Building a Southern Region layout

Tim Hale

• RMweb Gold

Tim-"Railway Records in the Dorset Record Office" (an indispensable publication if ever there was one!)page 44 mentions the "Beaminster Railway" running from Crewkerne to Beaminster.1864 plan and book of reference under ref QDP(M):R3/80.Hope this helps.

And still available: http://www.dorsetforyou.com/391522

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_0082_1600.jpg

After a short break, work can be rejoined.

Placing the buildings in their respective location to judge whether the 'whole' looks reasonably similar to a typical small station on the Yeovil-Exeter line, do they still look 'harmonious'?

The goods yard is appropriately small, as with other locations it can only be entered in one direction and there is no 'proper' goods shed so a Provender store and a corrugated lock-up must suffice.

The image may look unfinished but I have two months* to apply three packets of Heki static grass and produce about twenty various trees to complete the scene. The station at Seaton Junction still provides the majority of the inspiration but I keep returning to my pictures of Hursley - how did Martyn get some much into such a small space?

Soon, running can recommence and a U-class is eagerly awaited to take over from the interloper in the platform.

Tim

*Hopefully the layout will be ready for an open day over the Christmas break.

Edited by Tim Hale
  • Like 12

Guest oldlugger

Very nice work as always Tim; the layout really is starting to take shape and reminds me of my once long time local station, Crewkerne. I travelled the Waterloo to Exeter line very frequently in both directions and know the route so well.

All the best

Simon

• Like 1

It all looks pretty harmonious to me and captures the look of line very well indeed.

The only passing concern I briefly had was that all the "height" is currently concentrated at the front/middle of the scene, but then I don't know what plans you may have for the rear of the layout or if it ultimately matters anyway.

IMG_0083.JPG

I should'nt say too much but isn't that RTP Provender store a little beauty? The corrugated store is a Bill Jones' original, I need to paint it in faded SR green with a bit of crumbly rust at the edges.

In a week or so, the trackwork will be painted and detailed, I bought some new vegetation back from Berlin and it will transform the scene however I do like the juxtaposition of the two buildings, they just look right.

Tim

• Like 16

Thank Tim, I've been watching your progress with much interest and a good deal of envy!

You seem to have captured the look just right.

Can't wait to see Beaminster Road operational - although I think trying to run to a W of E mainline timetable might be challenging - even if you scale it down.

Good luck and keep us all informed with your inspirational efforts.

Derek

IMG_0087_1600.jpg

Not much apparent progress and yet lots of work since the last post, notably the surface of the goods yard is now a rather tactile concrete and the first sprouts of vegetation around the edges.

The geometric grid is the joints of the concrete slabs - drawn with a thick 2B pencil and subsequently textured with Heki static grass. Unfortunately no goods yards still exist on South West mainline but the closed yard at Seaton Junction had large swathes of concrete and recent trip to Germany revealed recently abandoned yards made from 7m square slabs of concrete.

To soften the effect, there will be a great deal of encroaching vegetation plus a layer of dusty gravel with a few potholes revealing the source of the gravel.

Tim

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit of a postscript - the layout should be up and running (and largely finished) by Christmas, would anyone care to see it in action during the holiday break?

Tim

Love to! (depending of course on time availability) and I should have something to run on it as well.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1

IMG_0096_1600.jpg

The GrassTech is a very useful bit of kit, a few more days of slopping on PVA and then doing the shake n'vac, it will then be just the detailing and trees.

The concrete came better than I had hoped, the photos don't do the textured finish any favours but it really is rougher than a rough thing, maybe some more weathering and cracks?

Yes, it is a Hornby Dublo footbridge.

Tim

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Rather than waste a day and considerable expense, I decided to do some modelling - you know it is the right thing to do and the layout won't be finished driving to Surrey.

IMG_0455_1600.jpg

This was the stationmaster's house in September '11, it was used as a experiment in 'Gardening for Modellers' for the SWAG April meeting in Taunton and appeared in MI2.

IMG_0463_1108.jpg

The garden looks rather bountiful and capable of providing the Stationmaster with some home grown vegetables.

IMG_0099_1600.jpg

Here is the almost finished scene, it still needs a fence, gate and other small details but the surrounding vegetation seems to happily blend with the building in its new location.

IMG_0119_2000.jpg

All the boards are 120cm x 75cm except the end boards which bridge the gap, these are 150cm x 75cm. The concrete slabs still exist at Seaton Junction.

Tim

Edited by Tim Hale
  • Like 15

IMG_0100-1600.jpg

Looking a lot more green and not so brown.

IMG_0102_1600.jpg

The wispy bit of green in the lower photo is some grass fibres that has escaped my notice.

A bit of difference in the last month?

Next job is to complete the grass, remembering not to use the B&Q PVA (it's carp) and then build fences, turnout rodding, fill in the cess, fifty trees to make and all the other fun bitsn'pieces that make a complete layout.

If everything goes well, the layout will be ready for the Open Day (check RMweb diary) between Boxing and New Year's Day

Tim

• Like 13

http://www.rmweb.co....eaton-junction/

Although by no means fully representative, Seaton Junction or rather its general appearance provides the inspiration for Beaminster Road, unfortunately having no more that 16'x10' dictates that only a very small station can be built but you can still see the visual clues.

There are other stations on the route which are equally blessed but the proximity and preservation(albeit by neglect) of Seaton Junction does help in capturing the 'atmosphere' of the Yeovil-Exeter mainline.

However it is only a pastiche and not a copy which allows a location of my choice and to omit the other essential 'Seaton Junction' features.

IMG_0104-1600.jpg

Meanwhile, the awful Ratio concrete fencing is ready for planting and weathering, it is a horrible kit. Tonight, I have to drill lots of little holes, exactly 20mm apart and 'plant' the fence.

Tim

Edited by Tim Hale
  • Like 7

IMG_0105_1600.jpg

Before we get all pedantic, the building is just plonked down to see if it fits. Of course, there is a gap at the bottom but I bet that won't be there in six weeks time.

IMG_0728_1600.jpg

Can you see the visual clues from Axminster?

Tim

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

And the goods yard is coming along nicely-

IMG_0150_1600.jpg

That is all the major swathes of grass completed - more in-fills to be done but this is the beginning of the end (or end of the beginning)

Now the trees, fences, turnout rodding etc. to be done.

Tim

Edited by Tim Hale
  • Like 15