Building a Southern Region layout

Tim Hale

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jack,

The S11 had smaller wheels (6ft rather than 6ft 7inches) than their L12 sisters so that they could cope with the switchbacks of the LSWR line to the west. I don't think that they were restricted to west of Salisbury and certainly not in BR days. As you know, I would also buy an S11 kit!

Stay safe and kind regards,

Richard B

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Unfortunately not much interest in persuing the release of a S11 in 4mm but maybe one day?

In the meantime, inspiration from RMweb's Nile, has resulted in the purchase of a Golden Arrow Productions 0395 from Chris. Memories of DJH's odd-length castings have coloured my perception of this useful locomotive and it will compliment the 02 and G6. The 0395 was a rather Victorian standard goods 0-6-0 that was not extinct until 1959 when 30567 was withdrawn. Seen below at Feltham Locomotive Depot.

Older even than the ex-LSWR Drummond '700' class 0-6-0 at Feltham Locomotive Depot is Adams '395' class 0-6-0 No. 30567, which was built as No. 154 in 3/1883, later Duplicate No. 0154, SR No. 3154, then BR No. 30567 and survived until 9/59.

30.jpg.3b35e599daf52addfedbf07c831fa8f6.jpg

Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0 Geograph-2979734-by-Ben-Brooksbank

Lovely old thing,  the build will feature an SEF etched generic chassis, suitably modified with two-stage drive and can motor as previously commented, a very useful locomotive.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

I quite enjoy Sunday mornings, even though enforced retirement has turned every day into a Sunday, it is still different. Today was no exception, woken by the dog/birds/sun, I toddled round to the shed and started a familiar task - another station building.

There have been lots of station buildings in the past few years but a kind offer of the return of Bill Jones' Downton buildings required me to exchange a number of completed structures from Child Okeford. No bother, I managed to build them in the past and it should still be just about possible despite the tremors and lousy eyesight, thanks to the simplicity and design of the kit - Peco's Platform Shelter and Hut LK16.

This is a heartfelt tribute to one of my favourite kits, the Southern had a fondness for  small wooden station buildings, easily built on site by local labour, thankfully, the Peco kit is both cheap and adaptable.

IMG_1511_500.jpg.1c40ac744ffb39b2e39dec432ec32749.jpg

IMG_1509_500.jpg.576279af627f579f7ae1666172068d2e.jpg

IMG_1512_500.jpg.151e0f999fdbd34c5e1e4ff6ba835c9f.jpg

GreenBits_500.jpg.b420b5ac125f9e3d78d5450e61db9f1c.jpg

Windows_400.jpg.5d1af13b8862079d2610cec6e595f74e.jpg

IMG_1516a500.jpg.c3af970e0924c98f621f02e287c91020.jpg

For ease, I spray the green components with Humbrol Acrylic Green Grass and the windows get a dusting of white after the smaller glazing bars are removed. After assemby, the wooden buildings and valences get two coats of stone. 

For a painting chart try this link:- Southern Colours

Cheers and Stay Safe

Finally, thanks for allowing me to waffle on.

On 06/06/2020 at 10:07, Jack Benson said:

In the meantime, inspiration from RMweb's Nile, has resulted in the purchase of a Golden Arrow Productions 0395 from Chris. Memories of DJH's odd-length castings have coloured my perception of this useful locomotive and it will compliment the 02 and G6. The 0395 was a rather Victorian standard goods 0-6-0 that was not extinct until 1959 when 30567 was withdrawn. Seen below at Feltham Locomotive Depot.

Older even than the ex-LSWR Drummond '700' class 0-6-0 at Feltham Locomotive Depot is Adams '395' class 0-6-0 No. 30567, which was built as No. 154 in 3/1883, later Duplicate No. 0154, SR No. 3154, then BR No. 30567 and survived until 9/59.

30.jpg.3b35e599daf52addfedbf07c831fa8f6.jpg

Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0 Geograph-2979734-by-Ben-Brooksbank

Lovely old thing,  the build will feature an SEF etched generic chassis, suitably modified with two-stage drive and can motor as previously commented, a very useful locomotive.

Cheers and Stay Safe

I agree. I cannot claim to have constructed the kit but purchased one a few years back. Added crew, renumbered and added DCC.  It looks quite good in the loco yard and has an occasional spin round the layout with appropriate wagons. Doubtless someone here will be able to identify the kit. DJH?

