Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Cheers Peter. Yep, two 27s - 27034 and 27105. I quite fancy a third too, to model a 70s G-E push-pull. They're lovely models.

You mean a 27/2. I started a thread on these loco's a while back as I fancy doing one myself. The Airthrey Park boys have done one it's a real beast. Rumour was that Shawplan were going to do a conversion kit.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-08551600-1417074674_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

You mean a 27/2. I started a thread on these loco's a while back as I fancy doing one myself. The Airthrey Park boys have done one it's a real beast. Rumour was that Shawplan were going to do a conversion kit.

Cheers Peter.

Yes, that's the one. Nice photo! Thanks Peter.

Cheers

Dave

A bit of a crappy photo but this is the innards of Haymarket Depot sometime around 1982 you can get the feel of the grime and gloom though...

attachicon.gif27_26_Haymarketc.1982.jpg

Hope its of some use to you.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve. It certainly is of use, especially the white-painted inspection pits and the general colours, not to mention the roof structure. I don't think my floor colour is too far out. I need to paint the inspection pit walls though. 

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I am still enjoying this thread as much as when I started reading it umpty ump years ago, and I think that we are fortunate here to be following the progress on such a comprehensive basis of such a good layout.  Thanks for all the updates, Dave.

I am still enjoying this thread as much as when I started reading it umpty ump years ago, and I think that we are fortunate here to be following the progress on such a comprehensive basis of such a good layout.  Thanks for all the updates, Dave.

Thanks Stewart. That's very kind and I'm glad you're still enjoying the thread. I have many more plans in mind to follow through with yet, so hopefully you'll stick around!

It works both ways though. It's always encouraging to get positive feedback from people and I've made many friends on here too. I also spent some time yesterday going through all the incredibly useful photographs that RMWebbers have posted on this thread or given me links to and saving them and printing them out for reference. Thank you everyone! There are too many to mention individually but you know who you are!! 

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Stewart. That's very kind and I'm glad you're still enjoying the thread. I have many more plans in mind to follow through with yet, so hopefully you'll stick around!

And one of these days, I'll take you up on that invite to see the real thing as this as unless your plans have changed dramatically I doubt that I'll see it at an exhibition.  I actually was speaking to a friend and neighbour recently who is a non RM Webber but when I mentioned WW to him, responded "now that's a wonderful layout" - so your fame is spreading.  And that from a guy who has an incredible layout of exhibition standard but who doesn't share it want anybody else!

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Terry.

In the Waverley and Princes St Gardens sections, I use Woodland Scenics Fine Brown ballast. It's a bit too bright out of the jar for my needs, so I spread it out on a piece of newspaper and spray it with Railmatch Sleeper grime/Frame dirt aerosol, give it a shake and repeat and so on. That way if it gets scratched or knocked after laying it will still be a uniform colour. Hope that helps!

A technique I find very useful for dulling down scenics is to put them into an empty coffee jar and add a smidgin of poster paint - the powdered variety, then give it a good shake.

Each batch  comes out slightly differently and you must only add a tiny bit of powder each time, but when you then spread them out if you select from different batches you get a varied look. If you want uniformity, them make up a big batch!

Hi Dave

Hope all is well buddy, excellent photo mate, I like the class 27 is it...? coming out the tunnel mouth...

Great locomotive yard.... nice addition to the Waverley side of your layout.... keep up the great work mate, perhaps I will get to see it sometime....lol

Jamie

Che

Hi Dave

Hope all is well buddy, excellent photo mate, I like the class 27 is it...? coming out the tunnel mouth...

Great locomotive yard.... nice addition to the Waverley side of your layout.... keep up the great work mate, perhaps I will get to see it sometime....lol

Jamie

Cheers Jamie. I am well, thanks. Just got over a cold, but nothing unusual with that at this time of year!

Yep, it's a 27 alright.

Hi folks, 

Just thought I'd post a quick update with a few pics. Progress has been a little slower this week with Christmas fast approaching and all that entails.

Anyway, the side walls of the inspection pit have been painted white with appropriate oil streaking. I have also painted the rails along the pits. I also managed to squeeze in a session last night weathering the track around the depot. Here are some pics of the results. The oil staining along the track extends a little further out from the rails than I intended, but generally I am pretty pleased with the results and it's amazing what a difference one session can make sometimes after weeks of toiling away!

post-7247-0-53510200-1418468398_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-90083000-1418467639_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-87894000-1418467790_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-75481000-1418467808_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-07153800-1418467866_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-31194000-1418467737_thumb.jpg

Finally a quick time warp as 58050 scuttles by with Test Car 6...

post-7247-0-16166000-1418467968_thumb.jpg

The next job is to finish ballasting the main line and then weather that. Then there's ballasting of the East Yard and vegetation on the embankment on the left. I thought I might dig out the yard lamps too as I think they will make a big difference.

Too many jobs and too little time! 

Hope to be back soon with another update.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 19