Building a Southern Region layout

12 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

I hope these are of help/interest.

Great looking locos. I have not taken much notice of these before, but you can see they were built to last with I presume standard parts, simple running gear and a huge tender. A real workhorse.

Great photos thanks for posting them.

Paul.

• Agree 1
On 11/12/2020 at 20:22, RFS said:

I've looked again at the Shed Bash data, and what it shows is that C15 and C17 were on shed on Saturday July 9th 1949, but these are described as Eastleigh (ELH) engines, so visitors and not actually allocated to Dorchester. 

In fairness Jack said 'noted' which means what it says on the tin, noted has never in my knowledge meant allocated. 

• Agree 1
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

In fairness Jack said 'noted' which means what it says on the tin, noted has never in my knowledge meant allocated. 

I think he has a short while ago edited the post, since it did originally say "allocated" which is why I replied as I did.....:)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

Hi Duncan, 

Thanks for the comment, the comment about Dorchester originated as a copy and paste from our group’s blog,  you are correct. Unfortunately, I forgot to upload a link to the blog but a recent edit to insert a link to the group’s blog has corrected that mistake. The blog features some third party images that are precluded from being uploaded onto RMweb.

Further updates to the narrative can be found here on the group’s blog. 

Hopefully, no further comment will be wasted over this trivial pedantry. 

• Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is 30581, the subject of the ‘last’ loco for Beaminster Road. 30581 was chosen because it is the easiest version to build from the DJH kit and because there are two good photos whilst allocated to Exeter Junction. Both images seem to show 'Southern' on the tender rather than the BR Lion.

30581_Exeter800.jpg.4b36b3057a1a556326f66bab3d0b0b78.jpg

30581a800.jpg.ec02ee399c2c233406486d0db5c8553a.jpg

The image with the train is also interesting for the second and third wagons, an exLSWR outside frame van and a timber carrying bogie bolster. I had assumed that the vans were out of general service by the 50s whilst the bolster provides a clue to the varied nature of the traffic in the West Country. For further O395 information try MRJ 33 and Nile's build of a GA resin kit or simply click on this link.

30691_Barnstaple800.jpg.dc5236a8212efa43ca92bf5f3c63bc34.jpg

The layout has another 0-6-0, a 700, 30691 was also allocated to Exeter and captured at Barnstaple (above)

Thank you and Stay Safe

• Like 6

Not only 'SOUTHERN' on the tender, but the number is in 'sunshine'. That'll add a bit of colour to it.

Edited by JZ
  • RMweb Gold

JZ, 

The ‘48-52 continuum currently in place on Beaminster Road is tolerant enough to allow the use of both early BR lion and yellow cabside numbers in addition to hybrid Southern and BR numbering schemes (see the D15 below) although the actual reason is that no lining necessary.

We now own an example of each variation of basic black livery, if only to prove that black need not be boring.

Thanks

A6821391-DDD7-4FC8-A621-F408205F01D0.png.fbb2ae885bb586cef41fc806d21cbc7a.png

Edited by Jack Benson
Wrong image
  • Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bulwell Hall seems rather keen on some RTR stock, therefore it must be worth a propaganda after all who am I to argue?

This Bachmann wagon was a bargain on RMweb, it started life as 37-452 16 ton slope sided mineral wagon in Boston Deep Sea Fishing livery.

I rather like BR16t mineral wagons but they are a tad too modern for our '48-52 continuum however the slope sided mineral was introduced by Chas Roberts and large numbers were built, initially for private owners and during WW2 for the Ministry of War Transport. BR condemned them all by 1967; Unlike other Mineral wagons of similar age very few were saved for either the engineers fleet (possibly none at all) nor for internal user fleets.

As purchased, it is a bit too new and by 1948, neglect and hard work would have taken its toll.

IMG_0319.JPG.9b54f897a271d0023c64b4ba771f442b.JPG

The end-door stripe has worn away and the underframe has received a coat of Lifecolour frame dirt #1802. Likewise, once the underframe was dry, the body received coat of frame dirt which was immediately (mostly) removed with a sheet of Sainsgog's embossed paper towel. Not wiped but gently pressed again the body to leave that odd mottled effect.

The interior received the same treatment, later some MiG rust pigment will be applied before the paint is fully dry. One down, sheds loads more to do.

Stay Safe, Stay Home and Build Something

Edited by Jack Benson
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The Charlie Roberts wagons were a bit of a disaster, which is why they disappeared quite quickly. The problem was the sloping sides, which had the ability to have a wedge shape of wet coal slack stay clinging to them when they were tipped, and this was far more pronounced than on a wagon with vertical sides.. This would enable a theoretically empty wagon to have an appreciable weight just on one side of the body, giving them a proneness to derail.

• Informative/Useful 2

Quite right - I am more than happy to use good RTR models to make up the numbers.   In an ideal world everything would be scratch or kit built so that I got exactly what I wanted but realistically I don't have enough years left to achieve a decent amount of stock.  Probably the greatest boon to my GWR based project is the release by Hornby of good, accurate and well finished coaches.  The Hawksworths were excellent - although they were thin on the ground in GWR days - but the Collett Bow-enders are just fantastic and enable some decent trains to be created with much less effort.

I have a couple of the Bachmann slope sided mineral wagons as they are so evocative of the post-war period.  Both are in Bauxite and one is marked MWT - Ministry of War Transport - whilst the other is MOT - Ministry of Transport.  Apparently the MWT became the MOT in 1946 - at least, that's what the internet tells me!

Gerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks to Graham Muspratt’s blog, an order has been placed with Rod and Rebecca at OO Works for an Adams Jubilee. This may sound a bit odd as the layout resides in a ‘48-52 loop but 629 lasted until December ‘48 at Eastleigh, shunting and the odd trip, our plausible fiction of the Dorchester & Exeter Extension can happily absorb the occasional fib.

54A17CA3-1961-4A10-9F5C-D70B05C3EBF9.jpeg.2d7763f9c9d487100359b9b914a12821.jpeg

The attraction of the Jubilee is their elegant beauty, they were contemporaries of 0395 goods and will fit right in with rest of our collection of small geriatric locos. A generic six-wheel brake in SR green is on order from Hattons, another throw back that will not look out of place.  

That’s all the news, thanks for stopping by.

StaySafe,StayHome

Edited by Jack Benson
Muspratt not Muzpratt
  • Like 8
  • RMweb Gold

Happy Memories

Returning to a pleasant past can be difficult, for some years this was our home, as English as a custard creme, it is a 30s bungalow on the south coast.

7Wren.jpg.0062dfb71a0d23cb15ff0d7aee50156a.jpg

Unfortunately images as it was have been lost but it hasn't changed that much in the past twenty five years and definitely not for the better. My grandfather's lawn has long gone and my football pitch now has a bungalow on it.

However, I like the idea of our old home on the layout and this ancient Skaledale RTP is just the ticket.

Wren1.jpg.00c025f2cf1256574469c9a7e15fb70e.jpg

Even the original Crittal windows have been captured even though it isn't quite right but it'll do. Detailing this is going to be a labour of love.

StaySafe, StayHome

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1
  • RMweb Gold

Domestic garage

This was the classis domestic garage of the 30s, not particularly large but neither was the average car of the time and this type of outbuilding was at side of our home.

garage1.jpg.8b5b7b116bf951af883848ea4e0c0c8e.jpg

Rather than a copy, perhaps a version of the building with a little more character? The Wills SS13 taxi rank hut has some nice wooden sides

wills_kits_ss11.jpg.f392f494675f833412bf0d8b7bd8c445.jpg

Whilst their SS11 domestic garage has a wooden doors and a suitably deadly asbestos roof

wills_kits_ss13.jpg.5c6535160cc6641ed64457905b7d1527.jpg

A combination should prove interesting.

Our garage was always painted Snowcem white with blue doors, no reason to change the colour scheme.

Unfortunately, during my formative years, this was inside the garage. Oh, the horror of learning to drive with 3-speed column change and a crash box......

MinxMk8.jpg.ba47e147892140f265b9d39235aeee5a.jpg

• Like 7
  • RMweb Gold

Finally,

'Something' not disimilar to this was lurking behind the garage, not so much a shed as an accident in corrugated iron. No doubt the new owners have removed it, my father could not bear to do so because it had character (and rats).

Shed1.jpg.0d9a9c12d10cdd58d41a3250f262ad29.jpg

It will be a challenge to replicate.

StaySafe

• Like 6

At the bottom of the rear garden of my Grandparents house in Southampton my Grandfather built a corrugated iron garage to house his pride and joy.  The corrugated iron was recycled sections of 'Anderson' shelters which provided only rudimentary protection.  My grandfathers pride and joy was a black Vauxhall Velox and I remember quite a few trips to Dorset in it with me perched on the front bench seat - with no seat belts!

Gerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • RMweb Gold

Alan Buttler offers what appears to be a figure of 'Pop' in his usual Sunday Express mode, this almost completes the scene of 'Barracuda' our old home by the sea.

Pop1.jpg.41349c835bd42fc18281edc2785101b2.jpg

This figure will occupy the armchair that was an intrinsic part of the 'potting shed', hairy Cairn terrier* is also essential.

This is part and parcel with railway modelling, recreating this scene will be far more personal than a random loco or indeed any other secene on the layout.

*Jenny

Edited by Jack Benson
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1
  • RMweb Gold

A few wagons have recently received some basic weathering, these two pre-war tank wagons are superb models in their own right but they needed weathering.

IMG_0328.JPG.8af8b42acad39425cc76b68d2e438791.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG.40982f303e1bc9407fba56fe1f384331.JPG

They are supposed to be trundling up the line from the Esso depot at Cattewater.

Cattewater2.jpg.2b4fc4ee6a1d39e2b919f8d689a1f27a.jpg

The Bolster C from Bachmann 33-856a is nice model of a common prototype of a exGWR Mackaw B. It just needs a little more personality, the underframe has been dry brushed with LifeColour Frame Dirt.

IMG_0336.JPG.8862df1cc85734ff51b0b024e8e51011.JPG

For the load, some hamster nibble sticks were ordered from the local pet shop, they are listed as thin willow stems, unfortunately lockdown prevents a roadtrip to the levels to cut my own, it also prevents me falling into the water.

• Like 6
  • RMweb Gold

Later this year, an Adams A12 Jubilee will appear, the lack of suitable passenger stock is a slight concern but a pair of Hornby 58’ green rebuilds are patiently waiting. However these images, whilst incorrect for the pedants, are for those who are more interested other things. Needless to add, a SR green full brake is on order from Hattons.  

6D91079B-FE43-4E02-B356-8D56590A52B4.jpeg.6c37dd9e889f2bf5b77760ac22ddd220.jpeg

E4F1670A-EE28-4119-AA80-35B3FB99F4D2.jpeg.f9e2fc9274905a592f48c58fcbe1b11b.jpeg

Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson
  • Like 5