Blue Grey Pullman Coaches

Hugh Flynn

Hi

I have bought a couple of blue grey pullman coaches for my next layout will post photos in a couple of months.

Now what i am looking for is a few good colour photos to see formatoins eg lowest amount of pullman coaches

i remember in my trainspotting days watching deltics hauling them at Doncaster so i guess 1970-75 period so what was last year they run in this livery?

I am rubbish at finding good photo,s from internet but know some of you will know exactly where to look?

thanking you in advance

Hugh

Hi,

Rail Express March 2005 number 106 had a Modeller's Guide to ECML Passenger trains which includes Pullman formations. For example The Tyne Tees Pullman Newcastle to London 1976 was (from loco end, a Deltic)

MK1 BG, PKx2, P, RU, RMB, MK2D TSOx4

From other formations listed that seemed to be pretty standard, give or take 1x MK2TSO, one formation even had 2xRUs AND and RMB between the Pullmans and the MK2 stock - how's that for the ultimate catering experience?

Regards

JGP

Pullmans were First Class Accomodation!

• RMweb Premium

some prototype info and model pics here:

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/proto_pullman.html

bear in mind that for your time period, the vehicles would be 1st class only, i.e. PFP and PFK, with 2+1 seating (modified from original 1+1 seating)

according to the parkin mk1 book, the only services still running in the 70s were:

yorkshire pullman - lost 2nd class in 1971, withdrawn may 1978

tees-tyne pullman - lost 2nd class/bar car in may 1969, withdrawn 1976

hull pullman - lost 2nd class october 1969, withdrawn may 1978

i'm accepting these as accurate, others may be able to confirm otherwise

hope this help

Since I sold you the coaches in the first place I'd ought to offer a bit of into. ;)

Napier Chronicles has a page that might be on interest - http://www.napier-ch...l_executive.htm

You might like to have a look at the photo of one of the last 'Hull Pullmans' from April '78, it's quite near the top. I think by the end of the ECML Pullmans they were always accompanied by Mk2d stock onwards. The Bachmann Mk2s would be well suited circa 1970-2 or thereabouts.

If you want to tinker with the interiors then page 9 on http://www.semgonlin...pe/coupe042.pdf will give you an idea of what you'll need to do. The seats would have had seperate white head cushions whilst in service. This is probably a bit of an over complicated conversion considering the limited visual benefit, but taking a few seats from a spare Hornby Mk2 interior might do the job.

You'll need a Kitchen car as well, I think the Pullman car formations were PFP-PFK-PFP by this time on all appropriate workings.

• RMweb Premium

The last day of Pullman operation on the ECML was 5th May 1978, I was on the last Hull Pullman service, the down service was the last regular Pullman departure from Kings Cross the formation was :-

47410 5916 / 9510 / 5724 / 5908 / 6158 / 5731 / 1671 / 1986 / 313 / 328 / 317.

The up service was hauled by 55014.

post-79-0-01797500-1295716257_thumb.jpg

55014 at the Cross after arrival from Hull.

post-79-0-22380400-1295716487_thumb.jpg

47410 ready to leave Kings Cross

post-79-0-23935000-1295716619_thumb.jpg

47433 departs with the last Yorkshire Pullman

post-79-0-07081900-1295716972_thumb.jpg

post-79-0-60530300-1295717091_thumb.jpg

The stock of the last Yorkshire Pullman departs into Gasworks Tunnel.

Hope these are of interest

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of Pullman trains from one of my fotopic galleries; the gallery concerned is at: http://daveseastmidl...ve.fotopic.net/

The gallery has a few more Pullman shots, also try my gallery at: http://davesyorkshirerailwayarchive.fotopic.net/

post-5613-0-53096100-1295724764_thumb.jpg

North of Little Bytham up Yorkshire Pullman Sept 70

post-5613-0-81146200-1295724766_thumb.jpg

Dry Doddington up Yorkshire Pullman Nov 70

Hope this is some use.

David

again many thanks

Simon thank you for photographing the last train and sharing it with members of RM web and myself

Looks like my layout is going to be 77-78 period it has been all drawn up with many things purchased locos,coaches.wagons,track, points it now all wants putting together.

The setting will be a station in Edinburgh but due to a massive points failure at Waverley all trains are diverted into this station and run round its train then away.

there is a twist as i want to give the illusion of 3-4 coach trains making them look like full length trains have just pulled in.

thanks

Hugh

Pullman workings on the ECML came to an end on Friday 5 May 1978 with the last running of the Yorkshire Pullman to Harrogate and the Hull Pullman to Hull. The last Yorkshire Pullman from Kings Cross was hauled by 47433 as far as Leeds, with 47411 taking the train on from there to Harrogate.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Simon

Hugh,

on page 92 of the book Modelling the British Rail Era there is a great "Half-Station" plan which may suit your needs or act as a thought provoker. A another source of reference you can also check out April 2008 of Model Rail (Issue 116).

However Modellers Licence is required for an Edinburgh location methinks.

The Queen of Scots Pullman ran to Glasgow Queen Street being withdrawn on 13-06-1964.

(Edit: A MK1 Pullman car then ran on the Talisman but that was withdrawn a year later)

Some HSTs were also classified as Pullman but I only know of the IC225 Scottish Pullman which then ran through Edinburgh after 1964. Maybe someone can prove me wrong here...

Why not relocate to Yorkshire? As keefer points out, The Hull, the Yorkshire and the Tyne Tees Pullmans all ran in your chosen period, the Pullman accomodation was First Class only, the 2nd class were MK2 air-cons.

If you check out Simon's photos earlier in this topic you will see that the last service ran in corporate livery, reverse Blue/Grey for the Pullmans, and standard Blue/Grey for the rest of the rake

Hope this helps

Regards

JGP

Well you might be right my station was going to be based on Leeds canopy as i found a few photo,s and video on u tube from the late 80,s

the station building i actually have an American kit http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/walthers-cornerstone-933-3094-union-station-22599-0.html bought it two years ago just waiting for a layout?

Tell me what you think- its good to talk-butchered about i think it might look a bit like a city large town station (huddersfield?) or its back to scratchbuilding.

thanks

Hugh

• 2 years later...

The last day of Pullman operation on the ECML was 5th May 1978, I was on the last Hull Pullman service, the down service was the last regular Pullman departure from Kings Cross the formation was :-

47410 5916 / 9510 / 5724 / 5908 / 6158 / 5731 / 1671 / 1986 / 313 / 328 / 317.

The up service was hauled by 55014.

attachicon.gifb1057.jpg

55014 at the Cross after arrival from Hull.

attachicon.gifb1058.jpg

47410 ready to leave Kings Cross

attachicon.gifb1059.jpg

47433 departs with the last Yorkshire Pullman

attachicon.gifb1060.jpg

attachicon.gifb1061.jpg

The stock of the last Yorkshire Pullman departs into Gasworks Tunnel.

Hope these are of interest

Simon

For clarification 47410 is stood at the front of the 17.09 Hull Pullman departure.

Archived