Building a Southern Region layout

Tim Hale

Guest Jack Benson
On 09/07/2021 at 23:14, chris45lsw said:

As to the 59ft sets I don't believe any were painted crimson & cream before the mid 1950s - some, at least, were not repainted until 1956 and I think some probably went straight from Southern Railway Green to Southern Region Green.

Chris KT

Hi,

Was 64’ stock built after ‘48 painted in CLC or Malachite? 

Thank you

Oldddudders:  I was speaking from memory without checking Gould or the video which I haven't viewed for ages as it's on VHS - I should have said 1946.

Basically all the 10.25" window ventilator stock was built in Malachite.  Of the 15" vent stock only the 4-sets 80-94 built for the Eastern Section were built malachite; all the rest was delivered in CL&C.

Chris KT 

• Thanks 1

Guest Jack Benson
On 12/07/2021 at 00:17, chris45lsw said:

Of the 15" vent stock only the 4-sets 80-94 built for the Eastern Section were built malachite; all the rest was delivered in CL&C.

Chris KT 

Handy to know.

The fully lined Maunsell open third will suffer the ignominy of trying to replicate wartime neglect and some gentle renumbering.

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the images of the S11 4-4-0. 30398 (loco) is now ready for painting but before doing so I posed the loco together with my L12 and D15 in front of my Basingstoke shed. Knowing how much you are keen on these latter day Drummond 4-4-0's I thought I would post a few pictures for your enjoyment. Hope all is well?

As you know, S11 and L12 are part scratch built on a T9 kit chassis, the D15 is a PDK kit.

818885389_IMG_6609(2).JPG.a1631198e7c563721922ac4d580ca760.JPG

1281513231_IMG_6616(2).JPG.b4074b1df7ad35fe77d13291298ec521.JPG

887156291_IMG_6612(2).JPG.1964ec3fbd12e7cb4582308994ad64ed.JPG

643624741_IMG_6615(2).JPG.5dcd54357cacd4311e0a1c91ec10376a.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS Just noticed, S11 not carrectly fitted to chassis in these pictures! Now in the paint shop.

Edited by 30368
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Looks great, what next a K10 or L11?

Hi Blandford,

I have not really given it much thought as yet. I have some bits left over from the LSWR Kits T9 that could be useful for one of Drummonds smaller  4-4-0s but I have an aspiration to build an original Drummond 4-6-0 probably 335 since I have a model of 30335 in Urie rebuilt guise (PDK with scratch built tender). We shall see. Thanks for the interest.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

Guest Jack Benson

These look interesting:-

spacer.png

However, I would describe them as flags or the common field iris, a dab of purple helps

spacer.png

spacer.png

And just like the real thing, these will spread all over the layout.

Guest Jack Benson

Many years ago, Ratio released some rather nice ready painted versions of their GWR Iron Mink, this is one of the most colourful - a Ferrocrete van.

spacer.png

Unfortunately, their rarity and appearance has made them rather collectable, I have never encountered a kit, just one or two overpriced examples and I admit that I bought it..........

spacer.png

Ferrocrete is a higher early strength Portland cement, the brand is currently owned by Blue Cicle. Ferrocrete is used to construct relatively thin, hard, strong surfaces and structures in many shapes such as hulls for boats, shell roofs, and water tanks. Ferrocrete originated in the 1840s in France and the Netherlands and is the origin of reinforced concrete.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Bogus but nice

This rather lovely model is due to emerge from Hattons sometime this year, it is supposed to be a pre-grouping full brake. Despite looking at every (not many) available sources, a prototype is elusive but it is cheap(ish) and would look rather nice stuck at the end of a siding, with its paintwork somewhat care and weatherworn.

spacer.png

For those would want something special, Hornby are offering a departmental vehicle, which is rather lovely, perfect for that breakdown train.

spacer.png

Just in case you need some inspiration although no 6w full brake

spacer.png

I could be mistaken but that appears to be the exLBSC brake van from Hornby

StaySafe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

Oh well, we all say things that are regretted at some stage and then something happens and…….

