Building a Southern Region layout

Tim Hale

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

Thanks to John H. Edge some very old photos of our Departmental Stock have returned home, Martin Jones might find a couple to be of interest? With the exception of the Tunney and Dogfish, the wagons are still part of the Child Okeford stocklist.

The most recent acquisition - MiG and ABE weathering powders fixed with Dullcote

IMG_1106.JPG.60a25e6df19669e53b71df646df30648.JPG

IMG_0070.jpg.4a16ef5bc4728a7a6d084e86ebb6990b.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg.6fd001954633519f1c70634f47131055.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg.7973f4ec4da314e65f453934ed8584db.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg.9fea0afaf527362f62aa6ebd88419039.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg.01078c627c676b2f3b9af7594c8a3a45.jpg

Cheers

Jack

Love these and the weathering is just so subtle.

P

Guest Jack Benson

Hi Phil,

We are just starting to weather our stock, therefore subtle is really us being really careful. The exception was the Mermaid and it was the first use of MiG and ABE powders, not entirely successful but the flouresent lighting does 'warm' the images.

Cheers

Jac

On 05/06/2019 at 20:02, Jack Benson said:

<   snip   >

MiG and ABE weathering powders fixed with Dullcote

Dullcote  -  isn't that effectively a thin matte varnish?

Do you just spray it on lightly over the powder/chalk to hold it in place, or have I got the wrong idea?

I've never weathered with powders, so not sure of the techniques.

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Apologies for the lack of the usual weekend updates, we just found out that the Artistic Director was admiited to YDH very early on Saturday morning, he was hoping to join us at the Warminster show if only to meet old friends.

We are taking a break until there is better news.

Cheers

Jack

• RMweb Premium
On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 21:34, devonseasider said:

Dullcote  -  isn't that effectively a thin matte varnish?

Do you just spray it on lightly over the powder/chalk to hold it in place, or have I got the wrong idea?

I've never weathered with powders, so not sure of the techniques.

Artists' Fixative spray can work on powders.

Phil

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

Apologies for the lack of the usual weekend updates, we just found out that the Artistic Director was admiited to YDH very early on Saturday morning, he was hoping to join us at the Warminster show if only to meet old friends.

We are taking a break until there is better news.

Cheers

Jack

Wish the AD all the very best from me matey.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jack,

Back off hols so please let me know when its convenient to progress the Hornby Black Five railing project. Pleased to say that I have located my version without too much problem. Is Sunday morning still your preferred tea break sessions?

Kind regards,

Richard B  

Guest Jack Benson
3 hours ago, 30368 said:

Hi Jack,

Back off hols so please let me know when its convenient to progress the Hornby Black Five railing project. Pleased to say that I have located my version without too much problem. Is Sunday morning still your preferred tea break sessions?

Kind regards,

Richard B  

Hello and welcome back Richard,

Sundays are always 'at home' - refreshments will be on hand if you care to visit.

Cheers

Jack

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

I think that the AD has gone overboard with engineering departmental stock - what was he thinking?

image.jpeg.e2f0de20f2b3e7ee4a92d6f2d68b37e8.jpeg

Methinks a cull or simply some restraint is needed.....

Cheers

Jack

Hmmm, Meldon Quarry layout??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

image.png.05a1004608cb36db3901ece3b1564a55.png

6 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Sunday morning visitors : -

Hi Jack, I've just noticed that the pony truck wheel is off! I must try out that re-railer!

Have a good break and see you soon.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Gold
On 05/07/2019 at 15:10, Jack Benson said:

Naturally, :(

As soon as the post is complete, it needs to updated with another plain, old brown wagon, this time, another cattle wagon for Sturminster Newton's market.

This time, it was bought pre-weathered from Scott at The Weathering Works and it is beauty.

IMG_1181_800.JPG.jpg.f93daeccc0d9e1f2b5ec8570d9d0bbd4.jpg

I've bought a few of his wagons and he has a real knack for turning even the most mediocre of models into something quite delightful. 

Guest Jack Benson
12 minutes ago, JZ said:

Still waiting on the etched smokebox door plates then.

You MUST model that telegraph pole!!!!

Still waiting to hear from Narrow Planet, I think that the next run of plates is due soon.

And yes, that pole (and the tree) is a must-do

Cheers

Jack

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Thanks goes to Phil Sutters

43419.jpg.604ff417b768abc7e8fc7c4325ad3088.jpg

IMG_1187a_900.JPG.jpg.91bc6816e28966c671dcb514445820f1.jpg

Unfortunately, the Quonset hut is in the wrong place on Child Okeford and the backscene is rather bare, but it was Phil's image that inspired our attempt to create a scene.

Thanks to JZ for re-numbering the 3F.

Cheers

Jack

Good to see your interpretation of Dad's photo. It's a pity your location doesn't allow Glastonbury Tor to lurk in the background. If his five photos of Goods on the SDJR would be appreciated in that album, let me know who to email them to and I will send them. Don't forget that there are several goods trains in the Newman Family Tree website.

Here’s my take on SDJR 2P 40564, weathered,  based on a picture in  S&D in Colour on shed at Templecombe.

Started life as a Hornby R3459TTS sound fitted 2P.  

Lamp Irons and  LMS ModelU lamps waiting to fit ready for appearance on the Bournemouth West layout Templecombe service.

40564-1.jpg

40564-2.jpg

40564-3.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

It will come as no surprise to friends that the AD recently travelled to Berlin for a short course of treatment. 

Unfortunately, a week ago, he was admitted with a secondary chest infection and is currently on a ventilator trying to fight the bronchitis, things do not look too good as the antibiotics have yet to make any difference. The hospital is concerned that pleurosy might take hold followed by pneumonia.

He is fighting back and still tapping away on his iPad, Linda is doing her best to cope.

This thread effectively ends here and now.

Cheers

JB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Whilst lying about coughing and doing nothing, the AD* thought it would be a jolly wheeze to create an illustrated list of 1:76 bits and pieces useful to modellers of the SDJR. The resultant series of images had to be split into four separate posts on the Child Okeford blog. Lots of picture and minimal waffle.

Click here

WTOF09.jpg.d0e974eb01b0143fc9268c962be693e9.jpg

*Feeling better

JB

Guest Jack Benson

A trio of wagons have been either repainted or weathered. The initial release of the two vans was missed and these were originally SR versions whilst the long-suffering Shark needed appropriate weathering - all done by Mike Hitchin.

shark1.jpg.7f2b3e3b715e95be280c83230d03f0be.jpg

IMG_20190813_172318.jpg.b2fa78be803d0a086345f9be9e9b6a00.jpg

Cheers

JB

• RMweb Premium

Jack,

Thought I would post G6 update here given we are now modelling Templecombe's 30274 and not DS 682. The little 0-6-0 now runs well and is starting to look the part. One other significant difference between the two prototypes concerns the boiler. 30274 seems to have had a Drummond boiler during its BR career. This means that the safety valves are located on the top of the dome rather than on the firebox. All the pictures I have of 274 suggests the safety valves are not visible (at least from ground level pictures) since I suspect the actual dome rather than the dome cover is fairly low and the dome cover is higher so all one can see is the cut out slot on top of the dome cover to accommodate the safety valves if the actual dome was higher. Hope you follow, I'm not sure I do!

In other words I will modify a suitable dome with a slot on top!. 

I will leave the smokebox wrapper in place.

717464875_IMG_4967(2).JPG.d8418c985c832be3fffe40b47065a07e.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
error
  • Like 4