Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

On 29/03/2019 at 03:06, meanach said:

Hi . I noticed your superb (as always) inspection saloon . I’ve been struggling to find an even and correct lighting kit for mine . I was wondering who’s you used please ? Cheers, Ian 

Hi Meanach,

For the inspection saloons, I've just been using some old decoders plus strips of LEDs that I originally bought for buildings that come in a roll. They're warm white LEDs from Country Scenes.

For most coaches, I'm planning to use ESU units though. I have a pack of 6 ready to fit and that will be an upcoming project shortly, so watch this space.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Dave

The new lighting makes a very big difference and I look forward to more photos ,Maude looks very nice, back in the late seventies I went on a railtour to Edinburgh.We boarded a coach and went to the back of beyond to a shed and saw Maude in the flesh plus a couple of wagons.Then we stopped at the Forth Bridge for a coffee and at the drivers suggestion bought tins of shortbread at excellernt prices turned out the café was owned by his sister! All in all a good if long day out and thought Edinburgh a lovely city.

• Like 3

On 01/04/2019 at 21:04, Waverley West said:

Hi Meanach,

For the inspection saloons, I've just been using some old decoders plus strips of LEDs that I originally bought for buildings that come in a roll. They're warm white LEDs from Country Scenes.

For most coaches, I'm planning to use ESU units though. I have a pack of 6 ready to fit and that will be an upcoming project shortly, so watch this space.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Dave

Cheers ! I will very much watch this space . I wondered about buying ESU ones myself . The pick up issue on Bachmann mk1 & 2 is a stumbling block and I can’t stand flickering lighting. I’ve tried the Digikeijs kit with in built decoder and stay alive . Whilst the programmable decoder is excellent and the stay alive works , the pick ups are not suitable for Bachmann coaches.  Another problem is that they only come in warm white which is way too white for B.R stock c 1988. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Just a quick pit stop update and an excuse to post another video. I managed to do a bit more on the new fiddle yard extension for push-pull trains today. More on that to follow. The Freightliner container train also progressed, so I hope to be back soon with another update on that and a few piccies.

In the meantime, here are some more comings and goings on Waverley West, including some footage of the new J36, which has so far escaped its call to the weathering works, but it will soon be taken out of service for detailing, light weathering and the fitting of coal in the tender and a crew, 

Hope to be back soon.

Happy modelling,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 11

22 hours ago, LongRail said:

Dave never noticed before but I see you have the correct backscene overlooking the station did you make it yourself

Hi Gary

Yes, I spent an afternoon wandering around Castle Hill photographing what I could of the view across to Princes St.

I then printed out the photographs and jiggled them around to produce the right perspectives. Once I was happy with the result, I pasted them onto a sky backscene.

It's not perfect but it is a reasonably accurate representation of Princes St., particularly the National Gallery, Jenner's and, of course, the Scott Monument.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I dunno, going back in time, filming a video of the real thing and then trying to pass it off as your model...

It's outrageous, I shall write to my MP about it, see if I don't!

Al.

• Funny 5

44 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Would daylight colour range bulbs help you with those pictures then if you think the artificial light is affecting them?

I've already fitted LED daylight bulbs and they've made a huge improvement (not to mention cut my electricity consumption by 90 percent) ... but you still can't beat actual daylight, in my book anyway.

• Agree 5

Great photos as always Dave.

I don't get to look through your thread that often but you always keep the bar nice and high and I make sure that I try to match your standards when making stock for Kirkhill.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1