Moorgate - The Widened Lines

Fay Singpoint

No doubt time will tell... Mind you have also heard horror stories about 6mm ply warping (even when diagonal bracing is used).

Here are the first 3 boards (12' length in total) erected with a back scene temporarily fitted. The purpose of this exercise was to make sure I was happy with the working height of the layout and the back scene, and to check the stability of the support legs, before proceeding any further. The boards are just clamped together and not properly levelled.

post-6371-0-00754000-1334445235_thumb.jpg

I've another 4 boards to build which will bring the layout to 28' (half its final length) and then it's look at track laying....(something to do during the Olympics :) )

You're doing Olympic track laying? Are you going for gold this year? :mosking:

• 1 month later...

I have made some more progress on the baseboard building exercise with the first four boards now finished and erected complete with the backscene supports.

post-6371-0-53417100-1339272024_thumb.jpg

This is the Moorgate Station end looking towards what will be Liverpool Street (represented by a fiddle yard). This section is 16' long which is the maximum I can erect in the garage

post-6371-0-84796800-1339272041_thumb.jpg

The next exercise is start building the Liverpool Street end fiddle yard which might actually see some track finally appear.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Your layout looks very interesting

I was interested in the old track alignment at moorgate do you have any more pics showing it as it was before the barbican came along ? I would really like to see them

Lyn and I's layout is moving slowly forward our LUL tracks terminate on a viaduct and start at a 2 platform station both are also served by BR

Laying the 3rd and 4th rails comes soon not looking forward to doing that !!

We are using peco code 60 rails for them on our code 100 track any tips you could share ?

Good luck with your layout hope to see some updates when you get a chance

Dave

I was interested in the old track alignment at moorgate do you have any more pics showing it as it was before the barbican came along ? I would really like to see them

Hi Dave,

Photographs of the track alignment are incredibly rare. I think this is due to the inaccessible nature of the line so any photographs have to be taken at track level. There are a number of photographs on the LT Museum web site but these show the bomb damage to the area as a result of the blitz. Due to copyright issues here are some links.

http://www.ltmcollec...te&_IXFIRST_=91

http://www.ltmcollec...te&_IXFIRST_=92

Putting Moorgate in to the search engine will throw up numerous other photographs. The street level station buildings survived the blitz so at least I have some reference material for modelling but the platform areas suffered a couple of direct hits so I will have to make an educated guess as to what the platform areas looked like in the late 1920's / early 1930's.

If you compare this photograph with the 2nd picture in the 1st post of this thread (both taken from almost the same position) you will get an idea of the devastation

http://www.ltmcollec...nlarge=i000081s

Lyn and I's layout is moving slowly forward our LUL tracks terminate on a viaduct and start at a 2 platform station both are also served by BR

Laying the 3rd and 4th rails comes soon not looking forward to doing that !!

We are using peco code 60 rails for them on our code 100 track any tips you could share ?

I work in 7mm S7 so it's Code 125 B/H for the running rails and Code 148 F/B for the conductor rails (well at least that's the plan.) I have found a supplier of the 3rd Rail insulating pots so that's not a problem and for the 4th Rail I will have an experiment using plastic rod .

A useful site for all things 3rd (and 4th) rail is here http://homepage.ntlw...tt/3rd-4th.html

Good luck with your layout hope to see some updates when you get a chance

Dave

These photos were taken earlier today:

I now have 5 baseboards which are in the process of being painted. The boards are in two widths (900mm and 600mm) and 1200mm long. I settled on 1200mm (4' in English) as the standard length because this is what will comfortably fit in the 4x4. Currently the layout construction is a bit a logistical challenge as baseboard building is carried out at my Suffolk home while track building is due to start at my Staffordshire home.

Here we have the 5 boards in various stages of primer (I ran out paint). The rectangular slot in the side of the top 4' wide board is to take a Lenz XpressNet LA152 adaptor (there are 2 other slots somewhere on the other base boards). As I mentioned on a DCC thread I am planning to using the Lenz system for driving the trains with CBus and (possibly) JMRI for signalling.

post-6371-0-51045800-1341174729_thumb.jpg

This what I am using to support the backscenes.

post-6371-0-60442500-1341174745_thumb.jpg

Hope this is helpful?

• 2 months later...

I stumbled across this after reading your scratch build challenge thread. Truly awesome, indeed gargantuan if I may say so. As with "East Lynn", everything scratch built in S7. Much too masochistic for me I'm afraid but your efforts are to be greatly admired. Keep up the good work and the posts coming too. I've recently retired from LU so I will follow your progress with great interest.

