Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave

I must admit I do like that a lot. If your layout wasn't atmospheric enough that brings in yet another dimension to the realism.

Nice touch indeed.

My lad, when he does the videos for PDW, has some pretty good editing software where he can cut chunks of sound out or add bits in. Not sure what it's called as I'm not that computer savvy. But I would have thought it could be used to cut out the unwanted bits of announcements. I'll ask him later what the softwares called.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus. I'd be interested to know if there's a relatively easy way of doing it. I'd really like to cut out the references to the TOCs, although First Scotrail could just be cut to Scotrail. East coast services at the time of the recordings were run by East Coast, so that's not too jarring. I did think of constantly pressing the pause button when recording but I reckoned that would just be too fiddly.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Peter,

So sorry to hear of the demise of Waverley East. Maintaining a large layout is never easy for one person. I have had frustrating times with WW in the past. Long trains with relatively sharp curves don't help either of course and keeping rolling stock axles well lubricated is important. I've managed to reduce the problems quite a lot by switching from my old ZTC DCC system and Peco solenoid point motors to an ECoS controller and Cobolt point motors. Both are far more reliable and make for much more enjoyable running sessions these days. Generally running fixed formation trains helps too.  

Stirling would be good and I've always liked Perth station too. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you to see you back on here with a layout thread again soon!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave

it will be a wee while before it happens, but as I look out of my study window the garage is taking shape and might even be finished by Christmas!

Of course the first few months of next year will find it full of boxes from our store, but as I have an excellent chippier on site, I'm awfully tempted to have him do the baseboard construction, which means I need to get planning!

I'll still keep the thread going, but perhaps  change its name!

ATB

Peter

• Like 2

Long time admirer of this great layout without posting before.

For sound clip editing i use https://www.audacityteam.org/ . Free software and easy enough to use to cut chunks out of clips.

I would say though that the voice is far too clear for a 1980's PA system though! ;-) Possibly the bit least like the real thing on your whole layout.

Hi folks,

Just a quick update. The bad news is that my SLR (a Canon 500D) seems to have given up completely now. I think the shutter is sticking and nothing I've tried has worked. I have heard that it's an expensive fix, so I'm currently considering replacing it at some point hopefully soon. Trouble is, I've spent all my money on Bachmann Mk 2f's....

The first three 2f's are now in service, so here are some shots of them on the layout. 

Ticket checks in progress...

attachicon.gifTicket checks.jpg

attachicon.gifFull coach.jpg

A passenger enjoys a cup of coffee before settling down with the paper...

attachicon.gifA glance.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2f 4a.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2f 8.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2f 9.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2f 9a.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2f 6.jpg

To say I'm pleased with them would be a big understatement. I think maybe the lights need to be a dimmed a little, but that's an easy fix.

A couple of DBSOs have also arrived, although with some blue and grey versions, so it's on with the next batch.

Cheers for now,

Dave

apparently there's a CV setting to dim the lights. CV117 I think it was between 1-8 with factory default being 7. Its listed on the Bachmann Mk2f thread

• Like 1

With ref the DSLR. I had an email from a company up norff call Jack the Hat. They are offering a Cannon refurbished EOS 1000D kit including spare batteries with lens for £99 WWW.Jackthehat.co.uk

Keith

Dedicated Nikon user........

• RMweb Premium

Hi again folks,

I just thought I'd post a couple of sneaky shots of the new blue/grey DBSO which has now taken up its rightful place on the layout. A ScotRail one has also arrived, with a couple more DBSOs to follow.

My old Airfix conversion has finally been retired after many years of service. When I converted it, it never really occurred to me that a RTR version of it would one day be released. Over the years, I intended to improve it by fitting lights but once Bachmann announced their model, I knew the writing was on the wall for it. It's a shame in a way, because the old one was the result of hours of my modelling time, whereas the new one was just bought. There's no comparison in terms of quality though, so progress must march on.

attachicon.gifDBSO 1.jpg

attachicon.gifDBSO 2.jpg

My two push-pull rakes have now moved to the top of the queue for the fitting of lights, alongside restaurant cars and BGs to go with my new Mk 2f's. Too many projects and too little time! 

All photos of the layout are currently being taken on my phone, so depth of field and so on will not be as good as usual. Hopefully normal service will be resumed soon.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Might be a trick of the light, but the door edges look a bit odd.

Might be a trick of the light, but the door edges look a bit odd.

Interesting, StE. How? I always run a dirty wash down the door edges as I think it accentuates them and makes the door look like it opens. Otherwise, I think they just look like a plastic mould line. I try not to overdo it though.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

All looks first class as usual.

Please advise whose figures you use on WW; I am particularly taken by several of them in your last batch of pictures notably the guard out gripping, the platform staff and the chap with coffee mug and paper.  Personally I have used the cheap and cheerful HO gauge seated people from China but yours look significantly superior. It maybe that my penny pinching approach will have to change!

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, StE. How? I always run a dirty wash down the door edges as I think it accentuates them and makes the door look like it opens. Otherwise, I think they just look like a plastic mould line. I try not to overdo it though.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, on my screen they look as though they are raised up rather than being grooves.

John, there's a recess either side of the door to represent the door shuts, and either side of those - i.e. left of the left door shut and right of the right door shut, there are raised sections that represent the anti-corrosion mouldings as on all Mk2's...

Edited by Bob Reid

• RMweb Premium

John, there's a recess either side of the door to represent the door shuts, and either side of those - i.e. left of the left door shut and right of the right door shut, there are raised sections that represent the corrosion mouldings as on all Mk2's...

Thanks Bob. It must be the lighting that makes them look odd, as I originally suspected. The earlier photos of the TSOs looked fine - hence my query.

I think so John. I tried to take a photo in fairly bright light to show them as they actually are however I'm not sure it does - anyway here goes, note the recess on the lock and hinge pillar sides of the door and the raised mouldings either side.

post-6691-0-12526500-1542835008_thumb.jpg

Apologies for highjacking your topic a bit Dave.

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think so John. I tried to take a photo in fairly bright light to show them as they actually are however I'm not sure it does - anyway here goes, note the recess on the lock and hinge pillar sides of the door and the raised mouldings either side.

attachicon.gifIMG_0594.jpg

Yes, I think that what I was seeing was light reflecting from the raised mouldings to the extent that it overwhelmed the recesses.

Case closed.

attachicon.gifIMG_0594.jpg

Not at all, Bob. I've learnt something new!

Cheers

Dave

With ref the DSLR. I had an email from a company up norff call Jack the Hat. They are offering a Cannon refurbished EOS 1000D kit including spare batteries with lens for £99 WWW.Jackthehat.co.uk

Keith

Dedicated Nikon user........

Just realised that Jack the Hat are in your neck of the woods being in Maryport.

Keith 

Hi Dave, Great work on the coaches they do look very good. I think the DBSOs will sell well plenty of Scottish region Modellers have been waiting for quite some time for a decent model.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

That is truly wonderful work on the coach interiors.  I'm not surprised you have not dimmed the lights.  Why hide all that lovely detail in the usual "gloom"?

The pictures are great, as usual.

Modelling budget used up....??  There's always the "lottery" or some of your earlier "projects" could always find new homes/owners...

I did not see you at Warley this year - too busy?  I have only a couple of projects to finish for the Club layout then I can get back on track with "Carlisle".

Best regards,

Tom