Building a Southern Region layout

• RMweb Gold

In 2010, a rather nice motorcycle could be found resting against the signal box on the old Beaminster Road.

Side-Sponge1_400.jpg.b02f3117abdd5bad83736d1c08d3f997.jpg 

Although sold as a Triumph, it is an exWD BSA M20 side valve (below), unfortunately when the first Beaminster Road was demolished in 2013, the motorcycle was lost.

BSA_WD_M20_400.jpg.83c4df6fcbe76b2d4987496f2a9aa74b.jpg

Move on ten years and this delightful scene has been located. Memories of DonRs (Dispatch Rider) and David's father served as a DonR in the Royal Army Service Corps (R.A.S.C.) and as this is November, the scene will be a tribute to thier service.

uk-triumph-motorcycle-3-figures.jpg.81b3cd70c7e6a65fa0b6ba4b954b710a.jpg

Cheers and Stay Safe

Btw Side valve - side sponge

• Like 7
On 19/11/2020 at 10:43, Jack Benson said:

The next project is another nostalgic journey to attempt to recreate a plausible yard office loosely based on Axminster Gates.

axminster-gates_1.jpg.7625b74b8583e54efa7e652e0d3cef5f.jpg

This not as odd as it seems, some years ago there were a couple of redundant wooden buildings recycled, all gone either destroyed or preserved.  On order is an equally ancient Airfix yard office as the door is better placed but the windows will have to be upgraded with thin strips of white label.  The Airfix roof really needs reworking with postcard strip and a natty finial, I suppose the only salvageable parts are the wooden sides.

656670887_airfixcoalyardoffice.jpg.c5a06d5044c70b3e700605bda02a7c19.jpg

A brick damproof base is needed and it will receive the usual careworn SR green and cream finish, just waiting the kit to arrive from Pufferwillies.

This was the previous attempt at a yard office, unfortunately my ability to recreate a model to this standard departed when Parkinsons arrived.

IMG_0201_1000.jpg.0bf9139f81c23662ca09ff71929074d4.jpg

Cheers and Stay Safe

Hi Jack, 

I've been catching up on following this thread. I'm loving what you have done and as an aspiring Southern modeller myself with an interest in Wilton (South) I find it very inspiring to get on with my own layout. Your post above (This was the previous attempt at a yard office, unfortunately my ability to recreate a model to this standard departed when Parkinsons arrived.) has struck home with me as my Father had Parkinsons and I'm bothered that in time I might get it too. Just as well we can't see the future I guess.

Best wishes, stay safe,

Phil B. in Peacehaven

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2
  • RMweb Gold

One last image for the weekend, it is Colmers Hill near Symondsbury and it is chosen because the route of the proposed Dorchester and Exeter Extension of 1845 which would have passed its northern edge as it ran towards the lovely village of Whitchurch Canocorium whose station would have been 'Beaminster Road'. Just for once all these are facts rather than an alternative truth unfortunately the line was never built past the hill and it remains beautiful and majestic in this lost corner of West Dorset.

Thanks to the few who drop by to see if any progress has been made, at the moment there is a push to create a veritable coppice of hardwoods with a small group atop the hill by the old Dorset Farmers siding, a nod to Colmers Hill.

Cheers and Stay Safe

dorset.jpg.fca5db3f73d8309e5bce5e599fd0828d.jpg

• Like 9
  • RMweb Gold

The Yard Office - 2

The Airfix/Dapol CO11 Coal Yard office must date from the 1960s but it is a nice kit that fits together and depicts a wooden 'shiplap' building that are still common(ish).

These are the main components, the walls were joined over 24hrs ago to ensure that everything is square and true.

IMG_0222.jpg.6da7b15e8de77d139b3d228397a07b4b.jpg

The colour scheme will be SR green and cream using the standard colours previously used for Beaminster Road.

The roof and ridge tiles are not particularly good and might be replaced whilst the windows will be fitted by placing the frames inside the walls rather than outside.

This thread will be updated as work is progressed.

Cheers and Stay Safe

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1
On 25/11/2020 at 21:24, Jack Benson said:

The Yard Office - 2

The Airfix/Dapol CO11 Coal Yard office must date from the 1960s but it is a nice kit that fits together and depicts a wooden 'shiplap' building that are still common(ish).

These are the main components, the walls were joined over 24hrs ago to ensure that everything is square and true.

IMG_0222.jpg.6da7b15e8de77d139b3d228397a07b4b.jpg

The colour scheme will be SR green and cream using the standard colours previously used for Beaminster Road.

