Building a Southern Region layout

Tim Hale

Guest Jack Benson

A bit of a silent milestone - the Bachmann N was tried on the layout for the first time with the MX616 and Tantalums, the model ran silently. This might sound rather 'so what' but this is the first loco on Beaminster Road that did not need an epic rebuild, just 10 minutes with a cross-point and it is completed. One odd fact, it has to run with default 3  as CV1 because once the Tantalums were fitted the CVs on the decoder could not be updated.

Anyhew, here it is on Beaminster Road

spacer.png

Rather pleased with the outcome but it still needs removal of the front autocoupling, some weathering and a crew.

StaySafe

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

One odd fact, it has to run with default 3  as CV1 because once the Tantalums were fitted the CVs on the decoder could not be updated.

My inclination would be to try the tantalums via a connector so that they could be removed for programming. 
Paul.

Guest Jack Benson
2 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

My inclination would be to try the tantalums via a connector so that they could be removed for programming. 
Paul.

Thankfully, only one loco is 3 BUT future upgrades to the existing stock will need some considerable thought.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Thanks to Richard B of this parish, a Roxey kit of the driving trailer for exSECR P+P set 660 is coming along rather well.

The kit does need additional bits, some are expected, wheels etc. but also details such as additional grab handles etc. the latter are rather surprising as the kit isn’t particularly cheap however no criticism of Dave H is intended, just an observation.

The original roof has been replaced with a preformed metal item from the SRG, hopefully removable to be held in place with micro-magnets.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just to reiterate, set 660 spent its career around Bexhill rather than West Dorset, however other exSECR stock moved west, why not set 660?  In this situation, beggars cannot be choosers as suitable exLSWR stock is almost* impossible to source, e.g. set 31 was a Blacksmith product which was sold with everything else when the layout was abandoned in 2013. Naturally, Blacksmith are no longer available.

spacer.png

The exSECR coach will be painted early BR crimson to match the Bachmann ‘birdcage’ compo that is the other half of the set.

StaySafe

*I didn't forget the sublime EFE gate stock set 374.Click here

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

I think the time has come to cease posting about Beaminster Road. When it began in early 2011, it was supposed to chronicle the stumbling progress of a layout in a shed, just two years later it ran into the buffers with the passing of Bill Jones, co-conspirator and friend, it was not until 2019 that there was any desire to restart.

The object of posting has never been to seek the approbation of others, instead to share the pleasure of the hobby however chronic ill-health and the recent loss of the majority of the images have had an impact to both myself and the thread respectively. 

Instead the blog of Beaminster Road will receive an occasional update.

Downton_1_600.jpg.fed20a24170c9418ea2f0700686df37f.jpg

Bill's lovely Downton

Thank you and StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

I have 3d printed body shells for sets 513/514, from memory from Rue d' Etropal (via Shapeways).

Chris KT 

That is true, the downside is that at present (perhaps to do with you know what) on the screen they are £63 each, by the time you get through to the basket they are £93 and that is before you have gone parts for bogies, interior. This may just be another way of getting to the same point. 

• 1 month later...
Guest Jack Benson

It took fourteen-odd years to build, it will take more than a couple of days to dismantle and scrap.

The lifting flap was relatively easy but a trip to the power tools department is going to be essential.

StayCool

spacer.png