Building a Southern Region layout

Tim Hale

http://www.rmweb.co....eaton-junction/

Meanwhile, the awful Ratio concrete fencing is ready for planting and weathering, it is a horrible kit. Tonight, I have to drill lots of little holes, exactly 20mm apart and 'plant' the fence.

Tim

Just re read this and as I recently got the ratio kit I wanted to know what was so bad about it and any tips you could give to help me make look right first time?

Cheers

Having made a 3' section for my son's layout, I can appreciate Tim's comment. It is very difficult to build in situ, better to make it up on a flat surface 1 section at a time and let cure. It would be much easier to build if each moulding was 1 post and 1 panel.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

it's gone quiet on here, any progress Tim??

Hi ess1uk.

I came across this layout just the other day on another forum http://mrlforum.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/1870-beaminster-road-through-hardys-wessex/

Just had a butcher's and appears that the latest update was yesterday (would appear that the owner also has his own blog under the title of the layout which you'll find linked to the thread).

Hope this helps,

Jonte

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

The last entry I can see to this topic was 2012 - has there been any updates elswhere?

I moved to the area 2 years ago and live about a mile from the proposed site of Beaminster Junction. Now that I have the house sorted, I've time for modelling. I've decided to model the same site, but with a slightly larger scope - with the station being joint SR / GW and a branch northwards towards Somerton as well as south to Bridport via Broadwindsor.

I'm especially interested in the Tite station building - and if anyone knows of any models that might be adapted to suit (I'm a lousy scratch builder!)

Nick

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2012 at 19:41, Tim Hale said:

aussiebrfan wrote:

Glenn,

Just for you, I have relocated the post on these vehicles

There is a tavern in the town....

Introduced on the SR by Bulleid, the Tavern car sets were the precursor to the ubiquitous BR Mk1 catering sets.

These coaches are Comet sides on Bachmann donor vehicles built by Chris White of SR Models.

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

They are a good match for Bachmann revised BR (S) green and I have swapped the outer bogies for those with normal couplings.

Tim

Nice build but probably a little innaccurate underneath as the large Gas Cylinder was removed after they were converted to Buffets and most in 1959/60 IIRC?. Three large battery boxes and a 'bit of bluff' is what is needed down there. Still look very nice though.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• 1 year later...
Guest Jack Benson
On 23/04/2017 at 01:50, cary hill said:

Unfortunately Dr Beeching struck in April 2013  and the owner dismantled it per his blog

According to this blog, it appears that this layout has merely lain dormant since the death of his friend.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am really glad that you have had the opportunity to bring this layout back to being a work in progress as it was always something that inspired me way back. T9s eh....what a ####. However, the brand new Spam is a bit of a shock? Was it newly purchased from a dealer, or new but been in store for ages? Such a shame.  

Anyway, I have some Spams and a couple of other relevant engines for the area, that might suit and would be happy to loan them for a period until you get more stock sorted and they could/would be suitable if you do decide to go down the S &d JR route. They need a run out as my layout is developing at the speed of a snail.

ATB

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

Guest Jack Benson

Hello Phil,

The WC was a brand new Camelford, on a slow initial test it ran no more than a 50cm, suddenly the motor started to ' whirr' followed by a discernible click and the mechanism was found to be locked solid, straight back to the retailer.

Thank you for your most kind offer.

Cheers

Jack Benson

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hello Phil,

The WC was a brand new Camelford, on a slow initial test it ran no more than a 50cm, suddenly the motor started to ' whirr' followed by a discernible click and the mechanism was found to be locked solid, straight back to the retailer.

Thank you for your most kind offer.

Cheers

Jack Benson

Oh that sounds bad. However, it should get replaced. As you are probably aware there have been a load of Bulleid Pacifcs that have had problems in the past, with cracked gears .

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

It's good to see this reborn, I liked the uncrowded nature of the the first incarnation so it's good that you're going the same way. I look forward to seeing how things develop, including how the station building turns out!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

That cameo is very redolent of the sort of detailed mini-scene I recall Tim Hale creating. This layout is becoming quite seductive.

Almost 40 years ago I worked for a man who had been SM at Bailey Gate. Sadly he is no longer available for history consultations....

• Friendly/supportive 1