Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Just outstanding - I especially loved the panned photos of the 47s at speed - about as close to reality as its possible to get in model form, I should think!  

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As you mentioned above, the low sunlight with the long shadows in your shots of 47102 are just great, they really add to the feeling of realism.

Superb as always Dave.

Al.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BR Blue said:

Quick question on the FFA/FGAs. As its 00 why are you changing the wheels? I looked for an answer in the thread but cannot see one. Thanks.

All I meant was putting the same wheels back onto the wagons after working on them. I always remove the wheels in order to paint the wheel faces and spray the wagons. 

No rewheeling is necessary as you say, especially as the wagons run superbly. They’re a breath of fresh air after my travails with the BOC rake.

Edited by Waverley West
Speeling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks. I understand now. I intend to get some BOC tanks so I read your posts with interest. I just got the FFA/FGAs myself and they are superb. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Dave, will you PLEASE stop posting images of Waverley in the 1980s and start posting images of your layout - I have asked before, but you will persist in posting images of the real thing.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

HI Dave,

Great photos as always. I'm looking forward to seeing the new container rake. I decided against buying any FFA/FGA wagons as I felt the containers weren't quite right for the mid 80s. However seeing what you've done with the first rake and with C Rail container on the second I may have to reconsider and do a bit of container mixing and matching. You said the C Rail containers are "pretty much" a straight fit. If possible when you post photos of the new rake can you describe any adjustments made. Thanks

Looking at the second photo, is that a sand box pipe hanging down from the front of 24081's bogie. Just mentioning it incase it snags on any point work.

PJ10

Hi folks

A little video showing 58043 wending its way through Waverley station and on through Princes St Gardens and past Haymarket depot. The video especially shows the excellent running characteristics of the rake and derailments are non-existent or at least extremely rare. A complete contrast to my rake of BOC tank wagons.

As I mentioned before, I have now replaced probably around two thirds of the containers with ones from C Rail Intermodel to produce a rake which is much more representative of the 80s. I'm very happy with it now, although one or two white containers wouldn't go amiss. Red, white and blue containers seemed to dominant many rakes back then, but looking at photos, it seems anything goes, including empty rakes too of course. The wagons are so beautifully detailed that even running a part- or fully empty rake would look good. I wish Bachmann would stop producing stuff I find so hard to resist.

PJ10 - I only said "pretty much" because I'm not sure the C Rail Intermodel containers fit quite as securely as the Bachmann ones. I haven't made any modifications at all to the C Rail ones and they stay in position and remain stable around the layout, so no worries there. I'm just not sure they lock into the locking pins quite so well. But they're fine as they are. Hope that helps.

Hope to be back soon with some piccies of the rake.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
Typo
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Waverley West said:

PJ10 - I only said "pretty much" because I'm not sure the C Rail Intermodel containers fit quite as securely as the Bachmann ones. I haven't made any modifications at all to the C Rail ones and they stay in position and remain stable around the layout, so no worries there. I'm just not sure they lock into the locking pins quite so well. But they're fine as they are. Hope that helps.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. I had read that they didn't fit as securely on another thread some time ago. However looking at the video they look perfectly secure to me.

And I agree with Colin Penfold. Great weathering and I love the snaking through Princess Street Gardens pointwork.

PJ10

4 hours ago, Waverley West said:

... produce a rake which is much more representative of the 80s ...

Unfortunately, you've got one more container to change.

That 9ft6 high cube container doesn't work on a standard flat in the 1980s -- it would have needed a special low floor wagon back then.

It's not until relatively recently that routes have been cleared for high cube containers on standard height flats.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally worked my way through this thread and what an enjoyable experience it has been. 

Dave, hats off to you sir. A truly remarkable layout and like many before me have said there have been mulitple times when I was reading through I had to do the proverbial double take to check it really was the model and not the real thing. Great stuff!!

Now I'm up to date I need more photos now ;)

• Thanks 1

On 03/06/2019 at 18:35, ColinK said:

Would a spot of ‘tacky wax’ help keep the containers on the wagons?

Quite probably, Colin, although it's not really a problem as the containers only move when they're knocked by the "hand of God".

I need to get one of these...

image.png.ed7b7231073eb5913c95aeca79414ef6.png

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Not the dreaded Round Tuit.  My railway friends know I just don’t like them;  one day I invited them round for the evening and a very enjoyable time was had by all - until they went home.  They had obtained a large number of paper plates and written ‘A round tuit’ on every one and hidden them all over the house. Open a drawer and there’s a A round tuit staring at you, Go to the loo, one stuck to the underside of the seat, get into bed and there is one under the pillow and another in the sheet. I remove them and climb into bed, another Round Tuit staring down from the ceiling.  Months later I was still finding the bl**dy things.  Has to be the best practical joke I’ve come across.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Excellent stuff Dave, the only thing missing from the 47 is the radiator slats opening when she powers up! :)

The whole layout is amazing but this clip shows how good your backscenes are - the perspective is spot-on and they look almost  3D. And not just the more recognisable Edinburgh city scenes either, i love the houses and back gardens at the start of the clip - mundane  council suburbia but all the more interesting for it. 

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 10/06/2019 at 11:21, Waverley West said:

Quite probably, Colin, although it's not really a problem as the containers only move when they're knocked by the "hand of God".

I need to get one of these...

image.png.ed7b7231073eb5913c95aeca79414ef6.png

I have one. Don’t look at it very often even less read it as mine has more text