Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Most of my passengers come from Preiser's range of prepainted figures. The cheapest way I have found of buying prepainted passengers is the bulk packs (particularly the seated passengers pack 14418). I think these contain around 48 people. I simply don't have time to paint them myself unfortunately.

I'm not sure where the guard came from, almost certainly from the Preiser or Bachmann range, which is where most of my staff come from. Will post it on here if I find out which range he comes from.

Here are a couple of packs I have used...

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=B36-043&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Bachmann+36-043

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PR73005&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Preiser+73005

all judiciously placed to avoid clashes between HO and OO people.

My next batch of Mk 2f's are now nearing completion. The bodies are finished and have been renumbered. They just need the end detailing packs fitting and then a bit of final weathering.

The interiors are now pretty much complete too. All coaches have their armrests painted black. The first class coaches have their antimacassars added. Newspapers and cups of coffee/tea are added to the tables and passengers placed so as to maximise their "presence" and keep their number to a minimum. Window labels are added, now including coach letters which usually seemed to be placed in an end window. 

On the outside, the roofs are sprayed Railmatch roof dirt or weathered black (mainly according to livery) and a dirty wash is added to the sides, slightly streaked. Door seams are picked out in weathered black. Finally, corridor connections are added.

attachicon.gifMk 2f 9b.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2f 9c.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2f 9d.jpg

The first class coaches will also be fitted with curtains. For these I have painted a piece of paper with streaked orange, which is how I remember the curtains, not that I spent much (any) time in 1st class.

attachicon.gifIMG_1789.JPG

The InterCity FOs presumably had a different curtain colour - dusky pink I think?

Here's another quick shot of the first batch in service...

attachicon.gifMk 2f 9e.jpg

I haven't got round to dimming the lights yet. I quite like them bright, as you can see the interior detail more clearly and they still look OK. I must experiment sometime though.

I'm planning to move straight onto another batch, including a couple of DBSOs, after these. This final batch will complete three rakes, one blue-grey, one InterCity and one mixed. And that's my modelling budget used up for the next two years or so.  :O  :O

Then it will be on to fitting lights to the BGs and restaurant buffet coaches that run with the Mk 2f's. And then the final ScotRail Mk 3, as my order from Brian at Shawplan has now arrived.

Cheers for now,

Dave

That effect is literally brilliant'! Once again you've shown the value of going that bit further with colour and little touches like the grouping of passengers and the table-top paraphernalia

Hi Dave,

Excellent work on the new coaches they look stunning so realistic and I like the tips and techniques for detailing and bringing them to life. Thanks for sharing. My train slush fund has virtually disappeared too but eBay is providing a top up!

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Premium

A lot of work ahead Dave, but knowing of your drive for realism and accuracy, I am not surprised that you will be doing this - and I am sure that the results will justify the efforts.

What a fantastic video.

I spent many hours back in the 80s trainspotting at Waverley. The west end of the station was my favoured location as I loved watching the 27s working the Dundee services.

Sadly, as I concentrated on collecting numbers, I didn't take many photos. Here is one which just shows how realistic your model is.

Thanks for sharing.

post-7898-0-75125000-1543918634_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Most of my passengers come from Preiser's range of prepainted figures. The cheapest way I have found of buying prepainted passengers is the bulk packs (particularly the seated passengers pack 14418). I think these contain around 48 people. I simply don't have time to paint them myself unfortunately.

I'm not sure where the guard came from, almost certainly from the Preiser or Bachmann range, which is where most of my staff come from. Will post it on here if I find out which range he comes from.

Here are a couple of packs I have used...

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=B36-043&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Bachmann+36-043

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PR73005&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Preiser+73005

all judiciously placed to avoid clashes between HO and OO people.

My next batch of Mk 2f's are now nearing completion. The bodies are finished and have been renumbered. They just need the end detailing packs fitting and then a bit of final weathering.

The interiors are now pretty much complete too. All coaches have their armrests painted black. The first class coaches have their antimacassars added. Newspapers and cups of coffee/tea are added to the tables and passengers placed so as to maximise their "presence" and keep their number to a minimum. Window labels are added, now including coach letters which usually seemed to be placed in an end window. 

On the outside, the roofs are sprayed Railmatch roof dirt or weathered black (mainly according to livery) and a dirty wash is added to the sides, slightly streaked. Door seams are picked out in weathered black. Finally, corridor connections are added.

attachicon.gifMk 2f 9b.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2f 9c.jpg

attachicon.gifMk 2f 9d.jpg

The first class coaches will also be fitted with curtains. For these I have painted a piece of paper with streaked orange, which is how I remember the curtains, not that I spent much (any) time in 1st class.

attachicon.gifIMG_1789.JPG

The InterCity FOs presumably had a different curtain colour - dusky pink I think?

Here's another quick shot of the first batch in service...

attachicon.gifMk 2f 9e.jpg

I haven't got round to dimming the lights yet. I quite like them bright, as you can see the interior detail more clearly and they still look OK. I must experiment sometime though.

I'm planning to move straight onto another batch, including a couple of DBSOs, after these. This final batch will complete three rakes, one blue-grey, one InterCity and one mixed. And that's my modelling budget used up for the next two years or so.  :O  :O

Then it will be on to fitting lights to the BGs and restaurant buffet coaches that run with the Mk 2f's. And then the final ScotRail Mk 3, as my order from Brian at Shawplan has now arrived.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi Dave

Great craftsmanship as expected from you Dave, its always lovely to look at your photos of your layout.

Hope you are well Dave and hope you and family have a great holiday times over the next few weeks as we are at this time of year, mate.

Have a good one Dave

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic video . As a person who was there it is extremely realistic. Just like being there in fact. I’m not a great lover of sound but the two buzzes and away sound from your dmu leaving just took me right back to my commuting days from Paisley .

Merry Christmas Dave!

Thanks Colin, you too!

Hopefully, I'll be back on here before Christmas, but in the meantime, just in case I'm not, I'd like to wish all RMWebbers a Very Merry Christmas and hope that Santa brings you all the trains you're hoping for. 

I'm hoping for (well, OK, I've ordered) a rake of FGA/FFA Freightliner wagons. I'm looking forward to those.

• Like 5

Hi Dave, I haven't had much time to catch up on RMweb recently. However, I came across this video the other day and thought of you. Apologies if you have already seen it.

Nice to see that you are still keeping busy with Waverly West, the new Mk2s look great, as does the DBSO. As you know I have always had a soft spot for the 47/7s and DBSOs, I am now even tempted to get some, not really sure how that fits my modelling project but hey!

Keep up the good work.

Merry Christmas.

• Like 7

Hi Dave

Great photos, Love the one with the three coaches, Br Blue Grey, ScotRail (Blue), BR (Red), I do like to see that mix of coaches when you get the odd coach or coaches that are different, I do it now and again with a NSE Coach in the Rake...

Hope you have had a great day with Family and Friends, and all the best for New Year to my friend...

Same goes for who Love Dave's Thread... and his iconic photos...

Regard

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Just a quick pit stop post tonight, as I've put together a quick video showing the Mk 3 E-G pushpull set, which has now been restored to six coaches following completion of the fifth Mk 3...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evqs7CZloVY

Hope to be back soon with another update.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Wonderful