Tim Hale

Building a Southern Region layout

Ian,

Rather than the AD, we are disposing of the lovely exSR 40t ballast hoppers.

The engineering departmental stock will be all 4W, unfortunately no Herring can be found.

herring.jpg.cc77f790a5cb2b8480078190b84741db.jpg

Something fishy going on.

Jack

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, DLT said:

Hmmm, Meldon Quarry layout??

Dave,

Although 'done that, seen that' certainly applies. A single baseboard 'cameo' with a USA and G6 is do-able.

The mainbuilding would certainly be imposing, based on the Cornerstone Glacier Gravel works but given the over supply of Engineering Departmental stock, it is possible. 

image.jpeg.9f69e4297fa9b79c62532580e87e7f0e.jpeg

Cheers

Jack

• Like 2

Sunday morning visitors : -

IMG_1185_800.JPG.jpg.f6acf07cb4497a18bc319edd26efa18c.jpg

Richard's 35009 Shaw Savill

IMG_1183_800.JPG.jpg.94f2fe5ce6ae2175df3f862c29c6d153.jpg

IMG_1184_800.JPG.jpg.c69a758a10419c23b9e17e1abf61a1c1.jpg

And Richard's SEF G6

The workshop is currently 27 grad and the AC is running at full chat.:wacko:

Cheers

Jack

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

image.png.05a1004608cb36db3901ece3b1564a55.png

6 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Sunday morning visitors : -

Hi Jack, I've just noticed that the pony truck wheel is off! I must try out that re-railer!

Have a good break and see you soon.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Funny 1

Posted (edited)

Hi,

The AD will be away for a short(ish) break, in the meantime, the blog will bump along with 'yours truly'  trying to cope.

What's coming up?

A rebuilt Mainline 2P with loco drive and lots of new detail

Yet another engineering wagon build- a Chivers Tunney

And, of course, some more boring wagons

And whilst the AD's away, an open 'shed' day in August - watch this space.

tea-cake_500.jpg.5900c49fd10dcf32ea8a5c77359a5890.jpg

Cheers

Jack

Edited by Jack Benson
  • Like 2

On 05/07/2019 at 15:10, Jack Benson said:

Naturally, https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_sad.png

As soon as the post is complete, it needs to updated with another plain, old brown wagon, this time, another cattle wagon for Sturminster Newton's market.

This time, it was bought pre-weathered from Scott at The Weathering Works and it is beauty.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/IMG_1181_800.JPG.jpg.f93daeccc0d9e1f2b5ec8570d9d0bbd4.jpg

I've bought a few of his wagons and he has a real knack for turning even the most mediocre of models into something quite delightful. 

Thanks goes to Phil Sutters

43419.jpg.604ff417b768abc7e8fc7c4325ad3088.jpg

IMG_1187a_900.JPG.jpg.91bc6816e28966c671dcb514445820f1.jpg

Unfortunately, the Quonset hut is in the wrong place on Child Okeford and the backscene is rather bare, but it was Phil's image that inspired our attempt to create a scene.

Thanks to JZ for re-numbering the 3F.

Cheers

Jack

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Still waiting on the etched smokebox door plates then.

You MUST model that telegraph pole!!!!

Edited by JZ

12 minutes ago, JZ said:

Still waiting on the etched smokebox door plates then.

You MUST model that telegraph pole!!!!

Still waiting to hear from Narrow Planet, I think that the next run of plates is due soon.

And yes, that pole (and the tree) is a must-do

Cheers

Jack

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Thanks goes to Phil Sutters

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/43419.jpg.604ff417b768abc7e8fc7c4325ad3088.jpg

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/IMG_1187a_900.JPG.jpg.91bc6816e28966c671dcb514445820f1.jpg

Unfortunately, the Quonset hut is in the wrong place on Child Okeford and the backscene is rather bare, but it was Phil's image that inspired our attempt to create a scene.

Thanks to JZ for re-numbering the 3F.

Cheers

Jack

Good to see your interpretation of Dad's photo. It's a pity your location doesn't allow Glastonbury Tor to lurk in the background. If his five photos of Goods on the SDJR would be appreciated in that album, let me know who to email them to and I will send them. Don't forget that there are several goods trains in the Newman Family Tree website.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

2P or not 2P

The Hornby 2P has finally returned, gone are the football sized handrails and weird boiler fittings. Instead new dome and tall Midland chimney as carried by the final fifteen built by the LMS, other improvements are correct number, loco crew and AG bogie wheels. Maybe some dummy front frames would be useful and a tablet catcher?

IMG_1193a.JPG.jpg.df763e2ed4944b390223698f1bd5283a.jpg

The big difference is the running characteristics, which are rather good.

