Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Yes I've written about this possible solution to Hornby 56 / 60s which are plagued by this problem.  I think 2 things are at play - 1 the presence of any small burrs as keefer has said (some of these CCMs seem to be cut or maybe cast from metal so not that smooth) but also the fact that the coupling mechanism extends on corners and has to go back through the un-extended centre point before being allowed to go to the other side.  As a result, getting through the centre part can be difficult if the coupler is under heavy load (try this by hand - keep a load on the coupler and try moving side to side and you might find there is a binding point going through centre). 

I have found that taking a very small amount of material off the centre of the CCM (triangular piece which causes the coupler to have to go back to close during its travel through centre) to make this point more rounded helps the problem on H56 / 60s at least.  Unmodified versions cannot haul my rake of 25 TEAs round my layout but once this tweak is made they will romp away with the rake no issue.

Would be interested to see if its the same issue affecting some wagons CCMs - for me to date  have only identified the issue on the H56 / 60 but I do have several wagons awaiting attention due to derailments which may be caused by this too (I only JUST got trains running after house move and am having a play right now!).

M

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 09:30, Matt said:

Yes I've written about this possible solution to Hornby 56 / 60s which are plagued by this problem.  I think 2 things are at play - 1 the presence of any small burrs as keefer has said (some of these CCMs seem to be cut or maybe cast from metal so not that smooth) but also the fact that the coupling mechanism extends on corners and has to go back through the un-extended centre point before being allowed to go to the other side.  As a result, getting through the centre part can be difficult if the coupler is under heavy load (try this by hand - keep a load on the coupler and try moving side to side and you might find there is a binding point going through centre). 

I have found that taking a very small amount of material off the centre of the CCM (triangular piece which causes the coupler to have to go back to close during its travel through centre) to make this point more rounded helps the problem on H56 / 60s at least.  Unmodified versions cannot haul my rake of 25 TEAs round my layout but once this tweak is made they will romp away with the rake no issue.

Would be interested to see if its the same issue affecting some wagons CCMs - for me to date  have only identified the issue on the H56 / 60 but I do have several wagons awaiting attention due to derailments which may be caused by this too (I only JUST got trains running after house move and am having a play right now!).

M

As regards rolling stock, I've had the issue on my Heljan Cargowaggon bogie wagons and on the BOC tankers. As regards locos, only the Hornby 56 has so far caused me problems. Hornby 31 doesn't seem to be quite so bad (although it's a long way from being perfect). I have a couple of Hornby 60s which I'm expecting the problem with once I get round to running them on the layout. I find that removing the coupling hook helps to some extent, although with any kind of load, the coupling mechanism just extends fully, completely defeating the purpose of the spring.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Great to see more progress since we caught up at Barrow. I really like 47500 in that condition. The fleet look and sound great. 

One thing that really caught my eye in the videos is the MK2’s you’ve been working on. They look superb very realistic looking with the weathering, lighting and people along with the other little detail touches you add. They are the best coaching rakes I’ve seen. 

look forward to seeing 522 when it appears.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Dave, Been a while since I commented on your thread but I always drop by and see what you have been doing. The latest video is great. the new class 47s seem to be running well and look rather good. Glad you got your tankers running well too that rake does look very nice.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

Loved the video...

The Mk 2's really do look well, very tastefully finished off.  Very well done.

The details in the "background" are very effective as well.  I was particularly impressed by the mail bags with labels in the brute trollies on the platform.  Did you make these up yourself or are they proprietary items?  I don't recall seeing them before but I will need some of these for the brutes on Carlisle in due course ;)

Cheers for now,

Tom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Always appreciated! 

Work has been progressing on the various new 47s, most of which are now ready for reassembly after weathering.

In other news, I have started work on a sleeper rake after a bit of research into anglo-scottish sleeper formations of the 1980s. I've had some Mk 3 sleepers parked on a siding for quite a few years now, just waiting to make a start on the project. Hornby Mk 3 sleepers in blue/grey and intercity seem to be rarer than hen's teeth these days, so it was just as well I bought some when they first came out.  I'm planning on using 4 SLEP coaches, a couple of BGs in the centre of the rake and a couple of Mk 2f FO day coaches at the rear. I already have a spare FO which I've already weathered, so I'm currently working on the other one. The BGs are nearly ready too. Then all that will be left to do is fit the corridor connectors.

Here are some more piccies of 97201, which has now had its nameplates applied (after these pics were taken).

97201m.jpg.48763b621d72d36428464f33ea9115fb.jpg

97201l.jpg.49f5ec771b687ba527723e03d5d9b25d.jpg

972010.jpg.552882650a6afc3e188105db2c73d30a.jpg

97201n.jpg.f02fd4fc5381b932c67723ef6d472ab2.jpg

97201j.jpg.149ab72db229f38993cc9c9c5aa7cef8.jpg

A couple more shots of some of the Mk 2fs...

1884713614_Mk2f1.jpg.91bf81752dd9c387c79ece56ba2646ec.jpg

482069536_Mk2f2.jpg.144ce2ebaf9f0dcbb0ecea50df7aa365.jpg

And finally for now, some shots of a recent renumbering. I originally renumbered this loco to 47550, but it has now been renumbered again to 47470 University of Edinburgh, as it was shortly after naming without high-intensity headlights. This has freed up the 47550 number slot to do this loco in largo logo livery with a blue roof. 

314980287_474701.jpg.e4a447748d1d685f7687ed930ec977cf.jpg

47470_3.jpg.a0e406647d41cc70ab9bef27eee39c08.jpg

I'm hoping to make good progress on finishing off the 47s over the next week or so, ready for ordering of yet more sound chips from Charlie.  I've also ordered some corridor connectors from York Modelmaking, so hopefully WW will at last see a regular sleeper service soon.

Hope to be back soon. 

Cheers for now,
Dave

Did 47550 and 47470 have the same headcode panels? I seem to remember 47470 being an early recipient in BR Blue days of a flush front end and 47550 not

1 hour ago, GordonC said:

Did 47550 and 47470 have the same headcode panels? I seem to remember 47470 being an early recipient in BR Blue days of a flush front end and 47550 not

47470 received a flush no. 2 end some time in 1984 after a rather nasty accident, but not before it had been named.

http://class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=5019051091200

It had been named in July 1983. So my version is correct with red bufferbeams as of the second half of '83/early '84...

http://class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=1009020611000

I'm doing 47550 in this condition...

http://class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=1332051022200

It never received a flush end, at least during WW's era, the '80s.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

Just a whistle stop post to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Thanks for all your interest and posts in this thread over the past 12 months. I'm hoping to have a bit more modelling time in 2020, as 2019 was pretty hectic.

Hope Santa brings you all the trains you are hoping for!

Season's Greetings,
Dave

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Great work there, Dave (as usual).  Really like 47522 and I wouldn't grieve over not getting one off eBay - your version is probably a lot better, and you'd probably have had the eBay model in the WW workshop anyway for the Dave/WW makeover.

• Like 1