Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo Dave I was watching a dvd of Scottish railways in the seventies and eighties a sequence in Edinburgh showed your wall I studied it carefully and then looked at your pics.You have cracked it  the colour is perfect well done, its amazing just what can be found to do on the layout when all this time is available.I completely rebuilt my goods yard painted some new ModelU figures and I am considering  weathering some stock only done a few basic things before. Your layout is brilliant keep up the posts hope all of you stay well just seen on news this lockdown could go on till June will I go mad?  Keep safe Chris

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Hallo Dave I was watching a dvd of Scottish railways in the seventies and eighties a sequence in Edinburgh showed your wall I studied it carefully and then looked at your pics.You have cracked it  the colour is perfect well done, its amazing just what can be found to do on the layout when all this time is available.I completely rebuilt my goods yard painted some new ModelU figures and I am considering  weathering some stock only done a few basic things before. Your layout is brilliant keep up the posts hope all of you stay well just seen on news this lockdown could go on till June will I go mad?  Keep safe Chris

Thanks Chris. That's very reassuring! I've come to realise that, with the information I have available, it's not possible to reproduce the wall exactly as it was in any particular year, so I'm going to have to accept that it's never going to perfectly match every photo I have from that era, especially as it looks so different in almost every photo I have. 

I certainly have plenty of projects to keep me going too (including some ModelU figures of some BR men, which I really want to put on the platforms). They look incredibly detailed.

Stay safe and thanks for all your posts and comments. They really are much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, lambiedg said:

Dave

This appeared on the Railscot site today.

it’s perhaps too late to influence your wall work but does show it up well in bright sunshine 

image.jpeg.d44e605dbbf6cdf05dbf326d1738c37a.jpeg

Many thanks for that! A fascinating shot that makes me wonder whether the wall was cleaned again during the 90s, maybe in connection with the remodelling? It looks pretty clean in that shot. That vegetation on the tunnel mouth suggests otherwise though! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Many thanks for that! A fascinating shot that makes me wonder whether the wall was cleaned again during the 90s, maybe in connection with the remodelling? It looks pretty clean in that shot. That vegetation on the tunnel mouth suggests otherwise though! 

Dont go down the vegetation route Dave.

Dont even think about it........ 

Ian

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Dont go down the vegetation route Dave.

Dont even think about it........ 

Ian

Rest assured, Ian, I have absolutely no plans to.

There are some weeds on the top of that brick hut near the tunnel portals which I might model and some moss-like weeds on the ground near the foot of the station wall, but that will be all. It will be very subtle. No bushes or trees growing out of the portal or anything like that.

• Like 1

Dave  - Going back to the Summers of '79 and I think '80 on test were the Class 47/7 St Mungo? etc with DVT in Br Blue rolled out of Crewe for the push pull Glasgow  - Edinburgh  - it was quite a thing near us in Lancashire on the Blackpool line as they were regularly on test after mod conversion and refurbish?  the first locos seen with the hi intensity beams so we knew they were different -  they were through  Salwick  to Blackpool N  -  I am a bit vague on this period as other "things" were starting to attract my attention...!

Just wondered what you know about these.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Crisis Rail said:

Dave  - Going back to the Summers of '79 and I think '80 on test were the Class 47/7 St Mungo? etc with DVT in Br Blue rolled out of Crewe for the push pull Glasgow  - Edinburgh  - it was quite a thing near us in Lancashire on the Blackpool line as they were regularly on test after mod conversion and refurbish?  the first locos seen with the hi intensity beams so we knew they were different -  they were through  Salwick  to Blackpool N  -  I am a bit vague on this period as other "things" were starting to attract my attention...!

Just wondered what you know about these.

Ian

That would be about right. 47704 and the first set of coaches were under test, based in Derby, throughout the summer of 1979. The full service started with the May 1980 timetable change if I recall correctly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That would be about right. 47704 and the first set of coaches were under test, based in Derby, throughout the summer of 1979. The full service started with the May 1980 timetable change if I recall correctly.

47703 Push Pull conversion St Mungo Eastfield 1982.

post-7898-0-97933500-1437664853_thumb.jpg.f0fee8202c6bd95674696b5d63e9e0b1.jpg

(RM Web image - Alcanman)

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 5

Dave, 

Absolutely amazing layout, and takes me right back to many happy days in Waverley. I must have spent hours there in the seventies and early eighties. You have really captured the character of the place in a relatively small space.

For my part I am going to do the other end of the line, Glasgow Queen Street. I am going to set it in the 50's/60's.(though I will occasionally run the odd cl27 push/pull set when no one is looking!) Keep up the great work.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave, I don't  think I missed it. Can you please tell us the colours you used on the walls? Although my layout is freelance I'd  like to get to something similar with my retaining walls. Thanks mate.

11 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Hi folks,

Just another pitstop update as Project Station Refresh continues.

The tunnel portal is pretty much complete and the wall is also finished and has now been glued on.

Here are a few shots of the current state of play...

1197374524_TunnelMouths1a.jpg.032752138cd793b2388bf5681ca15157.jpg

1472406132_TunnelMouths1.jpg.2563caf88cbafedec7899c10d75b4b4d.jpg

1819338827_TunnelMouths2.jpg.2ad7ba297326b79b2c200afc96a831bd.jpg

860429277_Generalview1.jpg.947a0ea49f5c2ab75c211274182ec506.jpg

I've also been experimenting making some new trees for the station area and Princes St Gardens using seamoss.

Here are my first results...

Trees_1a.jpg.ee05d348af8c10e82f7198f97d46181d.jpg

1031052216_Trees3a.jpg.1466b0c3906040eb0b0055a85367386f.jpg

2046372908_Trees1.JPG.2e62460733597cc6e3b4f2fef41dcef4.JPG

The plan is to replace all the trees alongside the station throat area first. These are the first two trees and more are currently in the pipeline.

A hedge has been ordered which will be placed behind the fence along the top of the station wall. The cable trunking has now been glued down and the next job will be to apply a new top coat of pre-weathered ballast (i.e. pre-sprayed with my favoured mix of Railmatch roof dirt and frame dirt. Pre-weathering will hopefully reduce the amount of mess caused in the station area by eliminating the need to weather it in situ. It also means that if the ballast ever gets scratched, it will remain the same colour.

Hope to be back soon with another update.

Stay safe.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Trees look great Dave,im growing seamoss trees at the moment in the greenhouse..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Dave just an idea when taking low level photos which look through the tunnel is it worth using a black board behind to clock the view of the scenery beyond so that you get more of an impression of the depth of the actual tunnel

• Like 1

On 27/04/2020 at 12:12, David Bell said:

Dave, 

Absolutely amazing layout, and takes me right back to many happy days in Waverley. I must have spent hours there in the seventies and early eighties. You have really captured the character of the place in a relatively small space.

For my part I am going to do the other end of the line, Glasgow Queen Street. I am going to set it in the 50's/60's.(though I will occasionally run the odd cl27 push/pull set when no one is looking!) Keep up the great work.

Regards

David

Thanks David, that's very kind. I look forward to watching your progress!

Dave