Regards,

Brian.

PS I imagine your backscene will include the "arch"itypal brich retaining walls so typical of LU deep retained cuttings. I might have some details somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

PS I imagine your backscene will include the "arch"itypal brich retaining walls so typical of LU deep retained cuttings. I might have some details somewhere.

Hi Brian,

From what I have managed to find out, we have the "arch"itypal brick retaining walls as shown in the 2nd photograph in post No1 and concrete/rendered plain walls as shown in the photograph below. It appears that the open section cuttings between Moorgate and Aldersgate had buildings on both sides so that (in theory) should make the backscene fairly easy to build. The layout is being planned/built with the public viewing side on the north of the line which is the top of the diagram shown in the 1st photograph in post No1 with the backscene representing the buildings on the south of the line.

This (poor quality scan) photo shows a view looking toward Aldersgate showing the starting signals from platform 6 which is the designated bay platform for the LMS services. The wall mounted signals will be modelled as part of the backscene.

post-6371-0-98110600-1347572640_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have ended up carrying out a re-engineering exercise on the baseboards built so far because it turned out they wouldn't be wide enough for the final Templot plan that I was happy with. :no:

The original baseboard width was enough for a straight formation but I really wanted to try and recreate the reverse curve that originally existed between Aldersgate and Moorgate stations. There was also a problem with very narrow platform widths. 

After some Christmas carpentry work I now have a much wider station area to work with. The baseboards have not yet been properly aligned or drilled for bolting together as I wanted to spend some time fiddling around with the track templates to make sure that I was happy with everything. Here we have a view looking towards Aldersgate. The templates are printed on A3 sheets of paper and laid loosely on the boards hence some of the alignments look a bit suspect. From left to right the lines are the LMS platform line, the LMS loco bay, the LNER platform line, the pair of Circle line bay platform lines with the pair of through Circle lines on the right. This shows about half of the length of the station area.

post-6371-0-00730000-1357165240_thumb.jpg

I also decided indulge in a spot of physical modelling with the various offcuts of timber I had lying around as there is only so much you can do on paper. Here we have a representation of the Milton Street overbridge looking toward Aldersgate. The short siding that finishes in front of the middle bridge support is the LNER loco bay which is where you always find an N2 tank simmering away awaiting its next turn. The engineering drawings and photographs I have show that both the loco bays had inspection pits.

post-6371-0-88190400-1357165265_thumb.jpg

Carrying on with the improvised modelling here we have a view of the representation of the Moor Lane overbridge that spans the West end of Moorgate station. This view is looking toward what will be the station buildings at the Liverpool Street end of the layout. The station platforms are also represented with off cuts of ply. The LMS loco bay can be seen in the middle foreground. Both the LMS and LNER platform lines are double faced.

post-6371-0-98277900-1357165290_thumb.jpg

A very useful exercise which means I can now start looking at some track building....  :)

• 1 month later...

I have finally built some track……  :yahoo:

Here we have the various turnout assembly jigs that are produced by the Scale 7 group. The switch filing jig is on the left, the crossing filing jig is in the centre with the crossing assembly jig to the right. The crossing assembly and filing jigs are for a 1:6 crossing angle, I also have the 1:7 and 1:8 filing and assembly jigs.

post-6371-0-91371300-1359904063_thumb.jpg

This is the switch filing jig in use. The red mark on the rail denotes the length of planing (taper) that will need filing off.

post-6371-0-48804000-1359904074_thumb.jpg

Then you get a decent file (2nd cut in this instance) and file away until virtually all the red ink has disappeared. The jig is case hardened so there is not much danger of wearing it away with the file.

post-6371-0-75040900-1359904082_thumb.jpg

All being well you end up with your tapered switch rail. It then just needs a polish to clean it up and a tweak in the vice to straighten it and get it to sit nicely against the stock rail.

post-6371-0-49126500-1359904103_thumb.jpg

Crossing under construction. The check rail chairs were brought through the Shapeways website following a discussion about check rail chairs on the Templot forum. All other chairs and the sleepers are exactoscale while the crossing timbers were cut from Birch Ply sheet using a mortice gauge set to 7mm to give the 12" width of the timbers. Debs of this parish will probably recognise her rolling track gauges.

post-6371-0-83710900-1359904114_thumb.jpg

The completed 1:6 crossing.

