Building a Southern Region layout

Tim Hale

On 17/04/2020 at 14:39, Jack Benson said:

Hi guys,

I have no answers as to why the box and model do not conform with given wisdom however I was just happy to buy the model, perfect for my needs. 

The next search is for a reasonably priced S15, another Southern mixed traffic loco.

Cheers

Try Kernow.

Mike

Guest Jack Benson
16 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

Try Kernow.

Mike

Mike,

Hattons - I used my credit note to buy a Hornby S15 but I did add a DJ Models 02 direct from Chris at KMRC. The loco roster is now full and it is no longer dominated by Hornby products, instead equally split between older Bachmann, modern Hornby and two kitbuilt locos - the DJ 02 is the 'joker' in the pack.

The odd selection is based on allocations at Dorchester and Exmouth taken from the Shed Bash website.

The exLMS corridor sets will be replaced with a pair of Maunsell 58' brake thirds coupled brake to brake, just as my father captured them in the 50s whilst all the goods stock is equally at home.

My only concern is the Fruit D, whilst an example seemed to be a regular visitor to the 50s SDJR were they irregular visitors to the Southern Region in the South West?

That is it, no further updates. Isolation is a busy time in the garden and Chandlers Row needs to be finished in case Railex in Taunton is still going ahead.

Cheers

The alternate activity to model railways - a view from the workshop

20200420.JPG.46aca51e81629f55eea43060b30de413.JPG

Stay safe and healthy

Guest Jack Benson

Continuing with the SDJR theme, a Stanier Black Five seemed an essential on the layout, the problem is the Hornby model is not up to current standards in terms of both appearance and running qualities.

Alternatives include, in no particular order of merit, DJH, Keyser, Graham Farish and Brassmasters. A model was acquired as described by the seller as DJH, it was built by John Brighton's team at Steamline, Sheffield who identified the model as Brassmasters. John has since retired but was exceptionally helpful during research into the 'backstory' of his model.

image002.jpg.419b77e155108f7f9e6f76350e2b6c3b.jpg

As built by John Brighton in 2010

20200306_BLK5_1.jpg.913bf2662f9d69644995c5c271715e8b.jpg

As bought in 2020

161443509_DSCN0513(2).JPG.56d16d8efe3a067a1dc5c75935e03739.JPG

As lined, new identity and large early BR totem

The model represents a short firebox 'domeless' loco as one of the  fifty (5020–5069) ordered from the Vulcan Foundry in 1933, 45056 was allocated to Bath Green Park in the early 50s whilst still coupled to a riveted tender unfortunately I have not found an image of 45056 on the SDJR or any images before 1958.

45056_Skipton_1966.jpg.85c1222dceed3120cf00e42a6c54797f.jpg

Thanks to the Modelling the SDJR Facebook group, an image of 45056 at Skipton in '66, the lining has changed and it has acquired a welded tender.

Was the effort worthwhile? The loco is very smooth and unlike the Hornby Black Five's that have visited the layout, 45056 will negotiate the Peco trackwork with aplomb. It does look odd attached to a typical three-car set but we run a permanent pre-summer Sunday service and the combination was normal.

20190419_44806_19610524.jpg.f62ca60168b87e0b6b0e400206ceedca.jpg

No idea of the origin of the image, it was found on the wall of a local secondhand bookshop in Winton, Bournemouth, it appears to be a Black Five with a rake of four-compartment Maunsells passing Branksome shed.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Jack, that's a superb model, I genuinely thought that the top photo was the real thing. I recall asking John Brighton about a possible commission a few years ago, but the waiting list was very long (several years). That looks like a great purchase.

Guest Jack Benson
46 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

That's a lovely loco, Jack, but shouldn't the unicycling lion be facing the front?

David

Moot point, the emblem was copied from a grainy (and copyrighted) photo of another Vulcan built loco in the early 50s however there has been considerable heated debate on the Modelling the SDJR FB group involving the College of Heralds and mistakes made by paint shops. I merely smile and consider that until the armchair pedants amongst the modelling community have proof that mistakes were not made, then the orientation of the totem will remain a trigger point for them pedants.  

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Mea culpa, Jack! I would only plead that I was unaware of any controversy of the various directions of the early emblem unlike the rather more well-known B.R. tribulations over the later version.

As you were, Mr Benson. I wouldn't allow a malnourished lion to come between me and your excellent modelling which I continue to enjoy.

David

Guest Jack Benson
3 hours ago, DavidLong said:

Mea culpa, Jack! I would only plead that I was unaware of any controversy of the various directions of the early emblem unlike the rather more well-known B.R. tribulations over the later version.

As you were, Mr Benson. I wouldn't allow a malnourished lion to come between me and your excellent modelling which I continue to enjoy.

David

David,

Thanks, it will be changed, if only to de-trigger certain folk.

Cheers

Guest Jack Benson

Okey dokey, the mistake lasted a couple of days, Modelmaster to the rescue.

