Llanybarachel

Grafarman

• RMweb Gold

Grafarman

Don't be afraid of the thread getting long. One of the benefits is that you get to see the end to end evolution of something. If you look around you will find some threads that are 10's of pages long providing the full history. I have one that has got to around 3 pages so far and i'm just thinking about how to cover the land formers.

As far as your layout goes it appeals to me as its trains through the landscape which is something that I have grown to like. Before I started my current layout I was mulling over a scene with the line running alongside surburbia, with the back gardens of a bunch of semi's just sitting above the line. Do you have any drain pipes you can add to them by the way?

• RMweb Premium

Grafarman

Don't be afraid of the thread getting long. One of the benefits is that you get to see the end to end evolution of something. If you look around you will find some threads that are 10's of pages long providing the full history. I have one that has got to around 3 pages so far and i'm just thinking about how to cover the land formers.

As far as your layout goes it appeals to me as its trains through the landscape which is something that I have grown to like. Before I started my current layout I was mulling over a scene with the line running alongside surburbia, with the back gardens of a bunch of semi's just sitting above the line. Do you have any drain pipes you can add to them by the way?

Thanks for the tip; I'll stay with this one now !! It was just that it wasn't loading very quickly on the PC so I thought it might be too big; I stand corrected ;).

I have guttering and drain pipes which I haven't put on yet as the roofs are all loose - I've yet to put the curtains and blinds inside - so I didn't want to knock them off in the process. I can put them on afterwards in situ with tweezers. I tend to work that way to see how the house looks in its position before detailing so I can get the overall picture first and see what's needed...

A couple of the buildings have them already as they were left over from a previous layout.

• RMweb Gold

Its images that slow things down, but after each 25 posts a new page is added, and each page and associated graphics is loaded in turn.

One other question about the point motors. I take it those are the peco motors that I have seen advertised for OO? How have you gone about ensuring they stay in place? My reason for asking is I have PL10 point motors side mounted in my fiddle yard, but 2 of them come over the edge in to the scenic area. (I mean't to have 13 inches for the fiddle yard nut only built 12. Doh)

• RMweb Premium

Its images that slow things down, but after each 25 posts a new page is added, and each page and associated graphics is loaded in turn.

One other question about the point motors. I take it those are the peco motors that I have seen advertised for OO? How have you gone about ensuring they stay in place? My reason for asking is I have PL10 point motors side mounted in my fiddle yard, but 2 of them come over the edge in to the scenic area. (I mean't to have 13 inches for the fiddle yard nut only built 12. Doh)

Aaah, that's how it works :rolleyes: I'll remember that...

The point motors; well, I'm using underlay so the height/size issue is minimal, and I simply fiddled about slotting the pegs against or slightly under the sleepers so it was close enough to throw the point. They do have to be firmly nailed down though with track pins or they won't work... I've found them to be really good; I throw them in pairs for all the loops and they've not been a problem. If you don't have underlay or a cork bed you will have to raise the point another way or channel out a trench for the motor otherwise the motor will be too high to connect properly. Hope that helps; feel free to ask again if not !!!

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

Not much to report this weekend as have been a bit busy elsewhere, but I've taken more pics of the layout and some of my stock so I'll post them during the week.

Here's a taster:

post-10897-0-86774800-1296427046_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-85847000-1296427083_thumb.jpg

Oh, and here's one of those panaromic-shot thingys of the whole layout (need to work on the photo joins - it looks like there's two goods sheds; I'll try again tomorrow !!):

post-10897-0-29059500-1296427280_thumb.jpg

Back tomorrow...;)

• RMweb Premium

Here are a couple of shots of the old derelict Goods Shed; I built the Ratio kit and then took a scalpel to it !!

It's reminiscent of the goods shed adjacent to the old Prestatyn station, and is similar to the one at Meliden where I used to play as a child.

post-10897-0-06254700-1296478121_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-82348300-1296478166_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

This is a picture of the roadbridge at the back of the layout - the Bachmann trees help to hide it away...

post-10897-0-82173900-1296478382_thumb.jpg

And here's a shot of the Station Master's house, clearly undergoing a refit judging by the skip...the roof is loose to allow access for later detailing and the point motor hidden underneath, hence the seam down the gulley...

post-10897-0-87587500-1296478516_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thought at this point I would show some pics of my LMS 4-6-2 6233 Duchess of Sutherland, which has been improved no end by Nick at NBrass with his own bufferbeam detail and front bogies...

post-10897-0-49014900-1296483927_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-71512100-1296483938_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-42657400-1296483949_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-24176000-1296483959_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

And finally for today, a couple of 66's simmering in the old goods loop, no doubt waiting to be called to Penmaenmawr quarry for stone-hauling duties...

post-10897-0-19897100-1296485230_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-49264100-1296485245_thumb.jpg

None of my locos have been weathered as yet, and only a few have their detailing packs put on; this will form my main project once the bulk of the layout is finished. My main interest is watching the trains go by, as I did from the footbridge or from Point of Ayr crossing, and thus making sure the locos and stock are as near as possible to the ones I remember is one of my goals.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see the difference that the n brass bogies make, they do improve the look of the locos. Have you considered darkening the motion on the duchess?

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see the difference that the n brass bogies make, they do improve the look of the locos. Have you considered darkening the motion on the duchess?

They do make a huge difference don't they; I've got an A4 about to be sent off for the same treatment...

Darkening the motion - it would be good to do that but it's not in my knowledge range I'm afraid !!

All suggestions gratefully received...;)

• RMweb Premium

Darkening the motion - it would be good to do that but it's not in my knowledge range I'm afraid !!

All suggestions gratefully received...;)

A decent permeant marker will work. You might need to re do it occasionally but the effect worth it. Other options include paint, or blackening fluid. I've not used either (on n gauge motion) so can't comment on these.

