Crime Prevention.........

• 3 weeks later...

Most of my stock has a big "D" scrawled underneath in Pentel correcting fluid.  Its a right sod to get off.   Enough to spoil the felons entire evening as he tries to remove it.   Just about nothing is standard, renamed, renumbered, repaint, modified chassis, and almost everything of value appears in my photo collection.   Most importantly its all worn out and not worth nicking.   I used to fit car alarms for my friends and always worked on the assumption that no one would take any notice so the object of the exercise was to make the thief's  task as unpleasant as possible by putting the sounder inside the car.  Twin  horns usually. Same applies to buildings and sheds, deafen the sods.  Disorientate them.  Make them take up a different hobby.

• Like 3

On 18/12/2019 at 12:33, Rivercider said:

You could choose a name from another town in the locality.

In that part of the country Chagford was a town for which a railway was proposed, but never built (it made do with a connecting bus).

Dunsford would have been an intermediate station on the Chagford branch.

Aston was for a number of years the terminus of the Teign Valley line before it was extended to Exeter,

cheers

Is Chagford pronounced with a Ch as in Chardonnay.  Was there a pun in there as in Sodor?

• 3 months later...
On 30/11/2019 at 17:26, Mr Pix said:

A dog doesn't need to be loose in the garden all the time..

Our German Shepherd instinctually knows when there's unusual activity especially during the night, she'll bark aggressively which can be heard for quite a distance hopefully deterring any one. She has access to the whole house at night, so she can hear anyone approaching from any direction. My layout and stock is in a shed along side our bungalow close to the gable end so she will pick up ( smell, hearing ) on any unwanted activity yards away from our fence.

She is a pet and companion first but would do anything to protect what she perceives as her territory and family.

IMG_2015.JPG

Responding to an older post, but our Alsatian was also similar in that she knew when someone was about, even before they came up the path to the house! Having said that, she didn't bark at anyone she knew (including the postman and milkman) only anyone who was a stranger and she didn't like the smell of!

I remember my college friend's family had three, beautiful Doberman Pinschers (sp?) which I never heard bark and were lovely animals whenever I visited. Then one day he had a call from his father - he had come downstairs for breakfast to find two absolutely terrified burglars sitting on his sofa with the three dogs sitting around them. He learnt from the police that the burglars had broken in and the dogs had let them into the lounge before surrounding them and backing them onto the sofa - all in silence! Every time the burglars attempted to move, they would see three sets of teeth bared and decided their best option was to stay put!

A noisy dog is probably preferable, but at the time we did think it was funny imagining the two robbing b*st*rds sat in terror for hours, not knowing if they were going to get eaten!!

STAY SAFE - STAY HOME - KEEP MODELLING

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• 3 months later...
  • AY Mod unpinned this topic