TWICKENHAM & DISTRICT MRC

steve W

In addition to club-owned layouts, many individual T&DMRC members have layouts on the exhibition circuit.

This year's CMRA show in Stevenage will see two T&DMRC members' layouts - one in American ON30 and one in Chinese HO. Hopefully we will be able to post photos of them shortly.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 1 month later...

Twickenham & District MRC's Open Day is due to be held on Saturday July 13th - and there should be a lot of good modelling to show visitors!

Recent good T&DMRC news includes the club and its members winning three out of the five categories in the recent LNWR Society/RMweb modelling challenge - including the RMweb popular vote - congratulations to Peter and the team.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone notice a Twickenham & District MRC layout in last week's James May programme about Hornby?

In the first few minutes there was a random selection of footage of layouts and one of those featured T&DMRC's long-gone 4mm GWR branch TADMERE.

It was filmed in the 1970's for the MODEL WORLD series and has now re-surfaced in 2019 - truly the gift that keeps on giving!

• 1 month later...

In addition to club owned layouts like Addison Road (7mm) and Northwick (OO) Twickenham MRC members often take their private layouts onto the exhibition circuit.

One such layout is a retro 1961 themed 'kitchen table' layout built by Paul Stapleton. Originally built for Twickenham MRC's 50th anniversary exhibition in 2011 the layout seeks to show what a typical 1961 proprietary toy train layout looked like. Built using s/h Tri-ang TT items this will bring back memories (both good and bad) for many an exhibition visitor. Everything you see in this photo is permanently glued into position except the tea cup which will have some tea leaves and a half eaten Bourbon biscuit in the saucer when it's exhibited.

This layout can be seen at the SW HERTS MRS show this Saturday - do say hello if you attend.

DSC_0032.JPG.2fc95d10165a1d83c3d4f1fd8b7d0e2b.JPG

• RMweb Premium

Twickenham & District MRC has again invited me to present my weathering demonstration at both the “shop-front” showcase in Twickenham Library which is aimed at the general public and at the club open day. 

I have accepted both invitations and will be at the library on Saturday 22nd June and at the club room in Whitton on Saturday 13th July getting my hands and some small trains dirty. 

12 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

................Everything you see in this photo is permanently glued into position except the tea cup which will have some tea leaves and a half eaten Bourbon biscuit in the saucer when it's exhibited.

DSC_0032.JPG.2fc95d10165a1d83c3d4f1fd8b7d0e2b.JPG

Ooh! I love Bourbon biscuits.

19 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Twickenham & District MRC has again invited me to present my weathering demonstration at both the “shop-front” showcase in Twickenham Library which is aimed at the general public and at the club open day. 

I have accepted both invitations and will be at the library on Saturday 22nd June and at the club room in Whitton on Saturday 13th July getting my hands and some small trains dirty. 

Do hope you will be able to get to one or both of these days to see Ricks excellent work and techniques. I will be posting full details on here, the club FB page and website shortly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time to fly the flag for Twickenham MRC's 7mm layout ADDISON ROAD which has its own thread here on RMweb. Here is the link …………………….

Here are some photos of a recent (1925 themed!) running session.

921563254_MindTheGap-TheWolfandclerestorystock.jpeg.cc70b584074b317ca62be9b9522b5675.jpeg

As you can see the 1925 theme was interpreted quite widely ……………….

1114086052_LT0-6-0PTL92(BarryCroft).jpg.26e366b95b8562da147959731801a8df.jpg

Or in some cases VERY widely ………………..

55407462_Patsparcels.jpeg.a8c2114557863c7c5378c5a362bafa28.jpeg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 4 weeks later...

Just one week to go before our FREE POP-UP EXHIBITION at TWICKENHAM LIBRARY.

This is a great way to meet Twickenham MRC and its members - come and find out what the club has to offer YOU.

Twickenham Library, Garfield Road, Twickenham, TW1 3JT    10am to 3pm.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A great open day was enjoyed by many visitors.

All were very welcome, but none more so than FOUNDER MEMBER (1961) Pat (Paddy) Finch.

Here he is with his wife Joyce and current club Hon.Sec. Gerald Laborda  (l/h) and current Chairman Paul Raven-Hill (r/h).

IMG_20190713_123851.jpg.dbd9ddb08c13bf532c38d1d2db93c532.jpg

Later Pat caught up with old friend and ex-Chairman Steve Waterfield.

IMG_20190713_150721.jpg.2441ceec0b8cc81ad5b875b4fe735196.jpg

• RMweb Premium

A good day. And in my case at least a very busy day. I was seldom without an audience and found it hard to get even five minutes for lunch!  

The interest in weathering seems to be on the increase and I have been asked to return on a club night or workday to give more detailed instruction in the form, perhaps, of a master class. 

In the upper image in the post above I am behind left of the named group with my Penhayle Bay totem clearly visible. 

Thank you T&DMRC for the invitation and I’ll see you again later in the year. 

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

In the upper image in the post above I am behind left of the named group with my Penhayle Bay totem clearly visible. 

Thank you T&DMRC for the invitation and I’ll see you again later in the year. 

Here you are!

1465692193_IMG_20190713_143924(2).jpg.f28d0b33529e1862eac4b5338b568df5.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

Here are some more photos from our open day taken on a mobile phone. Apologies for the quality of some of them and if anyone has better ones please post them

Pride of place this year went to ADDISON ROAD our awe-inspiring O gauge layout...……………...

IMG_20190713_143843.jpg.da017dd3a203ae9e1b97209cc7b06ec7.jpg

One amazing fact with regard to this layout is that many of the team behind it don't normally model in 7mm - or at least didn't when they joined the club! That is one of the GREAT things about joining our club (or indeed any club) - you don't have to model in a club in the same gauge/era/country as you do at home. Model in OO, but always fancied that Dapol O gauge Terrier? Then in every sense of the phrase -  JOIN THE CLUB!

