Building a Southern Region layout

Tim Hale

• 1 month later...
On 19/11/2020 at 10:43, Jack Benson said:

The next project is another nostalgic journey to attempt to recreate a plausible yard office loosely based on Axminster Gates.

axminster-gates_1.jpg.7625b74b8583e54efa7e652e0d3cef5f.jpg

This not as odd as it seems, some years ago there were a couple of redundant wooden buildings recycled, all gone either destroyed or preserved.  On order is an equally ancient Airfix yard office as the door is better placed but the windows will have to be upgraded with thin strips of white label.  The Airfix roof really needs reworking with postcard strip and a natty finial, I suppose the only salvageable parts are the wooden sides.

656670887_airfixcoalyardoffice.jpg.c5a06d5044c70b3e700605bda02a7c19.jpg

A brick damproof base is needed and it will receive the usual careworn SR green and cream finish, just waiting the kit to arrive from Pufferwillies.

This was the previous attempt at a yard office, unfortunately my ability to recreate a model to this standard departed when Parkinsons arrived.

IMG_0201_1000.jpg.0bf9139f81c23662ca09ff71929074d4.jpg

Cheers and Stay Safe

Hi Jack, 

I've been catching up on following this thread. I'm loving what you have done and as an aspiring Southern modeller myself with an interest in Wilton (South) I find it very inspiring to get on with my own layout. Your post above (This was the previous attempt at a yard office, unfortunately my ability to recreate a model to this standard departed when Parkinsons arrived.) has struck home with me as my Father had Parkinsons and I'm bothered that in time I might get it too. Just as well we can't see the future I guess.

Best wishes, stay safe,

Phil B. in Peacehaven

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 25/11/2020 at 21:24, Jack Benson said:

The Yard Office - 2

The Airfix/Dapol CO11 Coal Yard office must date from the 1960s but it is a nice kit that fits together and depicts a wooden 'shiplap' building that are still common(ish).

These are the main components, the walls were joined over 24hrs ago to ensure that everything is square and true.

IMG_0222.jpg.6da7b15e8de77d139b3d228397a07b4b.jpg

The colour scheme will be SR green and cream using the standard colours previously used for Beaminster Road.

The roof and ridge tiles are not particularly good and might be replaced whilst the windows will be fitted by placing the frames inside the walls rather than outside.

This thread will be updated as work is progressed.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Hi Jack,

How is this building coming along. I am not familiar with this Dapol kit.

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

As previously mentioned, my maternal grandparents lived beside the LBSCR mainline in Purley, trips to visit them usually lasted long enough for a Sunday trip to the ‘country’ in the Sapphire.

sapphire.jpg.3071e62d46d31ddc409e670ac128c2d7.jpg

Although this not the actual car, it is an Armstrong Siddley Sapphire and our conveyance at weekends. As a reward for passing the 11+, one such journey was to Horsted Keynes where I discovered the Bluebell's Dukedog, just after it had arrived.

sapphire_model.jpg.813ac5d933f984a15790f1901dd837dc.jpg

This rather lumpy model is Oxford Diecast's attempt at a Sapphire but as I could never achieve anything as good, it will represent a very pleasant memory. 

Cheers and Stay Safe

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure your reference shows a Q1 allocated to Dorchester and is not just referring to a visitor? Eastleigh had an allocation of 9 Q1s at this time. BRDatabase doesn't show any Q1s allocated to Dorchester from 1948 onwards. 

Exmouth Junction always had a stud of 700 class locos and these must have worked west of Exeter on a regular basis. Here's 30700 at Exmouth Junction in 1962.

Guest Jack Benson
7 hours ago, RFS said:

Are you sure your reference shows a Q1 allocated to Dorchester and is not just referring to a visitor? Eastleigh had an allocation of 9 Q1s at this time. BRDatabase doesn't show any Q1s allocated to Dorchester from 1948 onwards. 

Are you suggesting that the BRDatabase is correct and the ShedBash data concerning  C15 and C17 in 1948 is incorrect. 

I am merely posting a link to another website and have no responsibility for the veracity of that site.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Are you suggesting that the BRDatabase is correct and the ShedBash data concerning  C15 and C17 in 1948 is incorrect. 

