Barton Street Signal Box

Hello Everyone.

Can anyone give me information on Barton Street Signal Box which was I believe in Gloucester.It was build on a metal frame over double tracks.

I have a small drawing & a very grainy photo of it but am looking for any further photos or information.

Regards.

Tony Daly.

I have also asked on RMweb if anyone knows where I can get suitable windows for this box.I am using bits from 2 old Wills signal boxes & the window sizes seem to be 22mm x 15mm approx.I am also trying to get details of the metal support structure, I have a small scale drawing but it only shows a side of view.

Hello Everyone.

Can anyone give me information on Barton Street Signal Box which was I believe in Gloucester.It was build on a metal frame over double tracks.

I have a small drawing & a very grainy photo of it but am looking for any further photos or information.

Tony,

Get a hold of a copy of "An Historical Survey of the Midland in Gloucestershire" by Peter Smith. There is a two page spread on the junction and the signal box with pretty good drawings and several pictures.

Jim.

• RMweb Gold

I have also asked on RMweb if anyone knows where I can get suitable windows for this box.I am using bits from 2 old Wills signal boxes & the window sizes seem to be 22mm x 15mm approx.I am also trying to get details of the metal support structure, I have a small scale drawing but it only shows a side of view.

Are the Modelex ones any good ? (Churchward)

• RMweb Premium

Some pics on the Old Gloucester website:

View from the road

You have to navigate through the decades; not all the photos are in the railway station

I have many happy(?) memories of trying to negotiate Barton Street having just learned to drive. Also of my father's office being moved to Eastgate while Central was being rebuilt...and the bridge between the two stations!

Tony,

Get a hold of a copy of "An Historical Survey of the Midland in Gloucestershire" by Peter Smith. There is a two page spread on the junction and the signal box with pretty good drawings and several pictures.

Jim.

Thanks Jim.I'm looking for it now.

Some pics on the Old Gloucester website:

View from the road

You have to navigate through the decades; not all the photos are in the railway station

I have many happy(?) memories of trying to negotiate Barton Street having just learned to drive. Also of my father's office being moved to Eastgate while Central was being rebuilt...and the bridge between the two stations!

Many thanks for the link. What a wonderful site with some super photos & not just the railway section. Liked the photo of Sir Edward Elgar on his way to a funeral I thinks in the 20's section.Great composer.

Are the Modelex ones any good ? (Churchward)

Got a reply back from Modelex but the windows they have are to small.It turns out that Barton St junction box is Midland in design but using non standard parts. Trust me to pick something which not a normal design just because I wanted an over track box.. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

As a matter of interest What color would th inside of the box be painted ? Would it differ from region to region ?

Also can anyone tell me the correct colors for the exterior of a MR box box and who manufacturers the paint in acrylic if possible. I know Humbrol makes paint in enamel. Is the Railmatch paint enamel or acrylic ?

Archived