The roof and ridge tiles are not particularly good and might be replaced whilst the windows will be fitted by placing the frames inside the walls rather than outside.

This thread will be updated as work is progressed.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Hi Jack,

How is this building coming along. I am not familiar with this Dapol kit.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

The main components are assembled with a layer of paint on the walls, windows and door. The roof panels have been glued in place, the clumsy ridge tile strip supplied with kit is truly awful and a piece of folded thin card will be substituted.

IMG_0227_450.jpg.e53d2cc68f2d698881ea8c012e879efc.jpg

Tomorrow, the glazing and rainwater drains will be completed followed by further painting/weathering.

IMG_0230_450.jpg.824e0442fc834c68dfa9b984811e4c9c.jpg

Cheers and Stay Safe 

Edited by Jack Benson
Image added
  • Like 5
  • RMweb Gold

An odd choice, please bear with me.

My maternal grandparents lived beside the LBSCR mainline in Purley, trips to visit them lasted long enough for a trip to the ‘country’ in the Sapphire and sometime in the mid-60s that was almost always to the sea near Brighton. Except once, we visited Horsted Keyes and the saw a very  odd (to my Southern eyes) loco.

Roll on almost sixty years and my tall chimney, big dome regime of loco has resulted in a stud of 4-4-0s and 0-6-0s with not a whiff of anything even remotely younger than the ‘huge’ N class that hauls the Meldon hoppers. The introduction of the Dapol mogul is tempting as a foreign intruder on the layout and whilst trawling through a certain auction site trying to find a black’un, I discovered that Bachmann had sneakly produced this, the epitome of the genre. The excuse is simple; route learning under rule one. The only problem will be fitting a trio of footplate crew.

As soon as I saw the model, I recognised the outside cranks and huge dome from that trip to rural Sussex. I don’t think that the Earl will look out of place beside the other Edwardian locos on Beaminster Road, do you?

As usual, stay safe.

EE0FB818-EAA6-40EA-A544-4E65CA488980.jpeg.b82e3bbc96aa4791c3fb04b8ebe37960.jpeg

• Like 6
  • RMweb Gold

As remembered at Sheffield Park - the late Ben Brookbank

9017_Sheffield_Park_900.jpg.0e75fc631de1a5840eb70de44e29c3d6.jpg

As a postscript to the Earl posting, the supposed use of an Earl in the Exeter area is stretching credulity to breaking point but the helpful suggestion from Melmerby to look here did make me aware of Western classes that were associated with anywhere but Exeter.  The Earl class was very much known as a habitué of the Cambrian lines but in a fictitious existence their use might have extended to the Exeter area for use of some of the lighter lines, the excellent GWR.org website lists their allocations and some are rather surprising. 

The Earl will remain the only foreign intruder on a rather Southern layout but it will be a pleasant reminder of quietly sitting in the Sapphire on the old A22 Brighton Road.

Stay Safe

• Like 1
  • RMweb Gold

A bit of paint goes a long way, in this case, the yard office is almost complete and has been weathered with MIG Decay Wash to replicate the mould that is endemic to the West Country.

IMG_0235_400.jpg.efbb9aeaf8272e5cdf5f06c8ed12ee74.jpg

Some signage might be found and a brass kickplate but it is OK as it is. The rainwater pipe was upended and relocated, the windows fitted and glazed from the inside, finally, there is a new ridge strip. It looks neglected as it would have been in the first few years of BR when funds were almost non-existent for repair.

Cheers and stay safe

Edited by Jack Benson
Updated image
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • RMweb Gold

The layout is a modest 4,8x3m and represents a secondary cross-country station neither a mainline nor a branch. The early 50s timeframe allows both smaller pre-grouping locos and stock to be used whilst still running a relatively busy schedule. This link might better explain the concept:- Click here for more waffle

The old dairy has been repurposed as Dorset Farmers Ltd, a nod to the siding in Sherborne that is Hunt's foods, still a local company.

IMG_0240a800.jpg.6287633844dd182568bfa5414f9d979d.jpg

We lack the skills of folk like Raphael or Andy Jones, builders of Southerham and Herstmonceux, but are trying to create our little bit of Southern.

