Building a Southern Region layout

Tim Hale

5 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Recently there has been as much, if not more, prototype than model on this stream. Unsurprisingly, not much modelling progress has been made, just a couple of odd wagon kits combined with a harsh reduction in locos to just six (same number of train capacity in fiddle yard). At the moment the T9 has hit a bump until the electric gremlin is sorted but solved by the arrival of a Brighton Atlantic as a stop-gap. The big loco is not so extraordinary, in the late ‘40s the Pymouth-Brighton service would have run via Dorchester in charge of one of Bournemouth’s D15s from Exeter whence a Brighton loco would have taken over at Bournemouth, so why not run the Atlantic down to Exeter? This is 32421 South Foreland at Christchurch on a Bournemouth-Brighton turn in ‘55.

spacer.png

Here’s the beef, a fresh 32424, not much bigger than the D15, it need some ‘just out of repaint’ weathering. Btw, I am rather proud of it (smug is a better word), it does make a change from elderly Drummond 4-4-0s and I do have a nice CLC set of Maunsells for it.

spacer.png

StaySafe

Very elegant loco's.

• Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

I still hope that the T9 will return, it has fought all the way against completion with a series of  minor snags. The cause is a 50 year old compromised design rather than anything else, there have been no innovation changes other than the use of SEF’s own etched chassis, however there is a Hornby six wheel tender chosen for both its DCC interface and essential pick-ups. Fitting a V8 into Morris (don’t ask) was a doddle compared to this ongoing catastrophe. 

However

Terry Page may well be offering his L12 once more and from memory, this kit requires no major surgery and builds into a superb exLSWR 4-4-0, which is fine by me.

StaySafe

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

30466_Swanick_Ports_Bristol_150352_Cutdown.jpg

D15 30466 Swanwick 15th Mar '50 with a nice SR ground frame

This looks interesting

spacer.png

It is the Bachmann Scenecraft LSWR Ground Frame Hut - Boscarne Jnc, exclusive to KMRC, not cheap but easy to use. Unfortunately, the nameboard is not removable, some ingenuity is needed but it'll do.

StaySafe

Here is my before and after of the hut, front windows changed and has since gained a stovepipe chimney.

20191126_203615.jpg.6900dcb9a2a68c70d59a02d964bba7f9.jpg20191126_203628.jpg.83ec84ed9c86a21217083575d1a06b58.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Guest Jack Benson

My apologies for reposting this image but it is a tribute to the skill of Mike H, who transformed the Ratio kit into something rather special. The interior was my work but is all but invisible as it should be (I know it is there)

spacer.png

An ARP signal cabin may be incongruous on a layout that is supposed to be ‘untouched since construction’ but it is part of the narrative that the line was upgraded during the late ‘30s in anticipation of another conflict with additional passing loops and blocks. The old ground frame at Beaminster Road was replaced which the new box controlled the line to the junction at Forde and the military spur to Ryall camp. 

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Rather than waste the bandwidth, will a link be helpful to the site? This is the latest event on Beaminster Road, the return of six Walruses Click here

spacer.png

For the frothers amongst us, the image was created before the entire rake received Cambrian Diamond bogies, unfortunately only five sets were in stock with the final set arriving via Yodel.....Not sure whether any LBSC brake vans were used by Engineering Departments other than a six-wheeler noted at Three Bridges but I have a soft spot for these vehicles.

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Thought that you may be interested in a new supplier (new to me anyway) "Detail Matters" who are based in The Republic of Ireland. Knowing you Jack you are probably aware anyway!

I have just received a couple of their SR Ground Signals/Point Levers, not working models but fill in some extra authenticity.

IMG_7093.JPG.cba8272faeefc96ffe03445f269e4b69.JPG

IMG_7091.JPG.2c8468c289048ec6227d3ec34a0c88b3.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

Guest Jack Benson

After the weekend, the spoils of Sunday night's frolics on a certain auction website pitch up on here.

This is no exception, the only dilemma is livery, whether it is 1950 mucky black or incredibly mucky Southern lined green, the lazy option is the latter but I have just invested in a Fengda nail-bar eraser (micro-sandblaster) and after a blast and a couple of coats of black satin.......

Here is the intended victim.

spacer.png

In case anyone is wondering, why, this might be helpful, exSECR west of Salisbury it provides a plausible answer and I admit to having a 'thing' for 4-4-0s

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

As is normal, any new addition to the loco roster gets a mention on the blog in the form of a 'mini potted history' and some images, plus the usual waffle about why I must have it.

The L class is no exception CLICK HERE

This is what all the fuss is about.

spacer.png

In digging and delving, there isn't a whiff of a mention about L class being transferred or even working on South Western metals except a hint that a few were transferred to Eastleigh and Brighton almost at the end of their working lives. However images of 31777 working in and around Bournemuth in July '52 whilst still in SR/BR livery (shown on the blog) seem to undermine the accepted narrative and mentions in Nigel Bray's excellent S&DJR history, confirm that exSECR locos were appreciated by their crews as solid, reliable performers.

Naturally, my L class will find itself as a Bournemouth based loco working over the D&E to Exeter and why not?

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

As the L class is away with John at YouChoos for a decoder and stayalive, there isn’t much to offer but these are the images of 31777 out and about the Bournemouth area in ‘52. The first image is at Central station on a Portsmouth bound train.
Btw, I have a lovely film clip of a exSECR Birdcage set at the same location in about the same period hence my interest in the early transition SR/BR when there was a lot ‘not supposed to be there’ happening.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Many thanks to Duncan Chandler for this image at Broadstone, it is just about to travel over the S&DJR to Salisbury. 

