Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• RMweb Premium

great work and great photography as always dave

do i spy some double-buffet action on the mk2d train? - i can see an RU with gresley bogies, what's the other one - an RB or RMB perhaps? 

just a small point - if the mk2d train is an ECML one it 'should' be the other way round - i.e. heading north you'd have loco, then TSOs/buffets/FOs/BG

good luck with your progress, must feel good to get the trains running again :)

• Like 1

do i spy some double-buffet action on the mk2d train? - i can see an RU with gresley bogies, what's the other one - an RB or RMB perhaps? 

just a small point - if the mk2d train is an ECML one it 'should' be the other way round - i.e. heading north you'd have loco, then TSOs/buffets/FOs/BG

good luck with your progress, must feel good to get the trains running again :)

You certainly have sharp eyes, keefer! Yes, I thought I'd treat my passengers to some fine dining on the first run of the Mk 2d set. It's an RMB if I remember rightly, along with the RU with the Gresley bogies as you say. I thought it would add a bit of variety. I don't think two buffets will be the norm on WW though. I'm looking to limit my Mk 2d to 1 + 7 formations, as that's the limit for my platform 11.

Thanks for the point about the set being the wrong way round. I'll have a quiet word with the depot staff about that. That won't do.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Some smashing photography Dave and a smashing layout too.

I've been meaning to read through your thread after we met briefly at the Doncaster show a year or so back, (I think it was Doncaster but may have been elsewhere, we were both talking to Brian on the Shawplan stand). Anywho, I'm going to read the thread from start to finish over the coming days and just know I won't be disappointed.

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 1

Some smashing photography Dave and a smashing layout too.

I've been meaning to read through your thread after we met briefly at the Doncaster show a year or so back, (I think it was Doncaster but may have been elsewhere, we were both talking to Brian on the Shawplan stand). Anywho, I'm going to read the thread from start to finish over the coming days and just know I won't be disappointed.

Cheers.

Sean.

Wasn't it at Glasgow, Sean? I certainly remember chatting to you and Brian. I could never forget a name like "the penguin of doom". Great stuff.

Hope you enjoy the thread!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You certainly have sharp eyes, keefer! Yes, I thought I'd treat my passengers to some fine dining on the first run of the Mk 2d set. It's an RMB if I remember rightly, along with the RU with the Gresley bogies as you say. I thought it would add a bit of variety. I don't think two buffets will be the norm on WW though. I'm looking to limit my Mk 2d to 1 + 7 formations, as that's the limit for my platform 11.

Thanks for the point about the set being the wrong way round. I'll have a quiet word with the depot staff about that. That won't do.

Cheers,

Dave

*I think* there were a few KX-edinburgh formations which were deltic+8 (with two catering vehicles), but you could easily lose a TSO for length's sake - would often be RU/RB or RU/RMB, but always with 1st class/RU at the london end as was the case with the HSTs. in place of the BG you could have a mk2d BFK

i'm not sure of the period of these formations, maybe late 70s/ v. early 80s?

longer trains could've had just an RKB (no RTR available though) or an RB

anyhoo, much more interesting for the variety, as you say

• Like 1

I've never been to the Glasgow show Dave, so definately not there.

Hmmmn, got me thinking now where it would have been. Anywho, no matter, it was good to talk and in all honesty, by it's very high standard, Waverley West is an equally memorable name and a damn good read too so far!

Cheers.

Sean.

You've got me thinking too now, Sean. I reckon it was Manchester last year?

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Lovely pictures - take me right back to my family holidays in the late 70s, the highlight of the week was a trip to Edinburgh so I could do some train spotting.

Your weathering is very nice - what paint range and what colours do you use for the diesel soot on the roof of the 27 and the 37?  And the track weathering?  They tie together so well, beautifully observed.

Also, who makes the passengers sitting in your Mk1s?  They add so much to the ambience.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1

Lovely pictures - take me right back to my family holidays in the late 70s, the highlight of the week was a trip to Edinburgh so I could do some train spotting.

Your weathering is very nice - what paint range and what colours do you use for the diesel soot on the roof of the 27 and the 37?  And the track weathering?  They tie together so well, beautifully observed.

Also, who makes the passengers sitting in your Mk1s?  They add so much to the ambience.

Many thanks for your kind words! I'm glad the layout brings back memories of Waverley for you. That's my aim. I may well have been on those same platforms back then, being choked by fumes from Deltics and Met-Camms!

I use a concoction of mainly Railmatch colours for weathering, usually a mix of Sleeper Grime, Frame Dirt, Roof Dirt and Weathered Black. I find these give me the shades I need and meet most of my needs and by using them consistently on both track and rolling stock, it gives me the consistent feel I'm looking for. The roofs are mainly roof dirt with weathered black exhaust areas. I also tend to give the roof a rub with a paper towel or something once the paint is more or less dry to give a slightly more metallic look and pick out the details.

On the body sides of locos and rolling stock, I use them as dirty washes, with the underframes and roofs sprayed using aerosols or brush-painted. I think it's important to give an impression of dirt collecting in recesses on the sides of stock. A clean door line or panel join on an otherwise weathered loco just gives the game away for me.

I use aerosols wherever possible, mainly because they're quick and easy to swap between when spraying. I then usually partly wipe the paint off afterwards, with the amount of paint removed determining how clean/dirty the loco will look, rather than how much paint I put on. Where I'm looking for a dusty/fine dirt effect, I tend to use an airbrush. I finish everything off with weathering powders of various makes and colours.

As regards the passengers, I use Preiser packs (of 48 passengers). They're not cheap, but I find I don't have time to paint them myself and I think they add a lot to coaching stock as you say.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I noticed that as well. Great to see WW progressing so quickly after your move

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dave

These photographs are astonishingly life like. As one who lives in Edinburgh, I thought you had been down at Waverley and Princes' Street Gardens, snapping away. I was persuaded they were of your layout when I saw the Deltic (last photo at post 827) apparently departing smoke/cloud free!

Excellent! John

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

Really great to see these photos as your layout is back to its best after your move. Some stunning shots and I think you have captured the blue grey stock perfectly with the right amount of weathering. Good to see the 27 too as its one of my favourite spots on your layout. I'm glad you mentioned which people you use as the coaches have that life about them that makes it all so real.

Intrigued by your next projects, keep up the good work hope all good with you and family.

Mark

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Just repeating whats already been said - some really nice pics! I especially ' warm ' to the likes of the '27' / '37' in my fav colour :boast: !  Might I ask what decals you used to re-number your blue/grey Mk 1's as I need to do the same before my next outing?

Cheers, Bill.

• Like 1