In this case, Jack Ps Southern thread caught my attention and a wartime black N15 looked rather appealing, moreover this fed my eccentricities of preferring black locos, in particular the Hornby N15 (possibly the greatest rtr) unfortunately no black N15s or so I thought. Except a desultory browse on Goggle revealed this:-

spacer.png

spacer.png

With an almost 50% discount at a well known Cornish outlet (not Ginsters), I don’t need an excuse for such a lovely loco as they dominated most passenger services on the Southern until the arrival of Mr Bulleid’s masterpieces. Moreover most trains on the the D&E were fairly short, unless troop specials and a three-car set with a swinger is the largest possible on the layout.

Douglas Seaton’s home movies of the Yeovil area in the late ‘40s reveals wartime N15s rushing past with 10+ and they never seem to be out of breath, always a welcome sight. Camelot will be a welcome contrast to the D15 that it replaced, what a shame that the 4-4-0 never made it to preservation.

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson
Image added

Guest Jack Benson

spacer.png

Peco LK16

An on-going list of SR Lineside Items 4mm by description and manufacturer's reference

Ratio    

Lineside Hut    518

Provender Store    513

Fogmans Hut    549

Concrete Pale Fencing    432

Concrete Wire + Post Fencing    423

Concrete Panel Fencing    429

Concrete Footbridge    517

ARP Signal Box    554

Loco Lift (Wadebridge)    545

Loading gauge    412

Engine Shed and Hut    522

Dart Castings    

SR Ground Signal and Lever    L24

SR Running In Board    L39

SR Stretcher Cabinets    L90

LSWR Swan Neck Lamps    L95

SR Platform Lamps    L97

SR Platform Supports (four different types)    L124-7

Scalelink etches

SR seats, trolleys & sack-trucks    SLSA01 

Southern Concrete sheds x 2    SLSA06

L.S.W.R. Etched Lineside Signs    WTSS07

S.D.J.R. Etched Lineside Signs    WTSS09

Wills  

Wooden Goods Yard Store    SS63

Peco    

Station Platform Shelter and Hut, Timber    LK16

Roxey Mouldings

Concrete Sand Container 

Fogman's Shelter

Will continue update as and when

5 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Oh well, we all say things that are regretted at some stage and then something happens and…….

In this case, Jack Ps Southern thread caught my attention and a wartime black N15 looked rather appealing, moreover this fed my eccentricities of preferring black locos, in particular the Hornby N15 (possibly the greatest rtr) unfortunately no black N15s or so I thought. Except a desultory browse on Goggle revealed this:-

spacer.png

spacer.png

With an almost 50% discount at a well known Cornish outlet (not Ginsters), I don’t need an excuse for such a lovely loco as they dominated most passenger services on the Southern until the arrival of Mr Bulleid’s masterpieces. Moreover most trains on the the D&E were fairly short, unless troop specials and a three-car set with a swinger is the largest possible on the layout.

Douglas Seaton’s home movies of the Yeovil area in the late ‘40s reveals wartime N15s rushing past with 10+ and they never seem to be out of breath, always a welcome sight. Camelot will be a welcome contrast to the D15 that it replaced, what a shame that the 4-4-0 never made it to preservation.

StaySafe

It's also a great shame that a Urie Arthur didn't survive as well!   And whilst its nice in black they look fantastic in the full glory of pre-war Maunsell green.

Gerry

Guest Jack Benson

This will come as no surprise to some click here

However, in the meantime, the 'big' layout continues to provide some busywork and the front garden of White Cottage is starting to bloom with field irises (pictures later) and the latest offering from KMRC waits to be unboxed. It was certainly worth the wait, the stock on the layout is finally predominantly exLSWR, this does 'set' the location but it is still the intention to replicate certain features from West Dorset into the fabric of the layout.

spacer.png

Modelling the Devon/Dorset border highlights the problem of non-native Rhododendrons amongst the lineside. Although not as prolific as further west with its more acidic soil, however they should be modelled.

spacer.png

This is Mini-Natur's attempt to replicate Rhododendrons

Thank you and Stay Safe

• RMweb Premium

Really lovely work Jack, first class.

