Modelling the LNWR

lnw_dave

The London & North Western Railway Society is improving the modelling section of its web site.

There have recently been additions to the Modelling Guides and the 4mm section has been updated and revised with new kit lists for locos, wagons, and carriages. There is a similar set of informationn for 2mm modellers and comparable lists for 7mm modellers are in course of preparation.

In addition a lot of information on LNWR carriages has been added and placed in a new Carriages section. This section includes a search form to help identify particular vehicles, for example in photographs. (Scroll to the bottom of the linked page to get there).

Feedback from modellers on these additions would be appreciated by the society's Modelling Officer.

David Moore

LNWRS webmaster

David, many thanks for the info., all the carriage info., accessible as far as I can see leads only to the diagram numbers, there are no photo's of an example coach to that diagram number to compliment the information given by said diagram number, or even a plan view from the Diagram Book.

I'm sure the Society is working on that - with all due regard to copyrights etc., all of which has to be taken into account with the internet.

I'm fortunate as I have all the books referred to, plus the Diagram books.

I am pleased the Society is looking deeper in it's provision of the modelling aspects of the L&NWR, in the early days of the Society in the 70's, it was the modellers striving to get correct information for their models that helped to drive the Society forward, making available all the disparate prototype information that is available.

I wish you well.

In addition to the Non-Corridor book there is also David Jenkinson's An Illustrated History of LNWR Coaches from which much information on the Diagrams was originally obtained, and which was subsequently confirmed by reference to the 1915 LNWR Carriage Diagram book.

In reply to Penlan's highlighting of what isn't there, one can only but agree: "if it was better, it would (indeed) be better!". Nonetheless in case modellers and students of the LNWR have been put off from taking a look, it is perhaps worthwhile explaining more fully what there is.

There are bogie carriage Diagram lists sorted by roof type and by carriage type. So, for example, if you need to find out what tpye of brake composites existed, the web site tells you. The lists are sub-divided into roof type - arc, cove, elliptical (with Toplights treated as a separate roof type). Sorting by roof type places different vehicle types into different periods. Although there are no illustrations the diagrams are represented in the conventional alphapnumeric form, for example, Diagram 138 is: Lav113Lav333Lav. Copies of the 1915 Carriage Diagram on CD book are available from the LNWR Society.

In addition the numbers of vehicles per Diagram Number are given so the modeller can avoid inadvertently modelling a rarity when they really wanted a mainstream (common) vehicle.

As Penlan says there are no illustrations yet. Of course if you're trying to identify a vehicle, possibly the most useful feature so far implemented, and a unique facility, then the user will already have a photo!

With over 350 Diagrams, illustrating each and every one with a photo and the Diagram book plan is a mammoth task, especially as approximataely half of the Diagrams are for corridor vehicles which require corridor side and compartment side photos.

Appeals for help have mainly fallen on deaf ears, so apologies if the website is not already as comprehensive as it will one day be. But these things take time and a lot of effort. In the meantime we believe that a useful resource has been made created which is already worthy of being publicised.

David Moore

LNWRS Webmaster

Archived