Building a Southern Region layout

Tim Hale

PP2.jpg

I thought that it might be worth sharing the other bits of flotsam and jetsam that lurk in the darker corners of the workshop, this is the Push+Pull set No31 from Blacksmith Models - I believe it was Dave Smith of the much missed Cove Models who was responsible.

Thanks to Roger Slater, they have finally seen use on the layout and very handsome they are, especially as Roger applied some serious weathering which really brings the set to life.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I thought that it might be worth sharing the other bits of flotsam and jetsam that lurk in the darker corners of the workshop, this is the Push+Pull set No31 from Blacksmith Models - I believe it was Dave Smith of the much missed Cove Models who was responsible.

Thanks to Roger Slater, they have finally seen use on the layout and very handsome they are, especially as Roger applied some serious weathering which really brings the set to life.

[/center]

There is no doubt that such pull-push sets do identify a certain period on the Southern, and RMWebbers have been known to offer up prayers for an RTR version, but in fact they were converted from multiple original coaches of all three Pre-Grouping companies and thus any model would only satisfy a % of demand. Looks the part!

• Like 1

There is no doubt that such pull-push sets do identify a certain period on the Southern, and RMWebbers have been known to offer up prayers for an RTR version, but in fact they were converted from multiple original coaches of all three Pre-Grouping companies and thus any model would only satisfy a % of demand. Looks the part!

Ian, may I suggest that you offer a prayer in the direction of Northstar? Adrian's latest revision to his website will be of interest. My current wish list is for Set 410 (unlined Maunsell green) and Set 20 (proper Malachite). I hope to see them stretch their legs through Beaminster Jn in the fullness of time; my KA number 736 and Northstar Set 422 have both had a proving run.

It's skill levels like mine that do wonders for the r-t-r/r-t-p market.

PB

Hi Handscombmp,

Are you aware of the 'other' station on the thread is a model of Daggons Road?

I have my late father's collection of photos of the S&DJR gathered during the 40-50's featuring Downton together with other stations along the line. During 2009, I provided Nigel Bray with some information about the line, featured in his book, you should have a copy.

image004.jpg

DesA

• Like 3

Hi Handscombmp,

Are you aware of the 'other' station on the thread is a model of Daggons Road?

I have my late father's collection of photos of the S&DJR gathered during the 40-50's featuring Downton together with other stations along the line. During 2009, I provided Nigel Bray with some information about the line, featured in his book, you should have a copy.

DesA

Yes i did see it. It looks very nice and accurate.

I do have the Nigel Bray's book on the S&DJR.

If you have any other photos that you know didn't make it to press a copy of them would be much appreciated if that is possible thanks. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Beach hut bashing:

CF1.jpg CF2.jpg

The Southern Railway and its predecessor, the London & South Western Railway had a 'thing' for timber buildings for use a railway buildings - all across the system, wooden structures served the railway company as shelter for the traveller. Some stations had nought but wooden buildings with nothing more substantial than the brick chimney or splash course, Beaminster is such a collection of tatty beach huts and tin sheds, only the railway employees received better accommodation.

The basis for Beaminster Junction is the Wills SS67 Station Building, it bears more a passing resemblance to Chandlers Ford except the lack of canopy and the fact that it is, essentially, a single building. But a bit of kit bashing may be the answer?

CF5.jpg

Watch this space for further developments...........B)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Having just found this thred and read it through I have to say that your fumblings in the shed are paying dividends ,

you are producing a lovely model here , I think the adaptations of the building are very well done , also the paintwork

on the shed really captures the look of a well worn building .

I did wonder why a ' buffer store ' needed to be that size though , trust me not to see beyond a railway usage , :(

Keep up the good work and keep posting , I really like this .

• RMweb Premium

Mike wrote:

Buffer stores were any size (this is a relatively small version) and could be used to store anything from dry foods to cold storage facilities such as Wells, Bentley and Stockport.

The MoS Store at Pinhoe was a collection of 'Super-Nissens' but other of the brick-built variety do exist: MoS Buffer Stores

Hi Des ,

Yes I quickly picked up where my thinking had gone astray , being a bit slow last night this was my initial thought

for buffer store . :rolleyes:

post-6765-0-16449100-1298197049_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome intruder-

IMG_0187.jpg

One of a twin arrived on the workbench for fitting a decoder and thanks to Jules, the task was successful and the big bruiser spent more than a few minutes gliding up and down the layout.

The LMS twin is totally correct for use on Beaminster Junction having been transferred to the SW division for continued testing on the Waterloo-Exeter turns in the early 50's. A rake of suitable liveried carmine/cream coaches await its use, I just need to weather the beast.

IMG_0188.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Des,

I've just caught up with this thread, looks like the layout is progressing very nicely; most inspiring.

Interesting that you mentioned Frank Crudass and the list of his articles; but was there ever a feature on his layout?

His models were excellent, and his Wadebridge layout must have been quite something.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1

David,

I think that the index represents the only references to the work of Frank Crudass and that the layout was never the subject of a magazine article. It is believed that Frank Crudass retired from modelling due to chronic ill-health and the fate of Wadebridge is unknown - can anyone help?

DesA

• Like 2

After the excellent work of Bill Jones, we return to the more mundane world of my attempts at bodgery. The current line of buildings is merely a collection of Peco/Wills and Merit kits with an occasional flourish of detailing but nothing really special - the current dilemma of insufficient space for the Chandlers Ford inspired double depth beach hut and its replacement by either the current offering below (maybe with the addition of a canopy) or the purchase of Hornby Magazine's Medstead and Four Marks which will need some extra details.

Or, I could use this, the advantage is that it is a genuine exLSWR structure and fits the available footprint perfectly. It just needs toning down with my version of weather beaten SR colours.

SDJR1b.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

While the Skaledale Medstead building may be a fair likeness of the original (I don't know), I feel it shouts to be on the ground at the back of a goods yard, being just the sort of rather poor building used by the shunters, the coal merchant etc. Can you see what I mean? Perhaps it's the chimneys wot does it!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The current line of buildings is merely a collection of Peco/Wills and Merit kits with an occasional flourish of detailing but nothing really special - the current dilemma of insufficient space for the Chandlers Ford inspired double depth beach hut and its replacement by either the current offering below (maybe with the addition of a canopy) or the purchase of Hornby Magazine's Medstead and Four Marks which will need some extra details.

I think your collection of modified buildings as you've shown them, has much more character than the Medstead building, nice though that is. A canopy might make the difference to the Medstead building, though - it's the individuality that's going to make it stand out. :)

• Like 1

med_gallery_10573_1411_96471.jpg

The detail of Downton shows the lack of too much platform furniture - the seat and stretcher cabinet (wot, no fire buckets?) seem to be the only obvious items however the various drain bunds and air bricks certainly deserve to be replicated as does the fine array of telegraph/phone terminations.

• Like 2

The dilemma of the station buildings seems to have been solved with Bill's offering of Downton, however this is causing me to question the whole concept of Beaminster Junction. Should I continue with the project or go back twenty years to my beloved S&DJR and build Downton? The existing platforms will be acceptable but the track plan will need to be reviewed and I could take the opportunity to use SMP with handbuilt turnouts but retain the existing fiddleyard.-

It also means the rationalisation of all the stock, no more SR 4-6-0's, LMS 10000 and the M7 with its push+pull is not needed, at least the T9's, 700 and other Salisbury favourites will find themselves employment.

Oh dear.........

Anyway, here's the latest on Downton:

Downton03.jpg.JPG

Downton01.jpg.JPG

• Like 4