F379D892-730D-46A5-B88D-12980CC8B5D8.jpeg.38e5cb15bc2426aa06163f6544d7f89a.jpeg

Cheers and stay safe peeps

Guest Jack Benson

The Southern tended to be somewhat parsimonious when providing facilitities for the travelling public, not even a light however it was unlikely that the station was open during darkness.

IMG_1402.JPG.cdedc04984a27159b153e817642207f4.JPG

That step is a health and safety hazard.

Cheers and Stay Safe peeps

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2020 at 10:33, Jack Benson said:

Moot point, the emblem was copied from a grainy (and copyrighted) photo of another Vulcan built loco in the early 50s however there has been considerable heated debate on the Modelling the SDJR FB group involving the College of Heralds and mistakes made by paint shops. I merely smile and consider that until the armchair pedants amongst the modelling community have proof that mistakes were not made, then the orientation of the totem will remain a trigger point for them pedants.  

Cheers

Interesting article here:  Lion & Wheel History  about the history and development (and demise) of the various BR emblems.

Happy (or not...) reading!

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Guest Jack Benson

Another modelling image, just a few wagons and Yeovil's Ruston (courtesy of Peco)

Just a small, simple home layout, very satisfying during these extraordinary times

Stay safe peeps

image.jpeg.46dad860ad2f40953ca4f0d8cce8da86.jpeg

Guest Jack Benson

On the workbench, something quite new, a laser-cut card and MDF Southern Railway station building. It is a new experience but utterly fulfiling because it is perfectly designed. However, it will be improved with an elegant tall chimney and sash windows. 

Stage one - the shell

LK200_Shell.jpg.f26656d126cd4308a60fe07aa86a4866.jpg

Stay safe peeps

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2020 at 13:07, Jack Benson said:

Another modelling image, just a few wagons and Yeovil's Ruston (courtesy of Peco)

Just a small, simple home layout, very satisfying during these extraordinary times

Stay safe peeps

image.jpeg.46dad860ad2f40953ca4f0d8cce8da86.jpeg

That's a great image!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

On the workbench, something quite new, a laser-cut card and MDF Southern Railway station building. It is a new experience but utterly fulfiling because it is perfectly designed.

Built quite a few laser cut kits for the new layout. Very satisfying to build.

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

Over nine long years ago,  the late Bill Jones delivered Downton for a possible project which never took off, tragically, within eighteen months Bill succumbed to cancer and all his models were sold. A couple of weeks ago, an image of Bill's Downton reappeared on the internet and it has been recovered thanks to the infinite kindness of its new owner, now Downton has a permanent home.

Downton_1_600.jpg.e5716ee59fe21a244cda3bc7a3483720.jpg

What to do about Child Okeford, it has already suffered one major identity change, could it rotate full circle back to Beaminster Road? A few Southern locos have been sitting in the 'rainy day' cupboard moreover none of the Southern rolling stock was sold. So maybe, just maybe a phoenix might emerge from the flames.

Cheers and stay safe

• RMweb Premium

Lovely work Jack, so back to the SR rather than the S&D? Wise choice in my book.

I have contacted your suggested layout builder and as soon as > 70 lockdown is lifted we will meet up and make a start. Thanks for the contact.

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS "Beattie" is now finished and running well but a real struggle ! Pleased with the result though.

Guest Jack Benson
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Lovely work Jack, so back to the SR rather than the S&D? Wise choice in my book.

I have contacted your suggested layout builder and as soon as > 70 lockdown is lifted we will meet up and make a start. Thanks for the contact.

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS "Beattie" is now finished and running well but a real struggle ! Pleased with the result though.

Richard,

I have been enthralled by Beattie, like you I would like a good T14 instead I make do with a Goods Arthur. 

OK, now the conundrum of ‘what to do now’, the return of Downton station buildings seems to have forced the answer although the layout can never claim to be Downton. All the Somerset and Dorset items have found or are currently finding new homes and an eye-wateringly ugly ARP signal cabin is being built, the Worthy Down example is our inspiration. 

Stay safe and healthy

• RMweb Premium

Jack,

Downton would be a good choice, T9s, S11s, L12s lots of Drummond 4-4-0 although not the D15? You could even have a 2 car DEMU ?

Re T14, yes I would love one, just missed a kit for same! managed to get a Urie version of the S15 though.

Will stay safe and well as far as one can and the same goes for you two too,

Kind regards,

Richard

Guest Jack Benson

Busy weekend,

This is the Ratio 554 ARP Signal Cabin, it will become replace the SDJR cabin as Child Okeford morphs back to a Southern layout. The excuse for such wanton vandalism is based on the dubious claim that the line was upgraded for wartime traffic, the redundant loop re-instated and better signalling to cope with the traffic levels (and all load bearing structures re-inforced) Much the same happened to the DN&S at Worthy Down (HMS Aerial/ Daedalus ) hence the hideous cabin.

The kit needs re-working, the glazing bars are being replaced by strips of sticky white label, an L-Cut interior and the roof is on backwards (the instructions and illustrations are wrong)

Otherwise, it has bags of character and will raise a few eyebrows.

