Building a Southern Region layout

Tim Hale

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tim

Certainly loking good so far, and has a nice and spacious feel to it.

Just one question with the expanse of grass will you be just keeping with the static grass, or adding other scenice materials to it, to give additional text and colour bearing in mind that different areas, such as cuttings and fields etc vary considerably in length, colour and texture of ground cover?

• Like 1

SS20.jpg

The Wills greenhouse is a nice old model, goes together without problems except the interior is empty, rather than paint the glass white (keeps the sun off the veg) here are some pot plants for the station (and Mrs. Station Master)

IMG_0122-2000.jpg

Most are no more than 8mm high, I wish that I had included a matchhead for a comparison but they are nice.

Tim

• Like 19

Unfortunately,

there is no room for the greenhouse on Beaminster Road consequently I was contemplating using it as a replacement for the raiway cottage that I used to show when demonstrating. Otherwise it will find a home with another layout, hopefully, on RMweb or to be sold on Ebay.

Red_Valerian_wall2.jpg

Meanwhile I have to create a typical wall that has been colonised by Red Valerian*, this will be familiar to anyone who really knows West Dorset and South Somerset.

Tim

* http://www.flowers.goodpages.co.uk/index.php?page=red-valerian

Edited by Tim Hale

IMG_0112-flowers.jpg

I thought it worthwhile to crop the original image and highlight the weeds growing beneath the store. That looks better, the flowers are little blobs of static grass as described by Andy York in BRM but embellished with some yellow paint.

Tim

• Like 14

Thanks for that, might try making some. Static grass looks really good too.

No problem, I aim to help, whenever I am asked

Tim

As a postscript, I am constantly amazed by the good natured tenacity of Southern modellers who make do with so little and the quality of the excellent layouts built with such a small range of available products is simply amazing.

Hi Tim, l have been watching your progress, and it is coming together well, and really has the southern feel and look, love the attention to the small details, that really makes the layout, well done, keep the pictures coming.........

George

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A backscene to replace the photoshopped-in house walls? What a clever idea!

"It's a bit bare" - before the milkman and postman arrive, I guess it would be. :laugh:

Joking apart, I luv it. The station building looks grand. A credit to you.

• Like 1

IMG_0156.JPG

The grass tends to look rather too uniform, therefore a quick blast with Sainsgogs cheapo hairspray followed by a sprinkling of Heki winter grass with a layer of WS blended grass seems to have done the trick.

This will be applied where the bank meets the cess and the lineside vegetation would have been more parched.

Tim

• Like 12

Tim

It occurs to me that you might like this to complement Bill's main station building. It is a standard Yeovil and Exeter design, and was built a number of years ago for a loft layout of Chard Junction, and situated in Beaminster.

post-489-0-70530700-1340104646.jpg

Regards

PB

I seemed to have completely missed this post or at least responding to the kind offer, in short, I would be honoured to use such an evocative building on Beaminster Road.

Just send a pm for further contact

Tim

I seemed to have completely missed this post or at least responding to the kind offer, in short, I would be honoured to use such an evocative building on Beaminster Road.

Just send a pm for further contact

Tim

Hello Tim,

I have pm'd you. For general consumption, this shelter was scratchbuilt by a SWC member, sadly deceased, for a large size EM loft layout depicting Chard Junction in the mid 1930s. It only needs a good home.

PB

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The grass tends to look rather too uniform, therefore a quick blast with Sainsgogs cheapo hairspray followed by a sprinkling of Heki winter grass with a layer of WS blended grass seems to have done the trick.

This will be applied where the bank meets the cess and the lineside vegetation would have been more parched.

Tim

I certainly agree, as I think I hinted at earlier in this thread. I avocate the use of a number of differing materials and colours, as you have now started, to achieve the variation in texture and colours seen especially in close up. It is only when viewed from afar that colours etc tend to become more uniform. Brickwork is another classic example of this.

It's looking very nice indeed.