steve W

TWICKENHAM & DISTRICT MRC

This is just a plug for Twickenham & District MRC and clubs in general - clubs are great places to meet (face to face) other enthusiasts and gain experience and help in all sorts of ways.

I must (yet again) send my thanks to fellow T&DMRC members for their help and support with me somewhat over-ambitious layout project. I won't name names (because everyone would start pestering them!) but two T&DMRC members in particular have made substantial contributions to my personal project - that's what clubs are about, members helping each other!

So wherever you live - go and visit your local club and join and gain the benefits of being part of a local community of fellow modellers - and if you live anywhere near West London join Twickenham & District MRC. I emphasise the expression '& District'  as we currently have active members in Berlin and Chicago (not to mention Watford!), so visit their website www.tdmrc.org.uk and pay us a visit one Friday!

• Like 1

In the current circumstances it will come as no surprise that Twickenham & District MRC are stopping their Friday night club meetings until further notice.

In the meantime do look at our website www.tdmrc.org.uk  for what the club offers modellers in all scales and gauges

T&D MRC has cancelled all meetings, but we are ready to re-start  as soon as we get the signal.

soller3b.jpg.e48d93174c4ee7fc16c1e289a46c9fbb.jpg

Stay safe everyone, we hope to welcome you to the Club later in the year.

Steve W.

Posted (edited)

Although the club itself is closed, individual members continue to work away on their personal layouts.

Paul Stapleton is using his time to add a Faller roadway to his HO layout. Watch how the truck does a little wiggle around the parked estate car  ……………...

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

Twickenham MRC are in process of setting up their own dedicated YOUTUBE channel to promote the club by showing its members and groups' activities but if you visit my YOUTUBE channel you will find several old videos which I have on my channel until the new site is up and running.

Here is a video showing our 50th Anniversary exhibition in 2011 …………….

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It's not only old videos that have been reviewed during lockdown, but the printed word as well.

Back in the mid-1980's a private group of Twickenham MRC members had an excellent (and very large) 7mm exhibition layout called Clamphill, but the club itself had no O gauge layout. It was suggested at an AGM that the club itself should have a 7mm layout in order to attract O gauge modellers to the club, but it would have to be small, at least to begin with. However, the members who already had (the large) Clamphill were not interested in building a small shunting layout. So, there was an impasse, the club wanted to build a 7mm layout in order to attract new club members, but the club's existing O gaugers already had something bigger and better and so weren't interested. There was only one way forward - and so the club's first tentative venture was a somewhat speculative affair built by 'club-minded' members who didn't actually model in 7mm, but who felt this was a good thing for the club to have.

The result was PORT WARREN, which was a huge success and which begat WATERSFIELD which in turn begat ADDISON ROAD. So Twickenham club now has a very large and very well known 7mm layout, but it all sprang from PORT WARREN.

DSC_0118.JPG.01a2a126382e9a9b0e12c888693b9371.JPG

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Have been looking through archives and found the photos I took of Port Warren back in the 1980's.....

1515932394_0007(1).jpg.2de1318755ebaf01b681a87c90c45fed.jpg  

710784187_0005(1).jpg.5617a0aaebbffe7826f0f39f8c32524f.jpg

781372608_0021(1).jpg.38ff737692864ec2906ec1e4aa97086e.jpg

556663228_0016(1).jpg.cd5d972a97f3fe8d28cc5a1bd78979ac.jpg

633175535_0024(1).jpg.826122f35a8cc8085c031ba267e9c7f3.jpg       

And I've found this photo of a running session  - now we know who the two guys are in the background, but who's that young (then!) guy actually running trains? Is that YOU?

If that is you, or if you know who he is, please let us know!

559034936_0023(1).jpg.aa274cc155f230b6f82d105b929a9bb0.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

And here's another one!

0008.jpg.8bf706d8b4f268f085af210f718beea0.jpg