Cheers

Jack

Edited by Jack Benson
Loco crew image
  • Like 8

Here’s my take on SDJR 2P 40564, weathered,  based on a picture in  S&D in Colour on shed at Templecombe.

Started life as a Hornby R3459TTS sound fitted 2P.  

Lamp Irons and  LMS ModelU lamps waiting to fit ready for appearance on the Bournemouth West layout Templecombe service.

40564-1.jpg

40564-2.jpg

40564-3.jpg

• Like 11

image.jpeg.20faa22150ff04ffeef16467ceb8a98c.jpeg

Just wondering if either of the trains could be replicated, the Highbridge images is particularly interesting for the inclusion of what appears to be an exLSWR vehicle, I was aware that some corridor stock had predated the arrival of Maunsell stock onto the SDJR but a single coach?

Anyway, it certainly makes a welcome change to see a 3F on passenger turns.

image.jpeg.eb5ae6fd6619aee61f33ff55409a765e.jpeg

Child Okeford may not be anyone's favourite but at least it will have some interesting trains.

Cheers

Jack

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

It will come as no surprise to friends that the AD recently travelled to Berlin for a short course of treatment. 

Unfortunately, a week ago, he was admitted with a secondary chest infection and is currently on a ventilator trying to fight the bronchitis, things do not look too good as the antibiotics have yet to make any difference. The hospital is concerned that pleurosy might take hold followed by pneumonia.

He is fighting back and still tapping away on his iPad, Linda is doing her best to cope.

This thread effectively ends here and now.

Cheers

JB

• Friendly/supportive 9

Hi,

Whilst lying about coughing and doing nothing, the AD* thought it would be a jolly wheeze to create an illustrated list of 1:76 bits and pieces useful to modellers of the SDJR. The resultant series of images had to be split into four separate posts on the Child Okeford blog. Lots of picture and minimal waffle.

Click here

WTOF09.jpg.d0e974eb01b0143fc9268c962be693e9.jpg

*Feeling better

JB

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

A trio of wagons have been either repainted or weathered. The initial release of the two vans was missed and these were originally SR versions whilst the long-suffering Shark needed appropriate weathering - all done by Mike Hitchin.

shark1.jpg.7f2b3e3b715e95be280c83230d03f0be.jpg

IMG_20190813_172318.jpg.b2fa78be803d0a086345f9be9e9b6a00.jpg

Cheers

JB

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Jack,

Thought I would post G6 update here given we are now modelling Templecombe's 30274 and not DS 682. The little 0-6-0 now runs well and is starting to look the part. One other significant difference between the two prototypes concerns the boiler. 30274 seems to have had a Drummond boiler during its BR career. This means that the safety valves are located on the top of the dome rather than on the firebox. All the pictures I have of 274 suggests the safety valves are not visible (at least from ground level pictures) since I suspect the actual dome rather than the dome cover is fairly low and the dome cover is higher so all one can see is the cut out slot on top of the dome cover to accommodate the safety valves if the actual dome was higher. Hope you follow, I'm not sure I do!

In other words I will modify a suitable dome with a slot on top!. 

I will leave the smokebox wrapper in place.

717464875_IMG_4967(2).JPG.d8418c985c832be3fffe40b47065a07e.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
error
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Richard,

Thanks for the lovely photo.

Jb

Edited by Jack Benson

Last night, the AD suffered an episode at home, quick thinking by Linda and admission to YDH resulted in a diagnosis of a heart attack.

Currently, he is in the Acute Cardiovascular Care Unit, no doubt surrounded by his family and railway magazines.

Cheers

Jack

• Friendly/supportive 11

Hi,

Following an angiogram, the 'AD ' is waiting for a bed at Bristol Royal Infirmary for urgent triple by-pass heart surgery.

We are considering the implications of loosing one of group (33%) and we hope to continue in the same direction.

Cheers

JB

• Friendly/supportive 9

Posted (edited)
On 12 April 2019 at 12:26, Oldddudders said:

That cameo is very redolent of the sort of detailed mini-scene I recall Tim Hale creating. This layout is becoming quite seductive.

Ian,

he is still awaiting transfer to Bristol Royal Infirmary for triple bypass surgery. Linda and his family send regular updates but he will not be 'up and about' for at least three months even if the surgery is successful.

In the meantime, a couple of images of his attention to the flora of Dorset, a nice wild flag.

Best wishes to everyone from the Beaminster Road Group but mostly thanks from the 'Artistic Director'

Cheers

Jack B

image.jpeg.e5d64ad9328af1d6ed0a5ea4a46154d8.jpegimage.jpeg.4496a17657dd0aa8f696b1e86b5a2122.jpeg

Edited by Jack Benson
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3