Ranelagh Bridge Road

Danemouth

One of my friends at Bay MRG in Cardiff, Paul (Naturol of this very parish) has built Ranelagh Bridge Road on a standard flush door. Here are some shots, unfortunately condition were a bit cramped so some of the angles are slightly off.

post-7048-0-23312800-1295380961_thumb.jpg

Overall views:

post-7048-0-89760400-1295380951_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-26861800-1295380927_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-77987600-1295380920_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-85972700-1295380921_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-59279100-1295380922_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-89857800-1295380924_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-84666000-1295380925_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-88678800-1295380952_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-72678900-1295380953_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-54098600-1295380954_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-80478600-1295380955_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-46146100-1295380957_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-53182200-1295380958_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-50846000-1295380959_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-47450500-1295380960_thumb.jpg

and finally some stock that would not have been seen there - my Xmas prezzies being shown to club members :D

post-7048-0-89495800-1295380917_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-82219300-1295380918_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-75914800-1295380919_thumb.jpg

Paul's internet access is a trifle intermittent but doubtless he will be happy to answer questions.

Dave

post-7048-0-89413100-1295380923_thumb.jpg

Nice layout,pity the scaffolding bears no resemblance to the real thing even in the sixties.Always seems a shame to me after building a cracking looking layout to put put a major building like that with scaffolding without really looking how the real stuff is erected.Seen it loads of times on layouts so the builder of this one is not alone.No offence meant!

Dave,

Very impressive photos, my I express my thanks on behalf of Paul.

Fantastic! love the scaffolding - any details on it's construction?

I'm sure once his internet access improves, Paul (naturol) will be only to happy to tell you how it's done. I can say that it was built using a florists / jewellery wire purchased from Hobbycraft.

Nice layout,pity the scaffolding bears no resemblance to the real thing even in the sixties.Always seems a shame to me after building a cracking looking layout to put put a major building like that with scaffolding without really looking how the real stuff is erected.Seen it loads of times on layouts so the builder of this one is not alone.No offence meant!

I can't comment on it's accuracy, other than to say he's no stranger to scaffolding, perhaps he should have referred to the article in an early 1960s RM by a certain Mr Trestrail, of course, bowing to superior knowledge, and from someone who's identified a recurring error - perhaps a new thread on 'accurate scaffolding' may be useful.

Brian R

Hi,

Captures the flavour perfectly of the depot, It just screams out it's location.

With regards to the scaffolding - well it might not be spot on, but it's pretty close and unless you are an ex scaffolder or life long site builder you would never be any the wiser.

John

I wouldn't want to live there, looks a right dump to me ! :D

But Naturol is, I feel, to be commended for the amount of detail he's put into the building site. That scaffolding must have taken many hours, and looking at the photos shows a great care for detail. Well done, sir !

Dennis

• RMweb Gold

Instantly recognisable and captures the 'look' of the place rather well I think despite not all of the backscene being exact. My only query is that Class 33 thingy creeping into the scene although the place was 'graced' on at least one occasion by one of those Class 46 devices (and it didn't break anything or itself despite not being officially allowed.)

Ooh, nice building site. Needs more builders drinking tea and yelling at women..........

Best, Pete.

I think Olivia's Trains are developing a sound decoder for ribald builders but have only been able to source Yorkshire accents so far.

The layout is crying out for a Warship, though.

I think Olivia's Trains are developing a sound decoder for ribald builders but have only been able to source Yorkshire accents so far.

The layout is crying out for a Warship, though.

Does a wolf whistle have an accent? blink.gif

My only query is that Class 33 thingy creeping into the scene ...................

When Dave was snapping away, the only (remotely) suitable locos other than the 'thousands' were the 'Slim Jim' and a large logo Cl.50. . . . . . and I do like Cromptons (stems from their summer dated visits to Cardiff in the early 70s).