8E33B006-623C-4656-8A68-6EF564C8C8AB.jpeg

Edited by barrymx5
  • Like 4

Guest Jack Benson

Thumpers in the morning

The Southern Region class 2H and 3H DEMUs are nicknamed 'Thumpers' owing to the noise they made while in motio. The first batch of units, numbered 1101–1118, was built in 1957 as two-car units and classified as 2H. 

They were built for services in Hampshire on the non-electrified routes between Portsmouth Harbour, Salisbury and Andover and between Alton, Winchester and Southampton Terminus. The first units entered service in September 1957.

Thumpa_Wumpa.jpg.131728f1d479f0e4cef6bb7ba6448dc1.jpg

Soon after introduction, units were equipped with a luminous orange-Vee painted on the motor-coach in order to provide an early visual indication to station staff that there was no brake van at the other end of the unit. With the introduction of yellow warning panels the orange-Vee was replaced by an inverted black triangle; this being extended at this time to all Southern Region 2 & 3-car multiple units.

On Beaminster Road, the unit is running tests to replace the sixty-year old 02 and exLSWR brake thirds.

Stay Safe and Thanks

The Artistic Director

Guest Jack Benson

Part two of Sunday mornings in the shed- the other weekly ritual second only to Gardener's World

The two Peco buildings are finished but not quite, they need essential weathering - they get a good wash with Mig Decay which nicely replicates the mould of the South West's weather.

mig2.jpeg..jpg.549d7d2e061c700c331625bd237cf6d1.jpg

There are a few mistakes in their finish, normally they receive a careful re-touch to correct any faults but this time, the faults remain as part of the general decrepitude associated with neglect. Finally, they will receive suitably 'jolly' holiday posters in due course.

IMG_1532.jpg.b8b94e81988dbf8f487e8a0bd0218faa.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg.ae2b190c842b9ffac0b615bcb9fd0002.jpg

Cheers and Stay Safe

Those Peco kits are really good, I have been scratch building my latest station and im afraid to say it does not come close to the standard of the Peco station buildings. I use the Peco door and windows pack which is the same moulds that come with those kits.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/06/2020 at 23:33, barrymx5 said:

I agree. I cannot claim to have constructed the kit but purchased one a few years back. Added crew, renumbered and added DCC.  It looks quite good in the loco yard and has an occasional spin round the layout with appropriate wagons. Doubtless someone here will be able to identify the kit. DJH?

8E33B006-623C-4656-8A68-6EF564C8C8AB.jpeg

That's an ex-SECR C class, so probably Wills/SEFinecast if it's metal, or possibly OO works if it looks more like a resin body.

1 hour ago, Nile said:

That's an ex-SECR C class, so probably Wills/SEFinecast if it's metal, or possibly OO works if it looks more like a resin body.

It's definitely metal. So you reckon Wills/Finecast? But I am almost certain it is a LSWR 0395 Class. 

Edited by barrymx5

Guest Jack Benson

Barry, that is a C Class, no idea of the manufacturer.

The 0395 had the sandbox on the leading splasher and those with LSWR boiler had a distinct 'leaning' smokebox, also there are no coal rails which suggests a C Class. None of these features are evident on your model.

Ignore the numbering, it is bogus.

unnamed.jpg.6b5e4f923e9bbd737128a18d72a94d9d.jpg

Cheers and Stay Safe

DSCF0119.JPG.fdf4f18da6cdb4be5a2f260f1eb125be.JPG

3H unit constructed from MJT sides and parts with a second hand Triang motor bogie rewheeled with scale wheels. Goes like a startled rabbit! I have also constructed several centre coaches for the Bachmann 2 car sets from Replica parts for fellow club members. Hardest job is matching the paint colours (fellow club member did the Connex one!) Currently constructing a second hand DC Kits 3 coach set.

• Like 7

Guest Jack Benson
21 hours ago, down the sdjr said:

Those Peco kits are really good, I have been scratch building my latest station and im afraid to say it does not come close to the standard of the Peco station buildings. I use the Peco door and windows pack which is the same moulds that come with those kits.

