Building a Southern Region layout

Tim Hale

Guest Jack Benson

spacer.png

Some 10+years ago, I was a proud owner of an exLSWR 700 by OO Works (see above), unfortunately when the Hornby model arrived, I made the mistake of selling the OO Works version.  Last night after a weekend of selling books and surplus locos (including the Hornby 700), I was browsing eBay when I spotted one of my favourite models - an exLSWR 700 from OO Works

It wasn’t there this morning

spacer.png

But it should be here by the weekend....:)

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2021 at 19:42, Jack Benson said:

Here is 30331 in the early ‘50s at Yeovil Junction on an Exeter bound turn. They are rather handsome machines and perfectly adequate.

Hi Jack,

Completely agree with you regarding DJH, they really do go the extra mile and when you chat to them, so friendly and helpful.

You probably know this, but 30331 is very different from the ten H15's built by Maunsell although they do, at first glance seem the same. Different boilers, different wheelbase and in the early 1950s different tenders. Your 521 looks good and I agree, it does make a change from all those S15s and N15s.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Guest Jack Benson

Mission improbable

Clearing the bookshelves revealed the 'lost' T9 hiding amongst the spider's webs, it is a very old SEF kit with a few bits missing. I wonder if it can be salvaged and paired with a 6W tender?

spacer.png

An etched SEF chassis will arrive soon, I have some wheels, axles, crankins somewhere and a better* tender. It will be painted plain black with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender, a rather special T9.

The total cost will be a joke in comparison to the Hornby model BUT it will not suffer from mazak failure and it will be the final loco of an all-metal collection.

*The redundant tender that was once paired to the BEC D15 built by DLT

StaySafe

1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

Mission improbable

Clearing the bookshelves revealed the 'lost' T9 hiding amongst the spider's webs, it is a very old SEF kit with a few bits missing. I wonder if it can be salvaged and paired with a 6W tender?

spacer.png

An etched SEF chassis will arrive soon, I have some wheels, axles, crankins somewhere and a better* tender. It will be painted plain black with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender, a rather special T9.

The total cost will be a joke in comparison to the Hornby model BUT it will not suffer from mazak failure and it will be the final loco of an all-metal collection.

*The redundant tender that was once paired to the BEC D15 built by DLT

StaySafe

Did you get your SEF chassis from Squires? They keep telling me they are out of stock.

Guest Jack Benson
On 06/09/2021 at 13:22, Denbridge said:

Did you get your SEF chassis from Squires? They keep telling me they are out of stock.

Direct from Squires but the T9 chassis is eight weeks away at least, most other bits were sourced from Wizard Models.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

spacer.png

The newly acquired 700 from OO Works looks rather purposeful, it has 'heft' and this is important in a locomotive. It will have a decoder as soon as possible so that it can earn its keep.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,  it is Sunday morning in tidy shed,

spacer.png

A year or so ago, a list of locos for the layout was posted with the intention of building or acquiring them, thankfully fate was kind and the list has now been updated with images of the models.

Locomotives of Beaminster Road - models and prototypes

However the real kindness was those who stepped up and made it possible, I merely procured the bits.

Enjoy the pictures

Stay Safe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

There will always be one more time situations, except for me time is not my friend. The ancient Wills T9 that was my father’s final task went missing some years ago but only emerged, covered in spider’s webs when the bookshelf was being cleared (in anticipation of my departure) 

I had promised myself to complete it and it has the final task. This is a link to the first part of the task, a couple of SEF etched chassis have been sourced (thanks to RMweb) and further updates may appear.

Stay safe

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Normally I rely on The Book of the T9 for images and info about particular locos but someone has just sent an image of 30338. A rather handsome loco, the wide cab and watercart compliment each other, the intention to use rather archaic locos seems to have worked.

Morning Jack,

Agree with your sentiments.

Couldn't resist an image of two of my 30338, one of the few wide cab loco's that had the larger tender. Judging by the images that survive, 338 spent a lot of time in the SW on the Padstow services which might explain the larger tender.

I bought a bag of parts from Alton Model Shop, perhaps ten years ago now, that started life as a Wills T9 kit. It was one of my very first kit builds and it shows! The cab lining radii are very wrong!

Should have dusted her off before the pictures taken!

