Building a Southern Region layout

Tim Hale

Guest Jack Benson

It is odd but Southern suburban layouts seem rather elusive. Is the problem due to the number of buildings neded for such an enterprise or that BLT's are just more attractive?

I found this example: Mansion House by Stephen Grant

And there is Ian Blenkinsop's lovely South Gallions for those with rather less space.

However, I rather like the idea of a line running behind the back gardens in the leafy suburbs with lineside used car sites and back-street car repairers.

Just wondering if Beaminster Road could withstand another makeover?

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

A tree for Christmas, does that mean that it is a Christmas tree?

spacer.png

It stands 9” and a slightly taller version is coming along.

The last of the wagons will soon be finished, just need to fit Kadees and weather them. It has taken three years to build all 30+ wagons, mostly SR types from a wide variety of sources, only in the last couple of months have rarer versions from ABS, DG etc. have been found. 

StaySafe

• RMweb Gold
On 17/12/2021 at 18:14, Jack Benson said:

However, I rather like the idea of a line running behind the back gardens in the leafy suburbs with lineside used car sites and back-street car repairers.

Just wondering if Beaminster Road could withstand another makeover?

I suspect the shortage of SR suburban EMUs doesn't help. Only Bachmann's 2EPB and Hornby's 466 really qualify among current RTR units. Hornby's fine pre-war EMUs, Bils and Hals, were never used in suburban service.

And the relative lack of freight or any other loco-hauled trains limits the variety of operations. Yes, places like Chessington (the branch from Motspur Park was opened in 1939!) did have a coal yard, but it wasn't served multiple times per day. And some older stations still had goods yards into the '60s. 

Lines like the Hounslow Loop could see a steady flow of freight services to/from Feltham, just as Balham Junction to Crystal Palace would see freight trains to Norwood, both freight services including foreign power. For the latter route there would also be peak-hour ECS between Streatham Hill and London Bridge via Sydenham. 

Your scenic proposals could be very successful, but finding a plausible line and suitable stock could be a bit limiting, unless lots of EMU kit coaches are to be built and painted. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Guest Jack Benson
4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I suspect the shortage of SR suburban EMUs doesn't help.  Hornby's fine pre-war EMUs, Bils and Hals, were never used in suburban service.

And the relative lack of freight or any other loco-hauled trains limits the variety of operations. Yes, places like Chessington (the branch from Motspur Park was opened in 1939!) did have a coal yard, but it wasn't served multiple times per day. And some older stations still had goods yards into the '60s. 

Your scenic proposals could be very successful, but finding a plausible line and suitable stock could be a bit limiting, unless lots of EMU kit coaches are to be built and painted. 

Thanks,

Bils and Hals were on long distance services beyond London but within an hour of London? I can live with that, there were plenty of places beyond the suburbs that were still interesting. Finding a plausible line might be fun but never say never. It is the sprawl of outer suburban living (exWestWickham native) that I find interesting.

Wasn't there a well known layout based on the Chessington branch ?

Thanks and StaySafe

• RMweb Gold

An hour from London opens a lot more possibilities. On the SW, the further reaches of the Windsor lines, Pirbright Junc  to Alton; Brighton Line below Coulsdon; SE beyond Otford to Maidstone East, all these had Bils or Hals and no regular suburban units. 

Chessington Chalk Lane was by John Wass on here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson
3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

An hour from London opens a lot more possibilities. On the SW, the further reaches of the Windsor lines, Pirbright Junc  to Alton; Brighton Line below Coulsdon; SE beyond Otford to Maidstone East, all these had Bils or Hals and no regular suburban units. 

Chessington Chalk Lane was by John Wass on here.

Ian, thank you.

I am aware that the long distance commute is no longer a rarity, I once worked at Main Building in Whitehall from West Dorset however in the ‘50s maybe looking at the Surrey hills or towards Virginia Water might be more apt. The Reading-Redhill might have spawned a short line and the Pompey direct was electrified in the ‘30s, maybe a short feeder? 

With such a small fiddle yar, the potential is fairly limited, to a couple of infrequent pick-up goods, maybe to a MoD establishment along the line which is served by either an elderly 0-6-0 or a Q1? Cannot resist the Bil and Hal, even a M7 with P+P. In fact, to make it plausible the makeover would need to ‘double’ the line which would reduce the fiddle yard to just four tracks holding two or three emu’s and a goods. 

A LT Green AEC Regal would be rather attractive in the forecourt and the rural features of stone walls would give way to close board fencing. The major casualties would be the thatched cottage, and Dorset Farmers replaced by a brick estate tied cottage and military store respectively. 

Sounds plausible for anyone who has visited the rhododendron-clad Surrwey hills. 

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

My thanks to Ian,

It seems that re-doubling the layout is not needed if I choose wisely. There were at least two third-rail single lines, the exLBSC West Croydon-Wimbledon now Tramlink (very suburban) and the Frimley-Ash Vale stretch of the Camberly line. Both have the attractions, the latter would really suit the existing layout with only minimal and essential alterations but I do like the idea of running through South London. 

However to be realistic, the Ash Vale line was 2-Bil operated, which is where this all started and the excuse for a long siding to a military camp is very attractive.

Just need to find some guidance on adding a third rail….any recommendations, please.