Paul,

It is worthwhile modifying the windows by removing the small glazing bars.

Another improvement is to replace the chimney on Peco and Wills kits with the elelgant Ratio 140.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Sta_Win2a.jpg

iRatio_140.jpeg

Guest Jack Benson

Sunday has become a running day and today it is mixed traffic with N15 30452 Sir Meliagrance* on an east bound fitted van train.

IMG_0002_800.jpg.34d4e9a22b05dd27646dacb88241bef4.jpg

*An unfortunate choice as Sir Melligrance was a treacherous Knight of the Round Table who lusted after Queen Guinevere

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

Still have not updated the running in boards.

However, a 2H in its natural habitat.

IMG_1542.jpg.b126d38f704a5d4e9078df71c0e68f4a.jpg

A stunning runner, worth every penny.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Hi Jack,

I do like an Adams Radial. I have a Oxford Rail one and while some people dont like the slow gearing i think it runs lovely. Although never noted running on the S&D mine does from time to time.

great locos.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson

exLSWR Adams 0395

At last, the components are beginning to arrive at long last. Neil's build was the inspiration but a few subtle changes are planned, an etched chassis from Comet with Highlevel motordrive plus a few bits from Brassmasters and it will be finished as 30567, the last in service.

Click here for the full update

30567_Feltham.jpg.cb9da56cba46a86e0ba0de45539ac71a.jpg

Cheers and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson
On 26/06/2020 at 11:07, Jack Benson said:

An admission of doubt, not sure whether a 2H is really appropriate for Beaminster Road.......except the N class, every other of motive power originated on the LSWR, all pre-grouping designs.

The replacement for the 2H has arrived, a rather typical if not logical choice. It will need 'improving' with some weathering, additional lamp irons, crew and absolutely essential tender pickups but it is a lovel Victorian (just) locomotive and the perfect foil to the T9.  30382 was the only K10 to carry its BR number albeit with Southern in sunshine lettering on the tender and it is a lovely runner, thanks Roderick.

IMG_0006_700.jpg.f142201ad47653aeb92f546a8d5487ab.jpg

Lots of oohs and aahs are appropriate, mostly from Muggins who will have to backdate all the other locos with early BR lion or full BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender, but it is worth the faff.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson
Missing will

Guest Jack Benson

The Sunday Engineering train - 2

After almost a year some progress with the rake, the Herring is complete and lettered, the Dogfish has been re-lettered whilst both will be weathered.

Herring_Dogfish.jpg.18f3a68d0056e2496dad094ecf82dad8.jpg

The etched Herring was a challenging build, only finescale wheels will fit, no allowance for autocouplings and no space for hidden weight. Neither was it a particularly free runner however tweaking solved the problems. My thanks to Mike and Neil.

Cheers and Stay Safe

• RMweb Gold

The Small Hopper does look lovely, but I've recently paid the final instalment on a Brighton B4 4-4-0, kitbuilt and painted for me by a competent RMweb person. I hope to take delivery in August. 

• Like 4

Guest Jack Benson

Ian,

Please upload images of your Brighton B4, what kit was used?

Cheers and Stay Safe

• RMweb Gold

I will, when it and I are united and with an Internet connection, probably in Sherry's flat in mid-August. The kit is from London Road Models. At Railex last year I talked to Jol Wilkinson of this parish, who was on the LRM stand as usual, and we concluded I should approach a particular RMwebber who was also exhibiting there. That fine fellow has provided a turnkey service, procuring all the other parts and providing the labour. He's even installing my choice of decoder. 

I promise pics in due course.

• Like 5

Guest Jack Benson

Ryall.png.1a0507c2977a157e3ecef41c71335555.png

The 1km spur to the army camp at Ryall is receiving attention, a couple of suitable obsolete army vehicles have been acquired for the Territorial Army unit based at Ryall army training camp.

Tilly.jpg.5e161bfa2c194b2c3f28847f5951a957.jpg

Tilley utility vehicle

OY.jpg.4da6a5f2ac00cd271a6d793eaadc476c.jpg

Bedford OY

Both are WW2 vintage, suitable only for limited transport use, delivering stores and personnel.

Soon Ryall will be closed, the spur lifted and all trace of the training camp will be gone as it returns to agricultural land.

Cheers and Stay Safe