Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• RMweb Premium

Waverly West.......since I seen you`re thread,you`re layout has really grabbed my attention,it`s not a Model Railway,it`s a true masterpiece,excellent modelling.....

And sharing this, and other excellent layouts freely is part of the beauty of RMWeb - many of these layouts, this one near the top of the list, are the icons of the hobby at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a frivolous thought about your realistic approach to modelling.  Will you be modelling the Hogmanay drunks that infested the platforms, the mess they made, and some 00 scale cleaners with brush and bucket?

Happy Christmas and a good new year when it comes, Dave - thanks for sharing the updates over 2014.

Regards

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year.

Waverley Bridge is actually devoid of all people at the moment, as it underwent a little refurbishment a while back and I have yet to put the people back on. It's about time I did though!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Great to hear the layout is running well, and always nice to see a few pics. The 101 looks great. Seeing your class 40 reminds me that 2 bass speakers arrived here just after Christmas. I have only had a quick look but it looks like I wll have to remove some plastic from round  where the roof fan sits. Did you do this on yours Dave?

Cheers Peter.

Are you going to Glasgow ,the layout is looking very good you are lucky to have all that natural light a happy new year to you.

Hi lms

Yep, I'll be making my annual pilgrimage there. I'll be helping out on the Newlands layout this year on the Saturday at least, so drop by and say hello if you're going,

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Great to hear the layout is running well, and always nice to see a few pics. The 101 looks great. Seeing your class 40 reminds me that 2 bass speakers arrived here just after Christmas. I have only had a quick look but it looks like I wll have to remove some plastic from round  where the roof fan sits. Did you do this on yours Dave?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes, I did. I removed all of the moulding under the fan grille to leave it more or less flat. I managed to squeeze a 20 x 40mm bass speaker in there to give a nice sound.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Peter,

Yes, I did. I removed all of the moulding under the fan grille to leave it more or less flat. I managed to squeeze a 20 x 40mm bass speaker in there to give a nice sound.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, I will let you know how I go.

Cheers Peter.

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a quick update on my recent progress.

The trackwork in both the east and west yards of the depot has now been ballasted and weathered. Ballasting on the main line is now also mostly complete and has been weathered. The main line still looks a bit bare and uniform but there is a lot of detail to come there yet, including signalling.

The main yard lamps have also been test-fitted, although judging from photographs I need to squeeze another one in on the right-hand side of the photos below.

post-7247-0-58863600-1420715498_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-25074100-1420715518_thumb.jpg

More to follow soon I hope, including some (poor quality) videos! 

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 19

Hi again folks,

Just to show you what I mean about the ECoS system, here are a few screen shots of the controller in action.

Control of the layout is divided into three screens - Waverley West and Princes St., Haymarket West Yard and Haymarket East Yard. Switching between the three screens (and other screens) is achieved by pressing icons on the touch-screen.

Here is the Waverley West screen. This screen can be used to control all the signals and points in the station and Princes St area. In practice though much of this is done automatically through route setting.

All signals, theatres and feathers (the red squares in the view below) are set to red/off in this view. It also shows the current setting of the points. The circles are routes which can just be clicked on to set a route. A route with a black dot and yellow background inside it means that the route is set.

post-7247-0-17621200-1420715961_thumb.jpg

This is the screen for Haymarket West Yard, which is the main depot area...

post-7247-0-14865600-1420716009_thumb.jpg

...and the East Yard...

post-7247-0-54762200-1420716025_thumb.jpg

And here is the main operating screen when you are just controlling trains. Lots of nice pretty pictures. I like pictures.  :yes: 

post-7247-0-54818400-1420716057_thumb.jpg

It obviously takes a bit more setting up than your average controller but the ease of operation once it is set up makes it all worthwhile. If you're reasonably comfortable with computers, then I would highly recommend the ECoS. One of the beauties of the system compared to a physical control panel is that it can be altered or added to in literally just a few clicks.

Hope that helps anyone who wanted to know more about the ECoS!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 5

Hi Dave

The Depot is coming along very nicely

Three questions...

1) can you programme/run ECoS with a Mac?

2) Does it run analogue ?

3) If not, presumably you can run it for signals and points and keep the loco driving separate?

With close to 100 locos, including a ton of legacy kit I can't afford to chip them

Tx

Peter

Hi Dave

The Depot is coming along very nicely

Three questions...

1) can you programme/run ECoS with a Mac?

3) If not, presumably you can run it for signals and points and keep the loco driving separate?

With close to 100 locos, including a ton of legacy kit I can't afford to chip them

Tx

Peter

Hi Peter,

1. You can program it with a Windows PC. That's something I intend to do in the future. Not sure about a Mac, although I don't see why not, as long as it runs whatever program you want to use. People far more knowledgeable than me on here will be able to guide you there I should think.

2. Not sure. Will have to check that. Maybe someone reading this knows?

3. Yes, you could just use it to operate signals and points. I think that arrangement would work fine actually and be very worthwhile anyway, as for me most of the advantages of the ECoS lie in the clear and easy point/signal/route setting (although operating trains with the ECoS is fun too).

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

And

Happy New Year Mr Waverley West.

The depot is looking very good indeed Sir, I do like the yard lamps. Who make those please? I need a few of those for Boxenby and yours look just perfect.

When are you planning to start on the buildings?

And a Very Happy New Year to you too, Mr Grimleygrid, Sir.

The yard lamps are made by Express Models:

http://www.expressmodels.co.uk/acatalog/WORKING_YARD_TOWER.html

I need at least one more I think. Highly recommended.

Buildings, what buildings? They're finished. Can't you see? Really, how insulting. Honestly, some people.

Soon, Alex, soon. Honest.  :jester:

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Three questions...

Peter

Hi Peter,

Browsing through the ECoS manual over lunch, I couldn't see any reference to running analogue, so it doesn't look like it will. (I stand to be corrected though!).

Cheers

Dave