I am merely posting a link to another website and have no responsibility for the veracity of that site.

Cheers and Stay Safe

I've looked again at the Shed Bash data, and what it shows is that C15 and C17 were on shed on Saturday July 9th 1949, but these are described as Eastleigh (ELH) engines, so visitors and not actually allocated to Dorchester. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RFS said:

I've looked again at the Shed Bash data, and what it shows is that C15 and C17 were on shed on Saturday July 9th 1949, but these are described as Eastleigh (ELH) engines, so visitors and not actually allocated to Dorchester. 

Don't you hate it when the facts get in the way of a good model railway?

Amazing research @RFS. I struggle to find locos that run south from Templecombe in the 60s.

Guest Jack Benson
17 hours ago, RFS said:

Hi,

You got me there, gosh, I had better choose my words with more care in future, thanks for stopping by.

And for everyone else following this thread, you can catch further updates Just click here

Biyee

Edited by Jack Benson
Typo corrected

• RMweb Premium
On 11/12/2020 at 20:22, RFS said:

Well that looks like it will be the end of this thread then. 

• RMweb Premium

When modelling a fictional line, if you stick to strictly historical loco movements and allocations. you'd have nothing to run, so you have to bend history a bit, while remaining reasonably plausible.  So an Eastleigh Q1 seen at Dorchester may well have passed through Beaminster Road.

• Agree 4

Here is the photo showing a Q1 shunting at Dorchester.  My memory is at fault as the notes on the back of the card do not record the number of the engine but it clearly is a 'Charlie' at Dorchester!  The notes do advise that the photo was taken 1949/50.  The very tall signal beyond the engine shed is rather fine. 

Whilst searching I also found the other view of a Charlie this time at Worgret Junction near Wareham and she clearly has the road for Dorchester rather than Swanage.  This would have been taken a little later say 1951/52 and again the engine number is unrecorded. I hope these are of help/interest.

Gerry

20201215_165137 (2).jpg

20201215_165214 (2).jpg

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

I hope these are of help/interest.

Great looking locos. I have not taken much notice of these before, but you can see they were built to last with I presume standard parts, simple running gear and a huge tender. A real workhorse.

Great photos thanks for posting them.

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/12/2020 at 20:22, RFS said:

In fairness Jack said 'noted' which means what it says on the tin, noted has never in my knowledge meant allocated. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

In fairness Jack said 'noted' which means what it says on the tin, noted has never in my knowledge meant allocated. 

I think he has a short while ago edited the post, since it did originally say "allocated" which is why I replied as I did.....:)

Guest Jack Benson
1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

Hi Duncan, 

Thanks for the comment, the comment about Dorchester originated as a copy and paste from our group’s blog,  you are correct. Unfortunately, I forgot to upload a link to the blog but a recent edit to insert a link to the group’s blog has corrected that mistake. The blog features some third party images that are precluded from being uploaded onto RMweb.

Further updates to the narrative can be found here on the group’s blog. 

Hopefully, no further comment will be wasted over this trivial pedantry. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Charlie Roberts wagons were a bit of a disaster, which is why they disappeared quite quickly. The problem was the sloping sides, which had the ability to have a wedge shape of wet coal slack stay clinging to them when they were tipped, and this was far more pronounced than on a wagon with vertical sides.. This would enable a theoretically empty wagon to have an appreciable weight just on one side of the body, giving them a proneness to derail.

• Informative/Useful 2

Quite right - I am more than happy to use good RTR models to make up the numbers.   In an ideal world everything would be scratch or kit built so that I got exactly what I wanted but realistically I don't have enough years left to achieve a decent amount of stock.  Probably the greatest boon to my GWR based project is the release by Hornby of good, accurate and well finished coaches.  The Hawksworths were excellent - although they were thin on the ground in GWR days - but the Collett Bow-enders are just fantastic and enable some decent trains to be created with much less effort.

I have a couple of the Bachmann slope sided mineral wagons as they are so evocative of the post-war period.  Both are in Bauxite and one is marked MWT - Ministry of War Transport - whilst the other is MOT - Ministry of Transport.  Apparently the MWT became the MOT in 1946 - at least, that's what the internet tells me!

Gerry

• Like 1