use (I know that you are supposed to be three to drive on International Underground!) with pictures of the trains by the buttons. You can add the companion controller as well (which Hatton's had for ??26 the other day) so you can both drive.

The MultiMaus (or even LokMaus2) is better value from Ebay, but nowhere near as easy to use for the little ones. The E-Z command will just plug in to where the Bachmann DC controller goes with the supplied leads, so wiring is very simple.

All valid points, and I think that its clear the the ez-command is the way to go......just got to find one. I like your avatar by the way, I take it youve got a penchant for Ernie ??!!

The nipper will be 2 in January and loves trains already. UE might come out to play on his birthday. I saw the UE stuff in clearance shops and thought it was too good a bargain to let slip. Best were a circle line train for ??4.99, and the whole Circle train set for ??20. To complete the line up I had to pay full whack for the Inspection vehicle (??20), gutted to see they were going for ??5 each when they first got "cleared", but got bargains (??10-??15) on most other buys).

Those little fingers will be able to push the buttons with ease, compared to the Select.

UPDATE

Just ordered the EZ command (??39) and the add on controller (??27) from Hattons. Still ??60 in Ian Allan in Manchester and ??55 in my local, normally resonably priced retailer. And it looks like Hattons got stung with UE stock, as they're still trying to sell them at ??25 per train!

There is one tatty e-z command on ebay at the moment, but the worst is the add on - someone want ??42 to buy theirs now. Ouch.

I have all of the International Underground Ernie stuff and a few spares now as well. I snaffled up the last E-Z Command companion from Hatton's at ??42 when I had given up hope of getting one cheaper (I had been looking for a year!) - just before they got a new batch in at the lower price. Ho hum.

The Ernie set track is starting to wear now so I am starting to build a more permanent layout using Peco American HO track, just for the little ones of course! I would have liked to have used the Tillig dual gauge (to replicate the central third rail) but it was too expensive.

You will just have to be careful and not be tempted to try and run more than five trains at once! The E-Z command starts to complain after five trains are running at once.? 

Hi,

Had a problem after using a friend's ez command controller. Can't find an answer to this on the forum so I've posted afresh. My pal came round with his Bachmann ez command controller and several chipped locos. He's new to dcc and I haven't gone down that road yet - his young son really likes the ez command though. We connected it up to a track on the loft layout (it was the only power input connected) and the chipped locos ran well. Now, the ez command has a function to allow 1 dc loco to operate as well so we tried a Bachmann 08 and then a Heljan 47, which ran with the chipped locos.

When I later tried the 08 on the normal dc power to the layout, it ran ok. However, the Heljan 47 would only run properly in 1 direction. In reverse, it ran very slowly then stopped. I've taken the body off and connected the motor leads directly to the controller, when the mechanism runs perfectly in each direction.

It looks therefore as if the ez command has caused some damage to the 47's circuit board. Any ideas about this? I've now bypassed the circuit board and connected the motor leads directly to the pickup wires - ok for DC of course. However, if just used for DCC, is the ez command ok as a cheap dcc controller?

Thanks,

Bill

<snip, snip>

When I later tried the 08 on the normal dc power to the layout, it ran ok. However, the Heljan 47 would only run properly in 1 direction. In reverse, it ran very slowly then stopped. I've taken the body off and connected the motor leads directly to the controller, when the mechanism runs perfectly in each direction.

It looks therefore as if the ez command has caused some damage to the 47's circuit board. Any ideas about this? I've now bypassed the circuit board and connected the motor leads directly to the pickup wires - ok for DC of course. However, if just used for DCC, is the ez command ok as a cheap dcc controller?

Hello Bill!

What used to be called address zero, was a means by which a dcc system could 'run' one dc loco... In practice it is/was not very good and buggered a fair few locos....

If you remember back in the day, dc controllers had a half wave switch, with dire warnings not to leave it on too long for fear of damaging locos - well the address zero system, that Bachmann have used in the basic EZ Command system, is like leaving your dc loco on half wave permanently..... Do you see where we're going with this? Nice idea, but in practice, I wouldn't if I were you.

-Rob

ps Oh! Hey! My first post on the 'new' rmweb!

Hello Rob,

Yes, thanks for that, best left well alone, as you say, I won't be experimenting again.. One advantage of the problems with my Heljan 47 was that I had to take the body off to test the motor and it's finally encouraged me to number the loco (it was one of the Heljan un-numbered releases...) so some good came of it. :)

cheers,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

For what its worth. I bought an EZ controller which we now use on the layout my son (10) and I are building.

It works very well and we have had no problems.

He finds it very easy to use, and the means of assigning locos is very straight forward.

We haven't tried it with a DC loco and don't intend to.

I can recommend it.

We got our from cheltenham models, as one split from a train set, it cost about 35 - 40 pounds, so fairly cheap as well, with the genuine Bachmann instructions.

Archived