Is a boxfile layout suitable for exhibitions?

Following an office move recently I seem to have gathered a few unused box files which has got me thinking. Could I build a layout that would be suitable for exhibitions (Keep me occupied all day)? A “Google†found me a number of options but maybe someone could answer the following questions. The purposed layout will be built in 00 gauge.

1. If Hornby ever release the “Pug†will it be a suitable loco or should I be using something else?

2. Having sold all my DC controllers, DCC is my preferred option for the layout (Is this OTT for such a small layout?)

3. Point control. In order to be able operate a point should I have a baseboard that will fit inside the box file to give clearance for a point motor etc.?

4. In order to have hand free uncoupling should I be thinking about using Kadee’s or another suitable coupler?

Kind Regards

Johna

• RMweb Gold

H Johna,

my initial answer s most certainly Yes !

Porth Byhan has been shown at both the RMWeb members day at Taunton, and at the Three Spires show in Truro.

It's two boxfiles, one as the FY and one scenic.

I used a J94 and an 08 shunter, with Brian Kirby style uncoupling (magnets in track, Bachmann couplings with a staple).

DCC would not be over the top, if that's your usual method. Adding a point motor is the only step I'd not take, any point is never too far away, and simple wire in tube should suffice.

Porth Byhan can be found via my link below, or from a search on the old forum, also look at my new Boxfile layout in the new industrial standard gauge sub-forum.

But Yes, boxfiles are very exhibitable.

Stu

Boxfiles and Inglenooks are probably more fascinating than roundy round layouts to the public. I have run my Inglenook for 2 weekends and you don't get bored. With mine I have a little web based program to (randomly) generate the location that the wagons need shunting to, this is displayed on the screen and it gives the public an idea as to where they are going.

DCC on a single engine in steam layout - oh yes I do it. I went to the loo left the Bachmann 08 running (notch 1 of 128) and came back it had not covered the full 2'! With 08 & other locos like Austerity tanks (not J94's) it's a treat to run.

I even managed to get a break as there were members of the railway that said to me ah that looks easy. So I said ok now it's your turn. Fun just watching them make school boy errors like trying to get loco and more wagons than it's possible into the head shunt.

Have a look on the usual Carendt micro layout website for inspiration. http://www.carendt.com/

Yeah, I agree with Stu - I wouldn't bother with the point motor. A simple bent rod (brass section, bike spoke or welding rod for example) would be reliable and cheaper, and it's less to go wrong at the exhibition.

As an exhibition viewer, I'd be happy to see a box file layout.

• RMweb Gold

Any small loco will suit just be sure that headshunts etc are long enough for the biggest loco you fancy using ( forget the 9F you want someday).

DCC works very well for small layouts it gives you the capability to isolate a loco anywhere on the layout. You may intend to have only one loco in action but you will have two locos on the layout at sometime.DCC means you are ready for it

Point motors as other have said it maybe easier to use other methods. However if you fancy point motors they can be surface mounted. Link with a short section of wire in tube if you have to cross tracks to reach the point. They can be hidden under huts or removeable senic sections.

Couplings are down to your choice but remember you haven't got much space underneath for electromagnets or the rising ramp uncouplers. Permenant magents can be a bit of a nuisance of shunting layouts. I think Pete on his 2mm layout mounted them on thin wood strips which could be moved out on range. With an 0 gauge shunting layout I found three links slowed things down nicely but I admit three links are easier in 0

Don

• RMweb Premium

No reason why they don't work, but to me because of their size they have to be exceptionally well detailed. It might be worth thinking "outside" the box for a theme that would be different to the norm for this type of layout to make it stand out.

• RMweb Gold

I've considered a box-file layout myself (not got any further than thinking about it though - not because it wouldn't work, but because I couldn't come up with a design that I liked, but still thinking) as these can be completed in a relatively short time, can be well detailed and fun to operate. You also don't need much in the way of rolling stock - a small loco or two and no more that half a dozen wagons. DCC is worth considering and if you have a small diesel with sound (keeping the volume down, should only be background noise). Also, you don't need to worry about isolation sections. The boxfiles can be stored easily and can be used / built anywhere!

