Farish 08 couplings

happyChappy

Most of my Farish locos and stock have Microtrains (MT) couplings fitted as I prefer hands-free uncoupling. My most recent loco acquisition that needs this modification is the new Farish 08 shunter but it has completely stumped me as the NEM coupling pocket area is so tightly confined and leaves no room for the MT coupling housing. Other NEM coupling Farish diesels have been relatively straightforward but not the 08.

Are there any of you ingenious N gauge modellers who have managed to fit MTs to the new 08 and can explain how you've gone about it?

I know that proposed Bachmann NEM auto coupling may possibly be MT compatible, (oh please, please, let it be so!), but this option always seems to be sometime in the distant future and may well not provide an answer when it does finally appear. Meanwhile, I'm using a 'barrier' wagon with a rapido coupling on one end to couple to the shunter and an MT on the other end to couple with the wagon rake but it's not a very elegant solution.

Cheers

HC

• RMweb Gold

Hello HC,

The US Bachmann version of the knuckle coupler is known as Easi-mate, and it has been on the market there for around 18 months now. I believe they are compatible with Microtrains but US modelling forums will give a more clear cut answer.

Farish are expected to begin phasing a UK version, compatible with NEM sockets, on new models from later this year. I anticipate that Farish may say a little more about progress on their coupler at the Bachmann Toy Fair in a few weeks.

cheers

Ben A.

Farish are expected to begin phasing a UK version, compatible with NEM sockets, on new models from later this year. I anticipate that Farish may say a little more about progress on their coupler at the Bachmann Toy Fair in a few weeks.

Aargh! Just when I had decided to go ahead and lay the track on my layout. I have been waiting almost a year in the hope of some news about couplings. The annoying thing about MT style couplings is that the magnets need to go down at the same time as the track, you can't really fit them later.

Maybe I will try and hold on a few more weeks.

The Bachmann US Easi-mate couplings are not designed to fit NEM sockets as they don't have NEM sockets in the US. They are, however, Microtrains (MT) compatible, (as you say, Ben A), probably because they would have been crazy not to make them so, (I may be wrong but the MT seems to be almost as popular in the US as the rapido coupling is here in the UK).

Bachmann UK (Farish) is a completely separate business from Bachmann US as the latter are quick to clarify if you ask them anything about Farish products. It is, therefore, not a forgone conclusion that the UK couplings, which will have to be of a completely new design to fit the NEM sockets, will be anything like the Easi-mate ones that already exist. I'm just hoping the UK NEM couplings will couple to MT but, if not, MT could well find a business opportunity staring them in the face. So, Karhedron, you could well be correct in what you say about MT considering a NEM version.

If I were you, Karhedron, I'd hold on if you can with the layout construction but who knows when or if any coupling announcements will be forthcoming from Farish in the near future. You could always resort to between-the-rails uncouplers at a later date.

So back to the 08 shunter and the barrier wagon - unless anyone can help........

Cheers,

HC

• RMweb Gold

As Karhedron says, MT have been "considering" an NEM MT coupling for at least 2 years - they seem to operate on the same timescales as Peco (ie Geological era rather months/years ;)). Bachmann (UK) have said that their version (compatible) with MT will come - it is just a question of when.

Cheers, Mike

Hello all,

Wow - thanks Ben A for that 'golden nugget'. Your information regarding the similarity between the new Farish UK coupling and the Bachmann US Easi-mate suggests my problems may soon be over and even my Farish 08 will finally have hands-free uncoupling. Roll on the new coupling.

Judging from the lack of response here from anyone who has actually managed to convert a new 08 using Microtrains couplings there must be others of you out there who will also applaud this information.

I'll quietly wait patiently for the new coupling to appear.

Cheers,

HC

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

As a footnote to this topic I've finally managed to solve the difficulty I had of fitting MT couplings to the latest Farish 08.

The problem I was having was on account of the loco's plastic baseplate, (item 5 on the parts diagram that accompanies the loco), being apparently fixed somehow at the front to the underside of the cast metal chassis block. This fixing was eventually found to be only thick black paint. Once this 'seal' was broken the baseplate can be removed exposing the NEM coupling housing. With only minor surgery, (slice off just the top of the NEM housing), an MT 1015 coupling slides into the slot vacated by the NEM socket and at just the right height too.

It pains me resort to any surgery at all but in my experience the complete baseplates will most likely eventually be available as a spare part should anyone ever wish to revert to the standard coupling.

Hope this might help anyone interested.

Cheers

HC

Archived