D15 now painted and lined so given your liking of Drummonds 4-4-0's a picture:

919192031_IMG_6656(2).JPG.16df838f7919c51323016d31def1c02a.JPG

It runs really well with a Branchlines 2 stage gearbox and "big" Mashima.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Guest Jack Benson

A bit more following last Monday's post. It is almost two years to the day that the 'borrowed time' commenced and lots of positive things have happened but harsh realities need to be faced. Rather than waffle on, an update on the offsite blog explains better than I can manage on here, thanks for everything. 

We have decided for one last flourish of rash stupidity and a dash down to the Mediterranean sun (by open top car) seems a more appropriate exit than watching daytime TV, we depart in a couple of weeks for a good dose of vitamin D. It replaces the intended trek to the NRM and the NYMR, it seems Betty's is less attractive than le petit déjeuner.

This morning is being spent tidying the layout, it will remain after everything has come to a conclusion.

spacer.png

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson
Manage not mange

Guest Jack Benson

Having been told to stop 'feeling sorry for myself' it was best to retreat to the sanctity of the shed and open this morning's post - whoopee, a Geoff Kent book.

spacer.png

Hopefully, it will prove to be the spur for more bodging.

Having decided a couple of year's ago not to stop work on Beaminster Road, it has become, like the garden, somewhere to do 'busywork' and achieve something even though it goes unseen.

Spurred on by Geoff's book, a pack of rather ancient Gem 'yard taps' were snapped up on eBay, these will add the finishing touches as will the laser-cut field irises that are proving to be a bit too fiddly.

spacer.png

Some tidying and running the trains needs to be done..

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

One door opens etc. this is the start of another loco build or at least gathering the bits for the model because time really isn't on my side.

spacer.png

For those who are not instantly bowled over by the sight of yet another tiresome 4-4-0, this is 395, one of two exLSWR S11s to retain their 6w tender 'till withdrawl in '51. Here it is in Fratton, although 395 was a habitué of the far west for almost its entire career, notable for retaining the snifting valves on the smokebox, the rather attractive lipped chimney and wartime livery. I rather like the proportions.

Rather than a full scratchbuild, a Hornby 6w tender (extra pickups. DCC interface and coupling) will save some time and effort but a HighLevel motordrive in in the bits box.

OK, enough waffle, I will leave it there.

Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson
removed a redundant link

Guest Jack Benson

Sunday morning in the workshop, sometimes productive otherwise an excuse to do nothing. However this morning, very productive with the scanner, uploading drawings and images of the elusive S11 click here

spacer.png

spacer.png

There are quite a few ancillary component to acquire, ufortunately Markits seem to be unresponsive and I hope that Mark is OK and I bought some superb Drummond buffers a year or two ago, used two but cannot find the spare pair...

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

A rather handsome DJH H15 30521 was mis-described on eBay and was duly purchased, although it has not arrived from the seller, it is anticipated to be a welcome addition to the tiny stud of eclectic locos on the layout.

The featured image is not the best but have read 30368's eloquent description of H15's, it seemed too good an opportunity to miss.

spacer.png

As soon as it pitches up, there will be some more images to share.

Thank you and StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

For those that believe that the H15 spent their lives servicing the Southampton Docks traffic (which is true) they also visited Exeter on ballast workings and the occasional passenger turn on the WoE mainline. Here is 30331 in the early ‘50s at Yeovil Junction on an Exeter bound turn. They are rather handsome machines and perfectly adequate.

Thanks for your continuing interest in my waffle.

Stay Safe

spacer.png

Guest Jack Benson

spacer.png

The 'bargain' DJH H15 just arrived, the loco steps have been in the wars, one missing in action and both the rhs steps are bent. It needs a v.small decoder and the tender logo has be backdated otherwise it is good to go. A welcome change from endless Hornby N15s and S15s.

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Naturally,

As soon as I find some LN footsteps, DJH* comes to the rescue with a set of steps from their S15

*lovely helpful company.

Wow, you were lucky are DJH doing spare parts again. A couple of years ago they said they had ceased to offer the service?

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

Hi Duncan,

I simply politely asked and sent a picture of the H15, nothing more and IMHO DJH has always been a top table company.

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi Duncan,

I simply politely asked and sent a picture of the H15, nothing more and IMHO DJH has always been a top table company.

StaySafe

Hi Jack,

Very nice when you get that reaction and such quick help.

Best wishes

Duncan