Dean Sidings

Fenway Park

Does anybody know when hes next at a show in the Midlands? I really would like to buy one or two of his LNER ex GCR L1/3 kits, or even a contact email address would do!

Cheers

Jim

He did the last Warley NEC and Stafford exhibitions. That doesn't guarantee he will be doing the next ones though. I think he advertises in Model Rail.

Hi,

I saw Dave Slater tonight and he confirmed he will be at the Bristol Exhibition this weekend.

Regarding the GCR L1/L3 it is virtually sold out but there are a few kits still left but missing a small number of detail parts. Please contact him via the address in Model Rail or pm me.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw Dean Sidings stand at Wigan today (10th December). On Thursday this week he received the bits for the Adams Radial and says he's starting sending them out this week. He's also going to be at Stafford Show in February.

Dean Sidings is also listed for the Leamington & Warwick Exhibition on January 21st & 22nd.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just purchased a secondhand, unbuilt Dean Sidings E4, and the instructions say it needs a Hornby 0-6-0 Chassis. Does anyone know which one? Or have contact details for him?

Many thanks,

Nick

I have just purchased a secondhand, unbuilt Dean Sidings E4, and the instructions say it needs a Hornby 0-6-0 Chassis. Does anyone know which one? Or have contact details for him?

Many thanks,

Nick

any from the jintey, pannier tank, J83 or 08 shunter(inside framed~) there all the same chassie but diferent bodys

• 4 weeks later...

Scanning the latest Model Rail classifieds with a magnifying glass, I note a small ad from Dean Sidings. Under the ‘Coming Soon’ heading in 4mm is: DS411A LNER N7 (for Hornby 0-6-0T chassis) Release March. I remember visiting his (Dave Slater?) stand at Warley in 2009 and being told an N7 was in the pipe-line. Well, true to his word, it looks like it’s about to materialise. From what I’ve read on this site, he’s not the easiest chap to get hold of, so can anyone advise me the best course of action in ordering one – actually, I want three? I don’t know the price of the kit or if he will be able to supply a chassis for purchase, so I’m not sure whether to just wait for another advert, hope the price is stated and then send him a cheque, as I notice he does post prices for items currently available (Adams Radial Tank). The sooner I order one, Hornby (or Bachmann) will then announce a r-t-r version but such is life! I see he’s going to be at the Watford show which although not a million miles away for me, I can’t make unfortunately. Thanks.

From my own experience and what I have read of other people's comments, the best way to communicate with him is by snail mail.

Looks like the best option. Letter in mail tomorrow and I’ll post any information I receive on here for the benefit of anyone else who may be interested.

• 1 month later...

From my own experience and what I have read of other people's comments, the best way to communicate with him is by snail mail.

I have now received a reply from Dave Slater regarding the release of his next loco superstructure kits. I was specifically enquiring about the N7 but he’s provided me with an up to date list of all 4mm models due out this year with revised anticipated release dates as follows:

DS432A. Adams Radial Tank £67.50 – currently available

DS433A. GWR 4-4-2T ‘County’ tank (June 2012)

DS411A. LNER N7 – (June 2012) probably around £55 to £65.

DS419A. Furness Baltic Tank 4-6-4T (June 2012)

DS450A. GWR 157 Class 2-2-2 (July 2012)

DS1401. Stanier 3500gal straight-sided tender (June 2012)

DS1408. Fowler 3500gal tender (June 2012)

He’s asked me to contact him again nearer the time for actual pricing of the N7 and that will no doubt apply to the others on his list as well.

I have now received a reply from Dave Slater regarding the release of his next loco superstructure kits. I was specifically enquiring about the N7 but he’s provided me with an up to date list of all 4mm models due out this year with revised anticipated release dates as follows:

DS432A. Adams Radial Tank £67.50 – currently available

DS433A. GWR 4-4-2T ‘County’ tank (June 2012)

DS411A. LNER N7 – (June 2012) probably around £55 to £65.

DS419A. Furness Baltic Tank 4-6-4T (June 2012)

DS450A. GWR 157 Class 2-2-2 (July 2012)

DS1401. Stanier 3500gal straight-sided tender (June 2012)

DS1408. Fowler 3500gal tender (June 2012)

He’s asked me to contact him again nearer the time for actual pricing of the N7 and that will no doubt apply to the others on his list as well.