StaySafe 

Guest Jack Benson

The return of an old friend

The Hornby 2P that took so much effort to rebuild has finally returned. It began life as R3315 BR 4-4-0 Class 2P, it is latest loco drive version that is DCC ready.

spacer.png

It was comprehensively rebuilt with new boiler fittings, all new handrails, better underpinnings, shortened drawbar, front coupling, tablet catcher (not yet fitted) and properly weathered.

spacer.png

Perfect for a S&DJR layout.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Hopefully 2022 will bring the return of the LSWR Models L12 kit, to mark the occasion, I have uploaded an album of images with a short history lesson. CLICK HERE

spacer.png

StaySafe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

For the last couple of months the COPD has been getting worse. Today was not good and Linda noticed early this morning that my pallor is rather grey and my lips are tinged with blue.

I suppose it is odd that I should share this but after the sudden passing of Jeremy English, it is merely a matter of what we leave behind, whether it is just memories or something more tangible. To this end, I have left a message with Ray Heard of Ilminster and hopefully my son with sort out everything.

With a number of exceptions, RMweb has been a positive experience with many thoroughly decent folk that have become friends.

Thank you and as ever StaySafe

Tim

Guest Jack Benson

Rather than leave on a sad note (if and when it happens) I am posting an image that epitomises my approach to the hobby, I have a ‘thing’ for exLSWR 4-4-0s…………:)

It is L12 30420, what else, at the end of its life on a mundane local, rolling into Fort Brockhurst on the Gosport branch in ‘49. Fort Brockhurst was just down the military road from HMS Sultan and RNAY Fleetlands.

spacer.png

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

I have a ‘thing’ for exLSWR 4-4-0s…………:)

Me too Tim, as you know. Keep your chin up and please send my regards to LInda.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

Sorry, I am using a phone and loading text and images isn’t easy.

This is Downton signal box, found on the SDJR just south of Salisbury. The model is a 3D render, it can be offered with the steps on either side, anyone interested?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Two versions, they need some refinement.

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson
Updated image

Guest Jack Benson

Whilst in an enforced period of ‘taking it easy’ I have been busy digging into the history of the SDJR in order to understand both why the line was built but more importantly what was carried on the line apart from passengers.

spacer.png

Fordingbridge on the banks of the River Avon, somewhat busier than it first appears, on the edge of the railway yard was Ashford Mill latterly used by Neave’s Baby Foods who sent canned foods around the globe. The local produce was processed, canned and dispatched by rail, the goods yard was normally home to around 40+ wagons and needed four hours of daily shunting. Tinplate and coal were consumed by the canning factory, boxes of goods departed. 

spacer.png

In addition, the Crane valley leading to Cranborne Chase sent copious amounts of watercress and soft fruits to the London and Midlands markets by rail. 

It seems that there will be considerable van traffic with a little coal traffic on the layout.

StaySafe

@Jack Benson thanks for posting the Fordingbridge picture; it certainly brings back memories. The buildings are now used by an electronics manufacturer. They kept a lot of the interior detail and there were plenty of details that referenced it's past connection to the railway.

I was one of their customers and always enjoyed meetings there.

• Like 2

Guest Jack Benson
2 hours ago, AndyB said:

@Jack Benson thanks for posting the Fordingbridge picture; it certainly brings back memories. The buildings are now used by an electronics manufacturer. They kept a lot of the interior detail and there were plenty of details that referenced it's past connection to the railway.

I was one of their customers and always enjoyed meetings there.

Andy,

A bit more information about Neave’s factory  can be found in this link.

Thank you

Thanks Jack. That was an interesting link. In my time working with corintech the building's were a real rabbit warren of staircases and high-end electronics labs. But there was still an old-world charm to many of the rooms. 

A while back you were talking about the Frimley to Ash Vale line. Coincidentally I used to live in a house almost backing on to this line near Mytchett flash. The single track line wound its way along the backs of houses and next to the canal, crossing it on a low bridge, then passing  through woodland with a small cottage tucked away between the railway and the canal, accessed only by a small footbridge. All very scenic and modeleable. 

You also mentioned a military siding to increase interest. I guess the obvious candidate would have been Keogh barracks, home to the RAMC, which backs on to the double track line between Ash Vsle and Pirbright Junction. In part of the museum there there's even a hospital railway carriage. 

And for added historical interest there was Mytchett House which hosted Rudolf Hess for a while. 

And of course to make it even more tempting there's a boat yard by the station and a tunnel to allow trains to exit the model.

• Like 3

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

The first 3D printed LH version of Downton SB in 4mm, no doubt if there is enough interest there will be a RH version.

spacer.png

Edited by Jack Benson
Better image

Guest Jack Benson

Recently there has been as much, if not more, prototype than model on this stream. Unsurprisingly, not much modelling progress has been made, just a couple of odd wagon kits combined with a harsh reduction in locos to just six (same number of train capacity in fiddle yard). At the moment the T9 has hit a bump until the electric gremlin is sorted but solved by the arrival of a Brighton Atlantic as a stop-gap. The big loco is not so extraordinary, in the late ‘40s the Pymouth-Brighton service would have run via Dorchester in charge of one of Bournemouth’s D15s from Exeter whence a Brighton loco would have taken over at Bournemouth, so why not run the Atlantic down to Exeter? This is 32421 South Foreland at Christchurch on a Bournemouth-Brighton turn in ‘55.

spacer.png

Here’s the beef, a fresh 32424, not much bigger than the D15, it need some ‘just out of repaint’ weathering. Btw, I am rather proud of it (smug is a better word), it does make a change from elderly Drummond 4-4-0s and I do have a nice CLC set of Maunsells for it.

spacer.png

StaySafe