Earlier Ranelagh Bridge yard had been graced with the presence of ....... an On30 2-8-0, pity that wasn't caught on film, the scaffolding would have been the least of Paul's worries !

The work to the buildings backing onto the yard appears to be a council 'directlabour' job, judging by the lack of movement by the workers ! (I can say that being a former council employee !).

I think political correctness has even killed off the ribald comments of builders ....... or, is it down to equality, with a group of girls walking past a site shouting at the workers "Oi ! get yer pecs out for the girls !"

Brian R

Although I note the comments about scaffolding inaccuracy, that's a cracking piece of modelling. Always liked Ranelagh Bridge as a little project but never really got round to looking at the practicalities of how to make it fit the space I have - although being more of a Southern modeller myself it is, of course, connected to the wrong terminus...

Although I note the comments about scaffolding inaccuracy, that's a cracking piece of modelling. Always liked Ranelagh Bridge as a little project but never really got round to looking at the practicalities of how to make it fit the space I have - although being more of a Southern modeller myself it is, of course, connected to the wrong terminus...

You could always look 'saaarf of the rivvu' at somewhere like 'Ewer Street' and adapt it accordingly, just think about the arches, bridges, smelly fruit across the tracks ........

Brian R

A cracking little layout there mate. The scaffold may not be perfect but it is a pretty good representation and safer looking than some of the stuff i have walked on over the years and even in this day and age with the various humpty dumpty building companies that pop up from time to time.;)

Hi,

Captures the flavour perfectly of the depot, It just screams out it's location.

With regards to the scaffolding - well it might not be spot on, but it's pretty close and unless you are an ex scaffolder or life long site builder you would never be any the wiser.

John

I think people are missing the point.Modellers go to great lengths to model an era accurately with locos and rolling stock and vehicles,so why not do the same with something like the scaffolding.You don't get people saying that locos near enough to that era or the rolling stock is near enough so why do it with something so large on a layout.As a scaffolder for over 40 years it's probably the one thing I do know a lot about.Even in the 60's big jobs would never be a rough as the one portrayed.The bracing is wrong ,lift heights are wrong,in real life it would have collapsed after about two lifts!!!!!!!!!!

I think people are missing the point.Modellers go to great lengths to model an era accurately with locos and rolling stock and vehicles,so why not do the same with something like the scaffolding.You don't get people saying that locos near enough to that era or the rolling stock is near enough so why do it with something so large on a layout.As a scaffolder for over 40 years it's probably the one thing I do know a lot about.Even in the 60's big jobs would never be a rough as the one portrayed.The bracing is wrong ,lift heights are wrong,in real life it would have collapsed after about two lifts!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

As in my original post I suggested you might be a scaffolder and I was correct, to yourself and any other chaps that do your job it is a very technical and skilled job for whom the slightest mistake would stand out a mile, but to most others they would be none the wiser.

Your point about getting it right on rolling stock and it not be accepted if it is wrong is fully justified, but that is because everyone of us knows what we are looking for in rolling stock.

In one of my own exhibition layouts a chap came up to me and said ' that is just perfect' - what's that I asked? Your TV aerials are all pointing in the same direction and the right type for that era, Oh, I am an ex TV engineer he replied. No one ever commented to me about the TV aerials again at any show!

John

Shame the track is 7" under scale gauge, the locos don't run on diesel fuel but electricity, the people don't move, the turntable is wrong . . . . . . . . no one or nothing is perfect, we're all open to improvement, and all willing to learn, it's just the way the message is sometimes delivered.

Brian R

Keeping well clear of the topic of scaffolding, this is a great model with some superb detailing. Personally i think the construction area makes an interesting backscene that is a change from the norm.

And to echo an earlier comment a Warship would certainly finish things off.

Great work

Nik

Folks,

As well as the 'thousands' we do have Warships, the odd 'Brush' and a few other locos you'd expect to find at Ranelagh Bridge, it was unfortunate they were still in their boxes when Dave took the photos.

But, watch this space.

Brian R

Archived