James Stanley Beeson

Neill

I've just got hold of a copy of a book on Stan Beeson via e-bay, called "James Stanley Beeson".

I'd heard of Stan Beeson but this book shows why he's held in such high regard, his locomotive models are simply superb. The book also has photo's of his workshop, and I, like many modellers I suspect, find other people's workshops really interesting.

I think the book was a limited edition, it's by a chap called Goddard and is not cheap but it is very well produced and of "coffee table" quality. I can really recommend it to anyone who makes loco's from scratch or etched kits.

Beeson was about the best maker of models......and some products like cast iron wheels, made by Stuart Turner in the resin sand shell process at Henley on Thames. His masters were perfect, and added to Stuarts finest quality shell castings, resulted in precision cast iron wheels in O gauge, and even some in OO scale. Very costly of course.

Stephen.

• 2 years later...

A lot of money! :O  I seem to recall it was meant to be a limited run, and the price approached three figures!!

That's why I didn't buy it when it was first published, also I was not impressed by "The blocks will be destroyed after the inital print run", a goods way of artificaly inflating the price. Mick. 

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

They'll be lucky, especially as it's listed as collect only.

A copy sold on ebay on 14th Dec for less than £99 (exact price not shown), but with some damage:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/James-Stanley-Beeson-By-R-A-Ganderton-RARE-AND-VALUABLE-/263952396535?hash=item3d74c9f0f7%3Ag%3AaF8AAOSwt5hbpoHx&nma=true&si=38k04LvzisA5ae1njqwGo9WfQzU%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was lucky enough to pick up a copy maybe 2 or 3 years ago on Ebay for £41-50.

• RMweb Premium

I've just got hold of a copy of a book on Stan Beeson via e-bay, called "James Stanley Beeson".

I'd heard of Stan Beeson but this book shows why he's held in such high regard, his locomotive models are simply superb. The book also has photo's of his workshop, and I, like many modellers I suspect, find other people's workshops really interesting.

I think the book was a limited edition, it's by a chap called Goddard and is not cheap but it is very well produced and of "coffee table" quality. I can really recommend it to anyone who makes loco's from scratch or etched kits.

Isn't the author R.A Ganderton?

• RMweb Premium

Isn't the author R.A Ganderton?

Yes; the same man who used to make & sell the "Graskop" Resistance Soldering Irons, amongst other things.  I believe he also made the original Triangular 3-point Track Gauges for the EMGS

Archived