Dean Sidings

Fenway Park

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone confirm his phone number? 

The one mentioned in post #90 above isn't recognised.

Mike,

It is all the right numbers, just in the wrong order

The one I have is:-  01594 530405

This was from a list about a year ago.

• 6 months later...

Further info from Dave. He will have L1/L3 kits at Warley plus a good range of body kits and some chassis for certain kits. 

Apparently there is a kit to make the round top version of the Super D bu you will need your own donor chassis. 

Please drop by and say hallo. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

This trader's unwillingness to trade via a website was, alas, always an obstacle; he got one purchase from me where he could have had 10.  Nevertheless, I am sad to see the demise of this, otherwise, innovative business.

I guess we'll now never see that 517 and those printed coach sides.

This trader's unwillingness to trade via a website was, alas, always an obstacle; he got one purchase from me where he could have had 10.  ....

How did we cope before the Internet? Well, we wrote polite letters explaining what we wanted to order, and included a cheque for the appropriate sum.

Has the art of letter-writing been lost to "want it now, want it yesterday"?

How did we cope before the Internet? Well, we wrote polite letters explaining what we wanted to order, and included a cheque for the appropriate sum.

Yep !

'Fraid so ! :scratchhead:

Or you could live overseas where that method is the exact opposite of successful...!

If Dave wants to retire, then Good Luck to him. I was lucky enough to get out at 56 even though I had a very interesting job (it was the team leader who couldn't lead and the managers who didn't manage that pushed me over the edge). I can only feel sorry for those folks who can't find anything better to do than go to work (always assuming they have a choice of course).

This trader's unwillingness to trade via a website was, alas, always an obstacle;

I'm afraid the 'via a website' bit is rather redundant in this case; he showed the same proclivity when he ran a physical shop, and even personal visits involving standing beside him while he wrote details in his 'order book' did not, in my experience, lead to the materialisation of goods. I wish him well in his retirement - I too can speak of the benefits of taking that 'early', courtesy of the Government deciding it no longer had any need of my services - but I do believe the occupation of 'trader' should be reserved for those prepared to trade. I would not, after all, expect to be referred to as a 'buyer' (or even a 'customer') if I never bought anything; and contracts for sale do need the willing involvement of both parties.

What is added by these "what's wrong wi t'post. I dunno, the Youth of today. In them days we were grateful to live in t'hole in't' ground" comments I am unsure.

Perhaps I made myself insufficiently clear; I spoke only for myself.  I don't get to many shows, so, personally, I have found the lack of a website listing and illustrating products with updated prices, etc, unhelpful.  The lack of e-commerce is also unhelpful; I think the last cheque I ever wrote was in guineas and I have no idea where my cheque book may be. It means that Dean Sidings has proved inconvenient but, and in a busy life this is probably the greatest disadvantage, Dean Sidings was very much out of sight and so out of mind compared with pretty much all other traders.

Now, I am having a bit of a sabbatical due to suffering a life-changing financial hit.  This, I realise, may leave me a bit too tetchy for civilised company for a while - apologies for that - but it also means that, had Mr Sidings just signed up £3M of private equity to go global, I would be unlikely to prove a regular customer, so, I am really the last person whose opinion is worth a damn, so I'll leave it there, if I may.

So, I would like to end on a positive note.  I liked what Dean Sidings did. It made interesting prototypes accessible and brought us back to those RTR bash and bodge days when remarkable and individualistic results were within everyone's reach.  I hope he sells the range on and, if so, I hope it continues to develop.

In any event, I wish a happy early retirement to Mr Sidings! 

We coped with the technology available. You may have noticed that things have moved on somewhat. You can still make your correspondence polite though.

I will pop by at the NEC and see if there is anything.  I have always found the product display les than perfect.  I guess I will never see the Stanier 3500 tender and will need to get a brass one.

Hopefully he enjoys retirement but given the product had potential, and the problems were with delivery, it would be good if they could be taken up by someone else.

• 4 months later...

Has there been any developments on the Dean Sidings front?

The news I got from Warley was that here had been more than one expression of interest in taking over the business and that things were looking optimistic, but if anything's happened since I, for one, haven't heard about it.

Archived