Of interest, to obsessives like me, is the SR/BR livery combination in ‘52, filthy malachite with BR numbers but sunshine SOUTHERN on the tender.

Thank you and StaySafe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

A recent acquistion of a photographic collection prompted a posting on the group's blog featuring a favourite locomotive -an exLSWR Adams 0395 of 1881.

Link to the post

You may recall that DLT of this parish created a masterful 0395 from an unremarkable DJH kit, this turned out to be a joint enterprise involving Cap'n Kernow (see below).

spacer.png

Anyhew, please visit the link, the images of 30571 are worth seeing.

Finally, the lovely green L class is on its way to toboldlygo, again of this parish, I am sure that it will be worth it.

StaySafe

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

A quiet corner of a Southern loco shed, the stores hatch and included for those who like the correct detail. It is an interesting scene.

spacer.png

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

The L class has finally returned and it will be used with the three-car Maunsell set. The plain black really suits the handsome outline of the loco in contrast with the more delicate T9. Just the weathering and crew to complete the task.

StaySafe

spacer.png

spacer.png

Guest Jack Benson
15 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The loco shed pic is ace! Any idea where it is? Doesn't look like a very large depot. 

Guildford AFAIK

StaySafe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

This may not be important but a minor milestone occurred yesterday when Steve visited to watch his T9 attempt to circumnavigate the layout. The milestone was its first long run under power AND the first time that the layout has been fully used since 2019 when things all went a bit Pete Tong. 

The practical test with a train revealed that the choice of small Peco turnouts in the almost inaccessible FY was a grave error of judgement due to buffer locking, all the close magnetic couplers will be replaced with Kadee #18s. Win some, lose some.

Next up was the OOWorks L class, that also ran around, albeit impersonating a coffee grinder, but it is capable of hauling the Roco Railcleaner. In short, an impressive looking locomotive. 

spacer.png

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Herman the German looks good. I've never owned an OO Works loco, but they seem soundly made, if not always as fully detailed as oriental plastic models. 

Ian,

Think of them as a couple of steps up from Hornby Dublo - reliable, the right proportions, good runners albeit a bit noisy and filling a hole that no one else cares to fill. I have three, a K10, 700 and the L Class, they certainly benefit from either additional pickups (the K10 has a Hornby T9 tender) or a chunky stay-alive. 

StaySafe

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Ian,

Think of them as a couple of steps up from Hornby Dublo - reliable, the right proportions, good runners albeit a bit noisy and filling a hole that no one else cares to fill. I have three, a K10, 700 and the L Class, they certainly benefit from either additional pickups (the K10 has a Hornby T9 tender) or a chunky stay-alive. 

StaySafe

I too have a number of OO Works locos and I agree with your positioning of them in the market. Their later models are also a lot better than their early ones.

They give me problems when they cross from my main 'running lines' into my fiddle yard because the latter has a separate power supply and they use what I think is termed "USA wiring" which means that the loco is live on one side and the tender live on the other - so they don't like one set of wheels being on each separate supply.

I have solved this by adding loco pick-ups on the opposite side to that wired (i.e. the same side as the tender) and that seems to solve it; I'm really not sure why they don't collect from all loco wheels at least.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest Jack Benson

Oh dear,

A visit to my friend Neil, resulted in a better than normal decision to reduce the loco stud to just six locos (just six FY roads) by disposing of the two locos (Q1 and L class) and to dispose of the entire train of six 40t ballast hoppers + engineering brake.  That’s a load off my shoulders…..No intention to replace them with anything, instead I must attempt to build a Roxey coach kit even though it is way beyond my limited ability. That’s it.

A link to the the ballast train, they are going to a friend who is a Southern railwayman click here

The locos will appear on a certain auction site at around 19:00 tonight. ALREADY SOLD

StaySafe and Thanks

Edited by Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

A quite Wednesday morning testing the locos through the horror of the FY - everything ran really smoothly. It was a first outing for the exDJH 0395, seen here crossing the 'gap', unfortunately the image is a bit too artistic but it is a superb runner. 

Thanks to everyone.

spacer.png

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

After waffling about metal locos with  tall chimneys and big domes, I decided to buy a spare all-purpose loco which only requires a decoder to run, no more epic rebuilds. Naturally, I bought an N-class because my track record with Hornby is not great, too many crumbling motor mounts etc.

Here it is:-

5C06C907-F3FA-4B15-BE73-B154C862645D.jpeg.5f6f173855b950d8a22a2eb2517e6778.jpeg

Not everyone’s first choice but it is the right colour and timeframe although it might receive a BR cabside number. N’s were a universally liked loco from Kent to Cornwall, the Bachmann model does not suffer from balance issues like the 4-4-0s on the layout.

StaySafe

• RMweb Gold

Great choice. I have six of these - five of them bought secondhand on ebay a decade ago. They run reliably and fuss-free everywhere, in strong contrast to modern bijou tanks, of which I have multiple examples that are truculent at best. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guest Jack Benson

spacer.png

This might be why the newly painted M7 didn't want to run? The lower set of wheels have just received a polish with the glass-fibre pen whilst the upper set of wheels (look carefully) desperately needed attention.

spacer.png

Very clean wheels on both sides, the bogie needed cleaning as it has pick-ups. The furry particles are bits of the glass-fibre brush.

StaySafe