post-6371-0-22726900-1359904148_thumb.jpg

post-6371-0-09925000-1359904159_thumb.jpg

The slide chairs are brass and soldered to the stock rails. The slide chairs are then superglued to the timbers. All the plastic chairs are glued to the sleepers/timbers using Butanone.

post-6371-0-05831800-1359904167_thumb.jpg

post-6371-0-62332000-1359904175_thumb.jpg

A bogie from my stock building antics is used for test running. The single switch trap point is the exit from the LMS loco siding.

post-6371-0-42766700-1359904185_thumb.jpg

The completed turnout waiting fitting of its stretcher bars.

post-6371-0-20094100-1359904192_thumb.jpg

Emma - suggest relax your knuckle radius (bend around a suitable diameter rod):

post-133-0-71215100-1359910596.jpg

I think a typical knuckle distance is 2.25", i.e. considerably in excess of the normal crossing flangeway distance. (Martin Wynne posted some dimensions in a track-related thread, but I can't find it.)

The purpose of the knuckle radius is to provide the equivalent to the gentle flare at the end of a checkrail.

Emma - suggest relax your knuckle radius (bend around a suitable diameter rod):

I think a typical knuckle distance is 2.25", i.e. considerably in excess of the normal crossing flangeway distance. (Martin Wynne posted some dimensions in a track-related thread, but I can't find it.)

The purpose of the knuckle radius is to provide the equivalent to the gentle flare at the end of a checkrail.

Many thanks for the info. I have another 20+ crossings to produce so I have plenty of practice ahead.

• RMweb Gold

Nice trackwork. The advantage of S7 always shows up in the finer flangways. I stuck to 0F because I could run on friends layouts but I see S7 and think perhaps I should have .....

Don

Hi Brian,

From what I have managed to find out, we have the "arch"itypal brick retaining walls as shown in the 2nd photograph in post No1 and concrete/rendered plain walls as shown in the photograph below. It appears that the open section cuttings between Moorgate and Aldersgate had buildings on both sides so that (in theory) should make the backscene fairly easy to build. The layout is being planned/built with the public viewing side on the north of the line which is the top of the diagram shown in the 1st photograph in post No1 with the backscene representing the buildings on the south of the line.

This (poor quality scan) photo shows a view looking toward Aldersgate showing the starting signals from platform 6 which is the designated bay platform for the LMS services. The wall mounted signals will be modelled as part of the backscene.

attachicon.gifMoorgate Plat 6.jpg

Hi

You may have seen this already (I think it came from the Basilica Fields blog) but there are various drawings of Met and District structures here:-

http://digital.lib.lehigh.edu/cdm4/bridges_viewer.php?ptr=3510&view=co

The "Widening of the Metropolitan Railway" series in particular show the Ray Street Gridiron in some detail.

Looking forward to seeing how this one develops!

Cheers

Stuart

• 3 months later...

How are you getting on with this, Emma? Getting withdrawal symptoms........

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete,

Physical progress has been on the mundane side with painting the underside of the baseboards built so far and sorting out the baseboard support system. I think I have probably bored people with enough pictures of baseboard building so nothing much to report at the moment. Most of the recent attention has gone back in to the research side and my collection of copies of historical engineering drawings of Moorgate has increased recently with the wonderful help of a fellow rmweb member. 

Staying with the research side my attention has been diverted slightly with focus on Whitecross Street Goods Depot and an idea to have this as a smaller layout that can be exhibited separately from the main layout.

Will hope to show some proper progress photographs in the next few days.  

As promised here is a proper update on progress so far.

I have decided to break the project down in to three manageable stages to keep my interest going and baseboard work is now complete for the first stage allowing me start on the more interesting part of track laying, wiring and scenery building.

The first stage concentrates on the station approaches from Aldersgate and here we have part of a Templot plan fixed in its final position. The Widened Lines are the pair of tracks in the centre foreground and the Circles Lines are to the left. The layout is currently being built in my garage and the length available means I can only erect 3 boards at a time. Another 2 boards are finished and they will be erected as the layout progresses.

post-6371-0-97286100-1370039954_thumb.jpg

The first use of the Templot plan is to help with marking out of the bridge positions.

post-6371-0-02365500-1370039964_thumb.jpg

As mentioned in an earlier post both the short sidings for holding steam locomotives awaiting their next turn were provided with inspection pits. The siding shown here is for LNER services normally worked by N2 condensing tanks. The first piece of track has also been temporarily fixed. The intention is to use closed cell foam underlay on top of a cork base when the track is finally fixed down.

post-6371-0-05278300-1370040181_thumb.jpg

This is looking from Moorgate westwards towards Aldersgate.

post-6371-0-07314300-1370039974_thumb.jpg

Lord Byron has now gained some whitemetal fittings and is slowly starting to look a little more complete as it is posed on the first length of track on the layout.

post-6371-0-58825900-1370039983_thumb.jpg

Next up it lots more track building….  then wiring…. then bridge building…. then station building etc etc etc..