Seriously though,  many of us only have room at home for OO or N, but by joining a club you can 'dabble' in another gauge.

At the other end of the spectrum from ADDISON ROAD we had our kiddie's 'DRIVE-A-TRAIN' layout...………….

IMG_20190713_134501.jpg.b40931276fb0a42bb7ca2902f7acf921.jpg

Somewhere in between those two extremes we had Robin with our 'shunting puzzle' layout with visitors invited to 'Have-A-Go!'

IMG_20190713_152643.jpg.b283deaffc43d5319c2d90dbf7997344.jpg

Our 'current scene' diesel era  layout was operating and gaining lots of interest  ……………...

IMG_20190713_144022.jpg.ce13bdcfcf62eafebdf47f02b914a476.jpg

There's a new N gauge layout on the horizon (baseboards built!) but this year we showed off our current modular N gauge layout …………...

IMG_20190713_144033.jpg.ab06fb2dd37c01098ebdcd0ad0466814.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

Did YOU come to our Open Day?

Do YOU like what you've seen about Twickenham MRC?

Want to know more about the club?

Well you're all invited this Friday for our annual 'post open day' summer BBQ - come and meet the members in a social situation and learn about the club and its plans for the future.

Moreover, we will be having our Multi Gauge Running Track up - 14 gauges are catered for, from Z to Gauge 1 - and bring down some of YOUR stock to show us.

Here's a photo of our running tracks at a previous open day ….

post-4476-0-19233500-1438554745_thumb.jpg.c74bc6e2d1a7cd13eec8c35e726da851.jpg

And just to show just how inclusive we are, here is a (very) rare photo of someone running something on the 'S' gauge circuit

YES, that's right our 14 gauges even include 'S' gauge!

Ipost-4476-0-58286700-1438554857_thumb.jpg.35c629a4eec8979d0fc2f97f59baed49.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

GOOD NEWS & BAD NEWS!

GOOD NEWS : Several potential new members cam down to our clubrooms last Friday!

BAD NEWS : We had to cancel the BBQ because of the rain!

GOOD NEWS : We're having the BBQ this Friday instead!  All potential members welcome!

• 1 month later...

Model railway clubs are a bit like icebergs - what the public sees (at a show for example) is only a small part of what goes on in a club below the surface.

Like many clubs these days, Twickenham & District MRC runs a s/h sales stand at their open day (or exhibition) and this provides the club with a significant percentage of our annual income.

We rely on the generosity of members, ex-members and well-wishers to donate their unwanted models - some of which date back decades!

Unsold stock then gets sold on ebay  - after checking/cleaning/restoring the models to show them at their best.

Recently we were donated a large consignment of Hornby DUBLO Pullmans ………….. they had sat in am loft for years and looked like this …………..

DSC_0102.JPG.d92616f711956f7ab6c9c6fc1800d1d8.JPG

After 10 minutes TLC they looked like this ………………….

DSC_0106.JPG.905350388d60521cdcdb4170a96befd8.JPG

18 x 10 = 180 minutes = 3 hours just cleaning them up! Anyway do look out for them on ebay as we will be listing them ( and many other donated items) over the next few weeks - search ebay for seller 'chinarailpaul'.

If you are an ex-member of Twickenham club or just a wellwisher or you just want to get rid of some old models that are cluttering up your loft please consider donating s/h to T&DMRC  - contact me or the Club via our website www.tdmrc.org.uk - THANKS!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 4 months later...

Firstly of all a Happy New Year to all of you reading this thread and supporting Twickenham & District MRC.

There are at least two privately owned layouts within the club which are currently doing the rounds of the exhibition circuit.

Orange River & Portland - an FN3 American narrow gauge layout which is BIG in every sense  - will be at the CMRA show in Stevenage this weekend Jan 11/12.

Now, some of you might not know what FN3 is and so let me explain that FN3 is generally US prototype and is 'proper' G gauge. By that I mean it's made to a consistent scale of 1:20.3 which means that the 45mm gauge track works out to represent exactly 3 ft - so ideal for American narrow gauge which is (mostly) 3 ft gauge.

Orange River & Portland has been touring the UK and Europe for several years now and flying the T&DMRC flag - do come along to Stevenage and say 'hello'.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Firstly of all a Happy New Year to all of you reading this thread and supporting Twickenham & District MRC.

There are at least two privately owned layouts within the club which are currently doing the rounds of the exhibition circuit.

Orange River - an FN3 American narrow gauge layout which is BIG in every sense  - will be at the CMRA show in Stevenage this weekend Jan 11/12.

Now, some of you might not know what FN3 is and so let me explain that FN3 is generally US prototype and is 'proper' G gauge. By that I mean it's made to a consistent scale of 1:20.3 which means that the 45mm gauge track works out to represent exactly 3 ft - so ideal for American narrow gauge which is (mostly) 3 ft gauge.

Orange River has been touring the UK and Europe for several years now and flying the T&DMRC flag - do come along to Stevenage and say 'hello'.

Here's a taster of OR&P.  It's 45ft overall.

456403459_orp3.JPG.5536a5ade3f22b9d1e0b915d29575c88.JPG

The station building  has 2500 individual wooden shingles on the roof .  Mad? very probably. We are a small team on this one, the van is packed to roof as everything over 65mm  ( the buildings, trees larger accessories etc.) have to be removed for transport and storage. Buildings have their own boxes, the General Store  has a box 700mm square and 600mm high.

If you like this sort of thing or would simply like to know more about the layout, you will be very welcome

Stevenage - a great show, the layout list looks great this year.

Steve W

Edited by steve W
spelling/added sentence

• 3 weeks later...