Do you happen to know what chassis the N7 is designed around, and whether it is stretched/shrunk to fit, as the original Will's one used to be, when it fitted on the Tri-Ang Jinty?

Stewart

Do you happen to know what chassis the N7 is designed around, and whether it is stretched/shrunk to fit, as the original Will's one used to be, when it fitted on the Tri-Ang Jinty?

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

I did ask that question and also what version(s) of the N7 he would be producing. He didn't answer specifically but the full descrpition from the leaflet more or less answers the questions anyway:

DS411A GNR(I think he means GER)/LNER/BR N7 0-6-2T Hornby 1

A much requested prototype and the first new loco for 2012, this will include options to build Belpaire or round topped versions as well as five different roof styles, plus all the usual components. Again the universal Hornby 0-6-0 chassis is all that is required to complete.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I have a Wills N7 kit that is almost finished (after 30 years!) although it does have the Belpaire boiler - I think it was the only version you could get in those days but I haven't tried fitting a chassis to it yet. It's the later versions I'm interested in here.

Tim

Hi Stewart,

I did ask that question and also what version(s) of the N7 he would be producing. He didn't answer specifically but the full descrpition from the leaflet more or less answers the questions anyway:

DS411A GNR(I think he means GER)/LNER/BR N7 0-6-2T Hornby 1

A much requested prototype and the first new loco for 2012, this will include options to build Belpaire or round topped versions as well as five different roof styles, plus all the usual components. Again the universal Hornby 0-6-0 chassis is all that is required to complete.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I have a Wills N7 kit that is almost finished (after 30 years!) although it does have the Belpaire boiler - I think it was the only version you could get in those days but I haven't tried fitting a chassis to it yet. It's the later versions I'm interested in here.

Tim

Good that different versions can be used, but it seems to be modified to match the (presumably still) incorrect Hornby chassis? Which if true is a shame. I believe the latest SE Finecast offering of the N7 is also adaptable to various types, and is now correct dimensionally, but would like confirmation!

Stewart

Good that different versions can be used, but it seems to be modified to match the (presumably still) incorrect Hornby chassis? Which if true is a shame. I believe the latest SE Finecast offering of the N& is also adaptable to various types, and is now correct dimensionalyy, but would like confirmation!

Stewart

Yes, a shame Hornby (so far) haven't released it as a r-t-r, I saw the pre-production sample a few years back and even then it looked excellent but that's as far as it ever got. Looking forward to seeing the Dean Sidings kit though, I'd like more than one but will wait and see how good it is first.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I have a Wills N7 kit that is almost finished (after 30 years!) although it does have the Belpaire boiler - I think it was the only version you could get in those days but I haven't tried fitting a chassis to it yet. ...

Good that different versions can be used, but it seems to be modified to match the (presumably still) incorrect Hornby chassis? Which if true is a shame. I believe the latest SE Finecast offering of the N7 is also adaptable to various types, and is now correct dimensionally, but would like confirmation!

The SE Finecast kit is as accurate as is the general norm for whitemetal. Worth an etched chassis. My very old Wills N7, (Belpaire boilered, and probably the same version as OOER's) is actually not too far off on overall dimensions. To its' immense benefit as a runner when the time came for renewal of the ancient rewheeled Jinty chassis that had supplied its' graunchy progress for many a year, I shoehorned in the Bachmann 56xx chassis. A little short in the coupled wheelbase 'tis true, and a better positioned trailing truck has to be arranged, but it looks surprisingly well even alongside the more correct later N7 kit on a scale chassis. Really must get around to finishing this model as it still has shiny patches from the removal of the condensing pipes to suit it to its 'country role' on the Hatfield branches.

..... I believe the latest SE Finecast offering of the N7 is also adaptable to various types, and is now correct dimensionally, but would like confirmation!

You can only build the N7/GE, 4 and 5 sub-classes from the SEF kit.

Jim McGeown's Connoisseur Models used to do a 4mm component pack for the N7/3 (there's one on eBay as I write - no doubt that will eventually go for a stratospheric bid).

Stelfox (long gone) used to cover N7/2 and 3 subclasses, but the quality of their stuff could be very variable.

Archived