Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi again all,

Thank you so much for all your kind thoughts and words once again. Each and every one of them is very much appreciated. My dad's funeral last week went well and then we had a few days away in Berwick-Upon-Tweed at a caravan site which, entirely coincidentally of course, was situated right next to the ECML. What an amazing coincidence.

Using the realtimetrains website, I was able to nip out to watch the trains go by whenever it was convenient, while trying to look as normal and casual as possible. Wish I'd had that luxury in my spotting days back in the 80s! Not to mention digital cameras too. But the trains were more interesting back then of course, so you can't have everything.   :P  :P  

In the absence of any significant modelling progress, here are a few pics of the trains passing by in a hotchpotch of liveries...

post-7247-0-24794000-1433233628_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-51357300-1433233712_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-32787300-1433233641_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-56293600-1433233700_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-92173200-1433233729_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-82229800-1433233775_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-52649300-1433233794_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-22043400-1433233908_thumb.jpg

It surprised me how many services are still being operated by HSTs, rather than 91/Mk 4 sets. I was also surprised how few freight trains ran. There were many freight train paths according to realtimetrains but most seemed to go unused and the only two freight services I saw all week were the alcan trains headed by a GBRF 66. I'm sure I must have missed quite a few but to only see two freight trains pass by in five days camped next to the ECML was quite a surprise.

Anyway, I'm back now. There is still a lot to sort out and my mum to see to and modelling time is going to be at a premium, but I'm determined to find some time whenever I can. I had a disaster with D200 after the enamel thinner-based dirty wash I used on it dissolved all the transfers. That is now well on its way to being restored and just needs reassembly really. After many years of successfully using the technique, that's the second near-disaster I've had using enamel washes on Bachmann models recently (the other being the inspection saloon), so maybe they've changed their transfer printing techniques?

There are also some DCC Concepts buffers and some new yard lamps to install and then it will be on to the depot buildings at last. 

Thank you one and all once again.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 19

Hi Dave,

I lost my father two months ago and found the model railway a welcome distraction from what life had to throw at us at the time. We found out those who claim to be carers are in some  cases not quite what they seem and make things more complicated than you need things to be at a difficult time in your life.

But again a session with a file and a drill in your hand a  bit of brass to bash relieved some of the tension and stress.

Keep up with the modelling and welcome back .   :friends:

• RMweb Premium

Thank you so much for all your kind thoughts and words once again. Each and every one of them is very much appreciated. My dad's funeral last week went well and then we had a few days away in Berwick-Upon-Tweed at a caravan site which, entirely coincidentally of course, was situated right next to the ECML.

I take it that's the huge site between the railway and the coast, the (many years ago) "Berwick Holiday Centre" ?

Growing up in the 70s/80s we must've gone there about every 2 or 3 years - each time we went back the caravans were slightly more 'mod-cons' and the entertainments a bit fancier.

I always remember if you walked north out of the site, across the golf course, you came to a stone overbridge which crossed the tracks.

Many summer evenings stood here whilst out for an evening family walk, especially if you could hear anything approaching from the station to the south.

IIRC i'd refer to anything with a nose-end as a 'chugger' for some reason - although that could've been a 37/40/55!

Definitely do remember hearing an HST starting from the station - on a calm evening, you'd hear it coming for a while before you'd see it approaching round the bend, then hang over the bridge to see it going full pelt underneath - and of course hearing the rear power car with its bright red tail lights, screaming into the distance.

I also vividly remember watching a cl.47 heading south into the station with sparks coming off the brake blocks - this was from the 'landward' side of the station yards, stood at the wooden fence.

Thanks for rekindling warm memories from my young youth dave!

condolences to yourself and your family at this time - you may find a lot of sentiment a bit overbearing at times, but rest assured it's well meant

all the best

Sorry to hear the sad news Dave....i lost my daughter a couple of years ago and was a very dark period in mine and my wife's life but i did find working on the layout to be a good way to take your mind of the worrying things in life plus it was nice to see complete strangers here on RMWEB to help me through the tough time which goes to show your never alone as there is a fantastic community here at RMWEB.

Keep your chin up mate as there is always a light at the end of the tunnel...(no pun intended).

Terry 

Hi Dave

Sorry to hear the loss of your dad, Dave, so sad for you and my deepest thoughts are with you and your family at this time.  Keep strong and chin up hey, Dave as hard as it may be to do right now.

Jamie

Thank you one and all once again. It's amazing when something like this happens how much you realise tragic events touch all our lives and we are not alone in going through them. I may not have met many of you who have posted on this thread in person (yet) but I do regard you all as friends and your messages of support have really brought that home to me.

I'm still finding it difficult to find time for modelling but I am managing to dabble occasionally. The buffer stops in the East Yard are now finished and installed. I'm having to redo the yard lights due to problems with the old lights which I thought I had successfully recycled. More on that anon I hope.

To top it all, the focus on my camera is also playing up for some very strange reason after my trip to the Farne Islands. I may even have to read the manual, it's getting that serious.

D200 is also sat frustratingly and tantalisingly on my desk just awaiting reassembly. I really must get around to finishing that off.

Hope to be back soon!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

Sorry for your loss Dave.  You may find your modelling mojo will ebb and flow in coming months - remember to do it for enjoyment, or to find peace of mind.  Your momentum will find itself, I'm sure. 

As always, great photos - inspirational!

Cheers

Scott

Sorry to hear of your loss, too, Dave.

Many years ago we spent a week's holiday with the kids at Waren Mill Caravan Park near Bamburgh in a rented caravan and kept wandering along to the mainline to see what was going on. No internet/realtimetrains then. Course on the last night there one of the kids took to vomiting over everything - so our last night was spent washing and cleaning the bedding... !

Like you I'm surprised by the number of HSTs on the ECML. I'm travelling between Edinburgh/London and return about once a month at the mo and almost all EC or VTEC trains have been HSTs rather than Class 91s and Mk4 coaches. Most of the trains I use start/terminate at Edinburgh, too. Makes you wonder what electrification was all about. Course the timetabled trains have increased and no one is building the Class 91 sets anymore.

Mal

Hi folks,

Pitstop update:

1. Autofocus problems on camera now solved. Somehow the autofocus points had been changed to a single point on the left of the field of view. Doh! Reading the manual actually worked. I might even try it again sometime.

2. Yard lamps installed in Haymarket East Yard. Ready for tidying up now. Photos to follow soon I hope.

The next two jobs on the list, after a big tidy-up, are the re-installation of the gantry signal in the station following its repair by Matt at Absolute Aspects and a little platform repair work. After that, it's on to the depot buildings (not forgetting the reassembly of D200 and the fitting of more weight in the Union of South Africa of course).

Cheers,
Dave
Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Dave, I agree that it looks too yellow in the photo, but you need to be guided by what you see with the Mk1 eyeball (as Iain Rice would say)

It is clear that you have been able to change the light colour by painting the bulb, so it's just a matter of finding the right colour. Perhaps a paler shade of yellow, or a thinned coat of what you used - perhaps your first move should be to partially clean off what you have done, and see if that works?