• 1 year later...

The layout has not had much attention over the past 18 months so I though it was time to dust the cobwebs off the layout and spend part of Christmas track laying.The layout lives in garage and the paper templot prints have held up well despite the time in an unheated atmosphere. The Reading Gauge O trade show gave me the opportunity to stock up sleepers, rail and chairs to keep things going over the festive period.

After a session with the dusting brush it was carry on where I left off which meant focusing on the Widened Lines part of the layout.

post-6371-0-46385700-1419366032_thumb.jpg

post-6371-0-68540200-1419366043_thumb.jpg 

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see you working on it again. It may not be helpful for you but I find if I can set up a board indoors I can do the trackwork in odd bits  say 10 to 15 mins glue down some sleepers, next day cut some bits of rail up, day 3 thread on some chairs, and so. Done in small burst I can find the time between doing this or whilst stopping for a cuppa.

Don

Today's progress on the layout..

Timbering was completed on 32, 33 & 38 points (see the diagram in post #1 to see where these are) and all the sleepers laid on the running line toward platform 6.

post-6371-0-54569400-1419455046_thumb.jpg

As mentioned in my previous post, the paper templot prints have held up well over the past 18 months but they have absorbed moisture so they are uneven in some places. I know some people are quite happy to leave their templates in place and ballast over them, but I decided to remove them starting with the connection in to the LMS loco siding which was built sometime ago.

post-6371-0-85408800-1419455063_thumb.jpg

The first chaired rail is laid on the running line to platform 6 and weighted down before Butanone is applied to each sleeper and chair.

post-6371-0-56535800-1419455082_thumb.jpg

The second rail is positioned with the aid of roller track gauges and the weights re-positioned before another application of Butanone.

post-6371-0-12237500-1419455109_thumb.jpg 

It was getting decidedly chilly in the garage so I decided to remove the templates from the layout which contain 32, 33 & 38 points and bring them inside. Plain track building in the cold was bearable but building pointwork was a different matter so the dining room table has become a temporary indoor workshop. Once the points have been built up it will be back out to the garage to fit them to the layout and carry on with the plain line track construction.

Today's efforts continued with No:33 points.

post-6371-0-18876000-1419636970_thumb.jpg

post-6371-0-05749900-1419636974_thumb.jpg  

With the indoor point building session substantially complete, with the exception of check rails and stretcher bars, it was back to the bracing temperatures of the garage to carry on with finishing the connection in to platform 6.

post-6371-0-25615600-1420044439_thumb.jpg

With one rail aligned is was out with the roller gauges to position the second rail.

post-6371-0-88412900-1420044441_thumb.jpg

Finally we have some 12' of completed track. The levels look a bit uneven but this is down to the templates which will be removed 

post-6371-0-52717500-1420044444_thumb.jpg

Now it's back inside to remove the remains of the templates and then start fitting the stretcher bars and check rails.  

The points have had their templates peeled away followed by the fitting of the stretcher bars and check rails. Back in the garage I could now start looking at fixing the track work to the baseboards.

To avoid the "bass box" effect, I am experimenting with 5mm thick closed cell foam rather than cork underlay as the track base. 

post-6371-0-16772100-1420219605_thumb.jpg

post-6371-0-10699400-1420219608_thumb.jpg

post-6371-0-62874100-1420219610_thumb.jpg

I managed to leave "copydex" off the shopping list so nothing has been fixed down yet.......

Hi Emma,

It's been a long time since I popped in to your thread - great progress, fantastic work.

You may recall I mentioned the "arch"-itypal LU brick arch retaining walls in an earlier post.  I fashioned one from Scalescenes texture sheets in 4mm scale - see below.

post-1115-0-35134100-1420225075_thumb.jpg

Is this the type of retaining wall you are planning to add to the rear of your fantastic track formation?

Regards,

Brian.

Archived