HEBRIDEAN ISLES FERRY

carl1967

Hi Carl,

I'm pleased this one made it over to the new site - it is one I've been watching. It is amazing how big even small ships are when shown alongside model locomotives. Years ago I made a scale model of the trawler Gaul ( on an oil rig - from scarp card ) and I couldn't believe how large it seemed when I got it home.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one comes along.

Cheers,

Chris.

Very impressive, Carl perhaps you should consider becoming a full time model maker! This ship is certainly going to

be the talking place once berthed on the layout...

Cannot wait to see it fully painted and lettered:icon_clap:

well done

keith

Hi all

thanks for the comments biggrin.gif

been doing the mast tonight, its not finished, and its in primer.

I have put a picture of the real ferry on so you can see what it will look like when finished.

Carl

post-6809-12553937531268_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12553937635972_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12553938429414_thumb.jpg

i have put the glazing in but you can not see it in the pictures..lol

Which means that you have done it very well.

As somebody who took about 3 years to build a Thames Barge I am very impressed. I have seen a similar construction method used on a barge in 1:24 scale but I reckon that you have taken things to a higher level.

Bernard

Hi Carl,

That is really rather nice. Is it a water line model? I know you are not the end user of this model, but will it be posed along-side or under-way? If it is going to be along-side then all the linkspan and other dockside equipment will be pretty large too I would imagine.

Great stuff, and thanks for sharing,

Chris.

Hi Carl,

I suppose you just fashioned that out of 2 egg boxes and a cotton reellaugh.gif

Superb!

In answer to the previous post, ship will be stern into a linkspan at Caolisport. Am in the process of extending my harbour area, good job I have plenty of room. Cal mac ferry terminals especially on the islands are very simple affairs with a narrow jetty and simple linkspan for either bow or stern loading.

Here is a picture of where the linkspan and jetty will go out from at Caolisport top of the picture where the card is placed.

post-7043-12554330512689_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

Hi Carl,

That is really rather nice. Is it a water line model? I know you are not the end user of this model, but will it be posed along-side or under-way? If it is going to be along-side then all the linkspan and other dockside equipment will be pretty large too I would imagine.

Great stuff, and thanks for sharing,

Chris.

Thanks Chris

It??™s a water line model. It will be docked in port on the layout, the port is under constucktion and will have the linkspan and jetty and cal mac booking office and refueling station.

I am making the rear loading ramp folding so can go to sea on its ferry service to and fro.

This is the 1st of 2 ferrys for this layout, the other is Columba, when it was in service as a ferry, it is now a cruise ship renamed Hebridean Princess.

So when Hebridean isles is not in port, Columba will, and so on!

What a talking point these boats will be! Having seen how much trouble is going into getting the ferry right

just wish I had room for one, although it would have to sail here first!

Would love one on the shop counter just to see what comments I got!!!

cheers

Keith

This is a simply stunning piece of work - WOW!

I can't remember if you had put any of this on the old forum but I'd love to know what you are basing the model on as well as the pictures if anything?

Do you have scale plans or drawings of the boat and if so how did you get them?

Have you modelled the gadgets etc. on the bridge from photos, plans or just what looks right?

Again, this is an amazing piece of work. I can only dream of attempting something similar one day!

• Agree 1

hi

I do not have scale plans or drawings of this boat, i have them for other calmac ferrys, so this one is all done from pictures and the real ferrys length and width.

The overall dimensions of the model are 44 ins long by 8 ins wide and 13 1/2 ins high from water line to top of the mast.

carl

Hi all

I have been doing the roof on the bridge today, see pictures.

Mike I think you kneed to rethink your linkspan plan! I think you underestimate the size of this model, as do most on here!! Looking at the pic you have posted on this thread, you have Hornby tankers! I have put the same Hornby tanker on the back of the ferry for you to compare.

As for having Heb and Columba in at the same time mite be pushing it abit! I will do a plan for you so I can try work your linkspan and jetty out so you can fit them both in.

Heb is 51ft wide; Columba is 46ft wide so there is only 24mm in it.

post-6809-12556155959569_thumb.jpg

post-6809-1255615626907_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12556156602757_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12556156795616_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12556156994544_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12556157267215_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12556157608312_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12556157984509_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12556158225925_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12556158580978_thumb.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi again Carl,

Just thought I'd let you know I'm not watching this thread at all. Not even going to look at a single pic.

How can you keep doing this to me? wink.gif laugh.gif

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

(Stunning pics by the way. Coming along very nicely indeed. Not that I'm looking at all mind)

• Funny 1

Hi Carl,

Thanks for that.

I am extending the base board out by 1.6m. This should give me 20cm or so between the bow and the wall/rafters. Heb will then be 'stern in' following the line of the railway. The width of the linkspan is going to be 12cm. Height of linkspan ramp from sea is going to be 2cm. Length of ramp between Harbour wall and end 15cm.

What do you think?

cheerio

Mike