Thanks and Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson
  • Like 8
  • RMweb Gold

As previously mentioned, my maternal grandparents lived beside the LBSCR mainline in Purley, trips to visit them usually lasted long enough for a Sunday trip to the ‘country’ in the Sapphire.

sapphire.jpg.3071e62d46d31ddc409e670ac128c2d7.jpg

Although this not the actual car, it is an Armstrong Siddley Sapphire and our conveyance at weekends. As a reward for passing the 11+, one such journey was to Horsted Keynes where I discovered the Bluebell's Dukedog, just after it had arrived.

sapphire_model.jpg.813ac5d933f984a15790f1901dd837dc.jpg

This rather lumpy model is Oxford Diecast's attempt at a Sapphire but as I could never achieve anything as good, it will represent a very pleasant memory. 

Cheers and Stay Safe

• Like 10
  • RMweb Gold

One of the many joys of research is the discovery of something that you wanted to find, the enclosed image of 0395 class 30581 is just such an example.

Most images of the 0395 class were captured around Feltham at the end of their lives, possibly because some photographers of the 50s didn’t travel too far from their comfort zone (Ivo Peters etc.). It was long suspected that the Exeter area might have one or two 0-6-0s in the early 50s rather than rely on 2-6-0s and BLPs to shift their goods and 30581 at Exeter St Davids is proof. In addition, during the late 50s, at least two 700s were noted in the Exeter area, 30691 near Barnstaple and 30317 at Exeter St.Davids.  Click here for active link

30581b_1000.jpg.e58158d42430e75292276884bb31573a.jpg

30581 at Exeter St Davids on 2nd Sept 1950 - Neville Stead Collection

Finally, were you aware of Q1s west of Salisbury? Two or three were noted at Dorchester in ‘48 however because they have long been associated with the London area and home counties, they are normally considered as not moving far from the capital.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson
Updating errors in the text
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • RMweb Gold

Are you sure your reference shows a Q1 allocated to Dorchester and is not just referring to a visitor? Eastleigh had an allocation of 9 Q1s at this time. BRDatabase doesn't show any Q1s allocated to Dorchester from 1948 onwards. 

Exmouth Junction always had a stud of 700 class locos and these must have worked west of Exeter on a regular basis. Here's 30700 at Exmouth Junction in 1962.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, RFS said:

Are you sure your reference shows a Q1 allocated to Dorchester and is not just referring to a visitor? Eastleigh had an allocation of 9 Q1s at this time. BRDatabase doesn't show any Q1s allocated to Dorchester from 1948 onwards. 

Are you suggesting that the BRDatabase is correct and the ShedBash data concerning  C15 and C17 in 1948 is incorrect. 

I am merely posting a link to another website and have no responsibility for the veracity of that site.

Cheers and Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson
  • RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Are you suggesting that the BRDatabase is correct and the ShedBash data concerning  C15 and C17 in 1948 is incorrect. 

I am merely posting a link to another website and have no responsibility for the veracity of that site.

Cheers and Stay Safe

I've looked again at the Shed Bash data, and what it shows is that C15 and C17 were on shed on Saturday July 9th 1949, but these are described as Eastleigh (ELH) engines, so visitors and not actually allocated to Dorchester. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RFS said:

I've looked again at the Shed Bash data, and what it shows is that C15 and C17 were on shed on Saturday July 9th 1949, but these are described as Eastleigh (ELH) engines, so visitors and not actually allocated to Dorchester. 

Don't you hate it when the facts get in the way of a good model railway?

Amazing research @RFS. I struggle to find locos that run south from Templecombe in the 60s.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, RFS said:

Hi,

You got me there, gosh, I had better choose my words with more care in future, thanks for stopping by.

And for everyone else following this thread, you can catch further updates Just click here

Biyee

Edited by Jack Benson
Typo corrected
On 11/12/2020 at 20:22, RFS said:

Well that looks like it will be the end of this thread then. 

• Thanks 1

When modelling a fictional line, if you stick to strictly historical loco movements and allocations. you'd have nothing to run, so you have to bend history a bit, while remaining reasonably plausible.  So an Eastleigh Q1 seen at Dorchester may well have passed through Beaminster Road.

• Agree 4

Here is the photo showing a Q1 shunting at Dorchester.  My memory is at fault as the notes on the back of the card do not record the number of the engine but it clearly is a 'Charlie' at Dorchester!  The notes do advise that the photo was taken 1949/50.  The very tall signal beyond the engine shed is rather fine. 

Whilst searching I also found the other view of a Charlie this time at Worgret Junction near Wareham and she clearly has the road for Dorchester rather than Swanage.  This would have been taken a little later say 1951/52 and again the engine number is unrecorded. I hope these are of help/interest.

Gerry

20201215_165137 (2).jpg

20201215_165214 (2).jpg

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1