• RMweb Premium

A decent permeant marker will work. You might need to re do it occasionally but the effect worth it. Other options include paint, or blackening fluid. I've not used either (on n gauge motion) so can't comment on these.

Thanks for that; maybe I'll try with a drywipe marker first just in case, and then progress to permanent...:P

• RMweb Premium

Thought at this point it would be good to show the photos I'm using for my backscene. They're all of the hills at the back of Prestatyn, taken by my Dad early one morning. They are deliberately hazy to give a general overall background without being too obvious...

post-10897-0-10899800-1296742462_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-24407200-1296742482_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-01664600-1296742503_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-28861200-1296742516_thumb.jpg

I also use this one for filling-in and overlaying:

post-10897-0-32035100-1296742575_thumb.jpg

I'm intending to send them off to be made into a continuous run using one the companies in Peter Marriott's article in MR147; if anyone has any experience in using these people or similar I would be grateful for some feedback...

• RMweb Premium

An excellent layout - well done.

That old goods shed wouldn't lie dormant for long 'round here - there would be a car repair shop or agricultural machinery repair shop in there by now.

• RMweb Premium

More piccies:

Changed the incumbent trains around to make space for the LMS express with my upgraded Duchess - the coaches are old Farish ones:

post-10897-0-67661900-1297175956_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-90187300-1297175966_thumb.jpg

I would really like to hear from anyone who knows if the chap selling black paper N gauge corridor connections is still trading as I put them on this train several years ago but now I need a few dozen more !!

I picked up these old Lima Freightliner wagons some time ago - they look ok, but I think I may like to replace them with newer versions or update them; anyone with experience of upgrading old Lima stuff?!

post-10897-0-53085900-1297175985_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-30529900-1297175998_thumb.jpg

And Finally...

Yes, I know everyone probably has one by now but I couldn't resist :P still haven't found an appropriate figure with an obvious bow-tie and a lady with long red hair - any suggestions??!!!

post-10897-0-58934400-1297176008_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

People appeared on the layout for the first time last weekend. I used the new Bachmann/Farish range and some old Modelscene ones I had which my Dad painted a few years ago...certainly adds a bit of life and colour...I've tried to avoid the "stationary movement" ones of people running etc. so creating something more believable...

post-10897-0-24304300-1297764909_thumb.jpg

Someone's taking a keen interest in the old mechanical horse, and the man in blue must have his life savings in that holdall by the way he's leaning over !!

post-10897-0-44226800-1297764925_thumb.jpg

Looks like the Station Master's house is being stripped out, and they're about to dig up the car park outside...at least one of them is !!

post-10897-0-35480500-1297764975_thumb.jpg

They're still there at Sunset so clearly a rush-job then...!

post-10897-0-20666700-1297765030_thumb.jpg

I put drivers into my steam locos too; here's one hanging out of the large Prairie - probably trying to see round the curve !

post-10897-0-49252000-1297765002_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, wonder who that chap is standing on the footbridge watching the trains go by (must admit I don't remember owning a yellow jacket but I didn't have time for a repaint !!)

post-10897-0-61291900-1297765083_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The people are helping bring this to life.

As far as the old lima wagons go. You could upgrade them but not much of the original wagon would be left if you wanted something really good. For a quick fix I would have those wheelsets out and replace them with some wheels that have much smaller flanges. The wagons also look to be riding very high so taking a little off the bogie mounting point would help this.

• RMweb Premium

For a quick fix I would have those wheelsets out and replace them with some wheels that have much smaller flanges.

Thanks for the tip - could you please recommend some; I'm not up on wheel suppliers, etc.

The wagons also look to be riding very high so taking a little off the bogie mounting point would help this.

Will have a go on one next weekend; thank you

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the tip - could you please recommend some; I'm not up on wheel suppliers, etc.

First thing to do is whip a wheel set out and measure it's length. Most available n gauge wheels are on 15.2mm long axles. Some older stock is different. If these are not 15.2mm then you might need to change the whole bogie. BRlines do Farish ones. If the axles are 15.2mm then many shops carry Bachfarish 3 hole wagon wheels which will fit. I have a feeling that these should have small wheels (not sure on this point as I am not fully up on these wagons). If this is the case then I am not sure if you can get these.

This link to Paul Bartlets site shows how much gap you should have.

• RMweb Premium

First thing to do is whip a wheel set out and measure it's length. Most available n gauge wheels are on 15.2mm long axles. Some older stock is different. If these are not 15.2mm then you might need to change the whole bogie. BRlines do Farish ones. If the axles are 15.2mm then many shops carry Bachfarish 3 hole wagon wheels which will fit. I have a feeling that these should have small wheels (not sure on this point as I am not fully up on these wagons). If this is the case then I am not sure if you can get these.

This link to Paul Bartlets site shows how much gap you should have.

Excellent; thanks for this - will make investigations....

• RMweb Gold

I have a feeling that these should have small wheels (not sure on this point as I am not fully up on these wagons). If this is the case then I am not sure if you can get these.

Freightliner flats should have smaller wheels than the standard 6.2mm wheels. TPM used to do a kit for upgrading the Farish flats which included smaller wheels (5.1mm?) but it has been out of stock for ages now and I am not sure it would fit on Lima flats.

You could try Parkside Dundas or the NGS for smaller wheels.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

Freightliner flats should have smaller wheels than the standard 6.2mm wheels. TPM used to do a kit for upgrading the Farish flats which included smaller wheels (5.1mm?) but it has been out of stock for ages now and I am not sure it would fit on Lima flats.

You could try Parkside Dundas or the NGS for smaller wheels.

Cheers, Mike

Thought that was the case, thanks for confirming.

Archived