Cheers and Stay Safe

91D58012-A1BF-40C7-A17B-18DBE9AF463A.jpeg.f7aeb709bb17852f19837a3a801f7559.jpeg

Guest Jack Benson

A very busy weekend,

The early 50s theme includes a variety of odd and lost features that would be recognised by those who spent their formative years watching steam trains. The pillbox seems to be a favourite thanks to examples from Wills and Hornby but this local brick-built design is rather neat, it will find itself on one of the layouts. A similar example was recently discovered just outside Crewkerne on the Yeovil road after being covered in brambles since ‘45.

Cheers and Stay Safe

053D79DE-8FAA-446E-82A7-B7C3DEA7DA8C.jpeg.5725216159da0f88953ff6419a4e2a86.jpeg

071E383F-EE89-4D55-8BC7-50F1045EBEAF.jpeg.8efc61222e76762ee085cef6b0564f8e.jpeg

Guest Jack Benson

My wife suggests that retirement has resulted in too much spare time but concedes that these look 'cute'. The response was that Lady Penelope would be disappointed with the replacement for her Rolls.

Isetta_Lowfit.jpg.4f61cefc842d753b4ff0642f7b130c69.jpg

The wagon was inspired by the image elsewhere on the forum of 30823 dropping down the gradient near Milborne Wick with a Lowfit loaded with Brighton Work's finest product.

For the pedants, the numberplates will be blanked.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Making promises to ones self is always a bit suspect, New Year's resolutions fall by the wayside as soon as nobody remembers that they were made. In this case, the fiasco of the mazak affected Hornby T9s caused so many problems and the resolve never to own another was unshakeable, until this image emerged.

30304_Poole.jpg.713f1a669972d9da897f03d5d4310627.jpg

"This image reproduced with permission.  Please do not share or post elsewhere without the permission of the copyright owner(s).© 2016 - 53A Models of Hull Collection. Scanned from the original 120 monochrome negative; photograph by the late James S Doubleday."

It is T9 30304 piloted by 700 30695 running through Poole enroute for Salisbury in 1957, of particular interest is the exSECR railmotor set, a similar image exists by J.H. Aston of 30304 on a down train at Fordingbridge.  The Salisbury and Dorset Junction Railway was a particular favourite of the late Bill Jones and one or two others.  

With the return of Bill's Downton buildings, a cunning plan* has developed to use the Downton buildings as part of the utterly ficticious Beaminster Road, after the construction of Downton and the Dorchester-Exeter extension would have been contemporaneous, the use of the buildings is appropriate.  Moreover both routes would have utilisied the similar types of motive power and stock with only minor local variations, therefore when this appeared on well known auction website, all resistance was futile.

R3107_30313.jpg.a4c363737195bb8b8103ee3429c9698c.jpg

It is yet to arrive, hopefully it is OK, the six wheel tender runs rather better than the watercart, so smiles all round.

*Sorry Baldrick

Cheers and Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Another image courtesy of Peco Publications, Child Okeford finally made it into print in June's RM only to be re-purposed as Beaminster Road which is where it all started.

DSC00976ROUGH.jpg.1960b0292712942d4a5e04d89b36b8c4.jpg

One bonus, no need to change the sign on Mr. Tilley's premises.

Cheers and Stay Safe

3 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi,

Making promises to ones self is always a bit suspect, New Year's resolutions fall by the wayside as soon as nobody remembers that they were made. In this case, the fiasco of the mazak affected Hornby T9s caused so many problems and the resolve never to own another was unshakeable, until this image emerged.

30304_Poole.jpg.713f1a669972d9da897f03d5d4310627.jpg

"This image reproduced with permission.  Please do not share or post elsewhere without the permission of the copyright owner(s).© 2016 - 53A Models of Hull Collection. Scanned from the original 120 monochrome negative; photograph by the late James S Doubleday."

It is T9 30304 piloted by 700 30695 running through Poole enroute for Salisbury in 1957, of particular interest is the exSECR railmotor set, a similar image exists by J.H. Aston of 30304 on a down train at Fordingbridge.  The Salisbury and Dorset Junction Railway was a particular favourite of the late Bill Jones and one or two others.  

With the return of Bill's Downton buildings, a cunning plan* has developed to use the Downton buildings as part of the utterly ficticious Beaminster Road, after the construction of Downton and the Dorchester-Exeter extension would have been contemporaneous, the use of the buildings is appropriate.  Moreover both routes would have utilisied the similar types of motive power and stock with only minor local variations, therefore when this appeared on well known auction website, all resistance was futile.

R3107_30313.jpg.a4c363737195bb8b8103ee3429c9698c.jpg

It is yet to arrive, hopefully it is OK, the six wheel tender runs rather better than the watercart, so smiles all round.

*Sorry Baldrick

Cheers and Stay Safe

Interesting to see the ex SECR railmotor set still working in and around Dorset in 1957.  The set worked for many years on the Sheppey Light Rly. in Kent until that line closed in 1950.  They - I think there were two sets - were then transferred to Dorset for work on the Portland Branch from Weymouth to Easton.  They stayed until that line also closed in 1952 and I wondered what happened to them after that.

Gerry

• Informative/Useful 1