Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Thanks everyone for your kind feedback on the article. I hope you enjoyed it. The layout has progressed quite a bit since I wrote that!

I tried to make it into a "lessons learned" type of article, which might help others avoid some of the mistakes I made first time around and give them the courage to change things they aren't so happy with on their layout. I haven't regretted any of the changes I've made to the layout so far and the new track layout on the depot side is much more fun to operate now. I hope to write a follow-up article on the depot once it nears completion. Then it's onto a fiddle yard, and then Oban and then.... who knows....

Meanwhile, steady progress is being made with the next depot building. I have finished with the spray cans now, so it's out with the paintbrushes. The main cladding of the shed has been painted and weathered, although a bit more subtle shading is needed still I think. I have also just started on the brickwork (hence the bright colours!).

post-7247-0-34152100-1444730811_thumb.jpg

This office/storeroom structure will be lit and slots inside the little building on the left of the shed...

post-7247-0-75412700-1444730824_thumb.jpg

PS That wonky chair leg has already been sorted!

Cheers for now,
Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 10

You are becoming quite the master of depot buildings Mr WW, more very impressive work.

I am looking forward to reading the article hopefully this evening. Being totally honest Dave, I think if we all sat down and thought about our modelling and the methods/techniques used on our projects in the past, chances are we would probably all come to the conclusion that the next time things would be done differently.

As someone with a rather small OCD issue, I find that if you are not happy with something, even if it takes two or three attempts to get it right, in the end it is worthwhile taking the time and effort to get the desired result. If that means taking a different approach to get there then so be it. At the end of the day it is us the individual that needs to be happy with our modelling!

I find that hearing about other peoples experiences and approaches to projects are always very helpful indeed.

Stick some diesel plumes coming from the exhaust on these pics and I'd swear they were real

post-5078-0-25943800-1444752821.jpg

post-5078-0-08801700-1444752839.jpg

Brian

Edited by bri.s
  • Like 13

Thanks guys. Nice to know that people enjoyed the article.

Had a break from modelling last night. Did a spot of decorating instead. I managed to decorate two whole rooms in one night.

The foreman has had to stop reading his report and abandon his cup of coffee to attend to a problem on a Class 26 traction motor...

post-7247-0-88673700-1444808556_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, in the staff locker room below, the duty rosters for the week have been put up on the notice board...

post-7247-0-55156900-1444808585_thumb.jpg

Not sure how much of this detail is actually going to be visible, but never mind!

Cheers

Dave

PS These are very cruel close-ups!

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 8

Dave in find it better to take a photo without as much magnification and then crop the image.

It is a bit kinder on some the detail which cannot be seen by the naked eye butvwhichnis magnified by the camera

Not a bad idea that, Gary. Thanks. The chair in particular looks very bulky in the photos but the legs are actually quite fine and fiddly and don't look too bad in reality!

Cheers

Dave

Hi folks,

The weathered sides of the new shed are beginning to take shape...

post-7247-0-63350800-1444905260_thumb.jpg

A bit of grime needed on the brickwork next methinks but we're getting there. I'm looking forward to seeing a loco tucked inside the shed with the lights on now.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 12

Read the article very interesting and great photos but think your own on here are better seeing your creation in the mag made me buy it  latest building is looking good.

Interesting you should say that, lms. The photos in the RMWeb article are my own, but the ones they chose aren't the ones I would have chosen in many cases. Seeing the Coal Sector 26 on a 1:10 gradient was frustrating though! I'm sure they have their reasons for choosing the ones they chose.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

..i've also bought my first 'mag' in many a year on the back of your article being in it.

(Still havn't found time to turn a page yet though!)

Kev.

Hi folks,

The basic shell of the latest shed is now more or less complete, bar a little extra weathering and the fitting of downpipes...

post-7247-0-43602100-1445081908_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-58321800-1445081918_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-06709800-1445081927_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-38870600-1445081979_thumb.jpg

Now onto the little extension on the front of the building. The brickwork on this is a little different from the main building and looks like involving a lot of painting of tiny individual bricks.

Cheers

Dave 

• Like 15

Hi Dave, great work. I too bought the magazine just to see the article.

A quick question. The roof lights appear to be set below the face of the roof. How does the rain water drain from the face of the glass? I assume that it wont be a problem on the model, but is that how the prototype is built? It doesn't seem right to me...

Cheers, Neil

Hi Dave, great work. I too bought the magazine just to see the article.

A quick question. The roof lights appear to be set below the face of the roof. How does the rain water drain from the face of the glass? I assume that it wont be a problem on the model, but is that how the prototype is built? It doesn't seem right to me...

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks.

You're quite right of course about drainage on the roof lights. The windows wouldn't drain in reality and the prototype isn't quite like that. They should be much more flush with the roof, but I wanted to make sure I used a thick enough roof material to prevent any sagging. I could have put the windows just beneath the corrugated cladding I guess, but that would have got complicated and I didn't think of it at the time.  :scratchhead:

Fortunately, Waverley West is a utopia where it never rains and BR diesels of all shapes and colours reign supreme. :sungum:  

Cheers

• Like 4

Hi folks,

A quick pitstop update while I'm here. The third shed is almost finished now. The lights are working and I just need to finish the shed door and add some interior detail now. I hope to plonk it on the layout for the first time as soon as I can find the time.

Hope to be back soon with some piccies.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Looking good Dave, the depot is edging ever closer to being finished!

I wonder if the availability of locos is not quite as high as it should be?!! Causing a bit of a late stay at the office.....

Something's definitely up, Alex. He's been sat there so long, the building's been built around him...

post-7247-0-13249300-1445263633_thumb.jpg

:jester:

• Like 5