1257977389_IMG_6735(2).JPG.4a936689354b9a0f9992e79cfa330b6e.JPG

1360998278_IMG_6737(2).JPG.4c955040a2244d0cd8a30bb0eff159ee.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

1CC7BFD7-2F3D-441B-8344-1C516FBBAA79.jpeg.c3fcf15201f4f6df94652de7cea1bd22.jpeg

No idea of the provenance of this image, believed to be Nine Elms in the early ‘50s

The same photo appears on Wikipedia, dated 1958 and credited to Ben Brooksbank - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSWR_T9_class#/media/File:Nine_Elms_Locomotive_Depot_ex-LSW_'Greyhound'_4-4-0_geograph-2682248-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Can you help? What is the size of the cabside numbers? 

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the comment.

The cabside numbers are just a tad under 3mm high so 8" high on prototype - I can't remember the size range of BR numbers?

Kind regards,

Richard B

Some lovely T9 content on this page! 30704 in unlined black with Southern tender is very elegant indeed.

30707 was a good choice, many photos of it around the Poole / Bournemouth area in the early 50s.

And 30338 feels like something of a celebrity to me. Shedded 70A and then subsequently 72A, so it appears on Waterloo-Southampton semis as well as ambling Padstow services. There’s something funny about seeing the same engine amongst the smog and the office blocks at Waterloo and then mere months later right at the other end of the LSWR. They often feel like different railway ‘worlds’ so 338 seems like something of a bridge between them. Mine is the Hornby model renumbered from 30310, with a single disk for the Waterloo-Southampton route.

Adam

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson
On 27/09/2021 at 12:55, 30368 said:

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the comment.

The cabside numbers are just a tad under 3mm high so 8" high on prototype - I can't remember the size range of BR numbers?

Kind regards,

Richard B

Amazing, Modelmasters have supplied an individual set of cabside numbers for 30338 within three days of placing the order, whilst Brian M of 247 is sending the smokebox door etch….!

Meanwhile, the last of the last T9s is in the process of coming back to life, I won’t post it here because I suspect that would duplicate Steve’s efforts.

This really does bring loco building/buying to an end for Beaminster Road, time is running out and I am satisfied with the small collection.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

My apologies for posting a link from the Smug Mug site but it is remarkable for the comparison of 4-4-0s on the Southern in just one generation, the only common feature is the wheel size.

T9 and V class at Bournemouth in the late ‘30s

It also helps to illustrate why Beaminster Road is populated by locos of the T9 generation with just one notable exception, the H15 which is included as an example of progress on the LSWR in just twenty years. Small locos seem to suit a small layout and Beaminster Road is not exception. 

Thank you and StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

This old Crownline Q1 looks to be rather suitable, it is a nicely built of etched construction with an RG4 motordrive.

spacer.png

spacer.png 

Worth a punt? Q1s strayed westward, a couple were noted at Dorchester in the late '40s, Gerry Beale uploaded a couple of images of them nearby, if the D&E had existed, then why not?

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago I built a loco shed layout summarising that a shed would be built at the foot of the banks (bit like shap) the allocation including Std 4 4-6-0 and a couple of 9f  as well as 82000 for banking duties 

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Having considered the gradient profile of the D&E, the eastward climb to Dorchester would have been challenging rising some 200’ from Bridport whilst the westward climb out of Bridport towards Broadoak and the Marshwood Vale would have been equally difficult. Perhaps justification for a helper allocated to Dorchester 71C, maybe a couple of Charlies in the late ‘40s-early ‘50s?

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium

If the D&E had existed, it's quite possible that a munitions depot, probably Naval, would have been established in the chalk hills west of Dorchester.  This would still be in use c1948-50 and generate/receive traffic that could justify the use of a Q1.

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson
51 minutes ago, petethemole said:

If the D&E had existed, it's quite possible that a munitions depot, probably Naval, would have been established in the chalk hills west of Dorchester.  This would still be in use c1948-50 and generate/receive traffic that could justify the use of a Q1.

RNAD Broadoak? Sufficiently remote to make road access difficult and the locals would have welcomed the employment. I might purloin the idea as my own, thank you.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

A bit more gardening duty, although there is loads more to do, no garden is finished until it is absolutely crammed full of plants. 

spacer.png

Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

Well, was it worth a punt? I think the answer is an emphatic YES.

spacer.png

The other side is even better!

spacer.png

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson