Silicone mould

killucan2

It's not quite as simple as that, the parts have to be designed to take a cast from it, draught, edges, clearances, and allowances for shrinkage etc, and rarely could a complete shell be used as a master.

There are suppliers like Tiranti who can help with materials for home casting, but finding an expert to do the work may be difficult, as those like me who have experience of master making,usually deal with our own work., we know the pitfalls.

There may be members here who have the contacts, and it would need careful examination of the shell to assess how practical it would be to cast.from it.

You do not mention the size, is it 2mm or 4mm? makes a world of difference. Resin cast copies of static display locos and loco shells are done, but close examination of the castings shows that they have contraction distortion.. Where precision castings are needed for a kit, all of this is allowed for in the design, with multiple parts or strengthened moulds, and a lot of skill from the mould maker, and caster..

Hope this helps, you may find a way.

Stephen.

Where abouts are you based. I may be able to help but, as Bertiedog notes, sight of the items to be cast is needed and a complete shell is difficult unless you use one of the larger casting firms, certainly not something I would reccomend for the inexperienced beginner. Separate sides ends and roof are very much simpler.

I shall be demonstrating casting at Mickleover near Derby this coming Saturday(and will have gloves etc with me if anyone wants a go!). See exhibition part of forum, 7mm NGA Open Day.

I will also be at Stafford Model Railway Exhibition on the 5th and 6th of February, again demonstrating alongside my trade stand.

Regards

Phil Traxson

Port Wynnstay Models

Archived