Folks

Many thanks for the advise so far. I am thinking about designing the layout around a brickworks yard. I am still thinking about a loco for it. Not sure if the Bachmann Class 03 is suitable. It's DCC ready so i would only need to fit a 6 pin chip, however it maybe too big. I do have in stock a Halling N gauge motor bogie but I would need to find a suitable 4mm body for it and convert it to DCC. I like the idea of manual points with a micro switch.

john

Guest jim s-w

To me it will depend on if you are prepared to exhibit for free and absorb any costs. If you expect to have expenses paid that's quite an expense for the show manager for a very small return.

If you are then go for it but I would echo the comment that the detail must be there. I would expect a box file layout to be the best layout, detail wise at a show.

Cheers

Jim

Based on some practical experience with one - yes, but...

Rail ends are vulnerable to damage , especially if you try carrying the thing in a holdall. Potentially it's a novel and interesting item in a corner but you have to recognise that two thirds to three-quarters of the punters will give you one look of 5-10 sec and then walk on. It's not big enough to hold them for longer unless they are going to watch it operate closely, examine the detail of all the wagons, ask you how you made it, whose kit is the loco etc etc

Mine's a shunting puzzle. It could be operated continuously, as the puzzle effectively resets with a different hand of cards at the end. But if anything it has far too much operating potential - after 1 .5 cycles , I was mentally shot working out the moves under fire. Hence a second operator is almost certainly essential. With a boxfile you cannot simply turn the knob and leave a train to circle the layout for a couple of minutes. Reliability is going to be an issue because you're not trying to stop trains within the nearest inch or two and with a safety margin - you're trying to position things to the nearest couple of mill, having moved them 2.5 inches, and if you get it wrong or the loco sticks, you'll be whacking a brick wall with a wagon. Faultless hands-free operation is going to be a demanding goal and will require excellent mechanisms

In terms of getting into a show, remember that in terms of cost per square foot, you'll be the most expensive layout there , even if you just claim a gallon of petrol and a lunch. Essentially you will be a novelty item

In my view a J94 /Austerity is over the top for a boxfile. An 08 was visually overpowering, so I rapidly acquired a Silver Fox 05 - even that's a great brute of a loco and it's baby brother the 0-4-0 tram is much more suitable. The Model Rail Sentinel may be ideal if it runs well. Perverse as it seems, I think a box file is the place where you really need a pretty little 0-4-0T industrial from an etched kit with a High Level chassis fully compensated and geared at 1:108. Then you've got a loco which might run with the absolute precision and reliability needed for reliable hands off shunting across a litter of track joints and point frogs. The Dapol/Hornby L&Y Pug is small enough - but I don't believe the mechanism is good enough to do the job under these conditions

I can't see the point of DCC on a boxfile - and I'm an experienced DCC user. I fitted section switches to mine and I soon found that all of them were set to on and left - there was no need for it , the whole thing was one engine in steam and electrically live

So - yes it's possible, but there are constraints you need to bear in mind

I can't see the point of DCC on a boxfile - and I'm an experienced DCC user. I fitted section switches to mine and I soon found that all of them were set to on and left - there was no need for it , the whole thing was one engine in steam and electrically live

Lights, sound, back EMF close to the motor, capacitors (aka 'USP') etc and special effects. All elements of making a tiny layout stand out. Doesn't necessarily need DCC but it's usually easier that way except maybe sound which on a boxfile layout you can do with stereo speakers and software not loco sound. My microlayouts are wired for DC or DCC so I can just add the right controller for the occasion/stock.

A lot of it can be done other ways - and a lot of non-train animation that makes a microlayout grab (opening crossing gates, working wagon loaders and so on) is probably like the points best done that way.

Alan

A boxfile idea that would probably work is to have the outside of the box done up to look like a wharehouse. This would need both the inside of the box and outside detailling. A second could be used for the yard outside the building.

As for the 03 go for it, it's a good runner. Some went into industry and foreign lands also.

Only me again. Thanks to all for the above comments.I have been exhibiting for 12 year now and have never asked for travelling expences. To me the biggest problem will be finding a suitable loco that will run at slow speeds.I also like "non-train animation " ideas. In mybits box I have a small Peco code 75 point so my track plan will be designed around it. Only two box files will be used plus a fiddle yard.

Johna

Archived