Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

On 04/05/2020 at 08:28, colin penfold said:

Dave, I don't  think I missed it. Can you please tell us the colours you used on the walls? Although my layout is freelance I'd  like to get to something similar with my retaining walls. Thanks mate.

Hi Colin, 

See about a quarter of the way down page 158. I've described the process there.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 04/05/2020 at 13:47, P.C.M said:

As always Dave it's looking good. I like the seafoam trees myself. what foliage did you use?

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. I'm still experimenting at this stage, but for the two trees in the photos above, I used Woodland Scenics Blended green turf. I quite like the effect too, but I think maybe a bit more foliage might be in order.

Hope that helps!

Dave

7 hours ago, LongRail said:

Dave just an idea when taking low level photos which look through the tunnel is it worth using a black board behind to clock the view of the scenery beyond so that you get more of an impression of the depth of the actual tunnel

Hi Gary,

Maybe. I actually quite looking through the tunnels and the prototype ones aren't actually that long either, although the model ones are nowhere near prototype length of course.

Might well be worth a try though!

Cheers,
Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Hi Gary,

Maybe. I actually quite looking through the tunnels and the prototype ones aren't actually that long either, although the model ones are nowhere near prototype length of course.

Might well be worth a try though!

Cheers,
Dave

I agree Dave. One of the characteristics of Waverley is being able to look through the Mound tunnels and see the cutting on the other side.

• Agree 2

On 05/05/2020 at 23:57, Waverley West said:

Thanks Peter. I'm still experimenting at this stage, but for the two trees in the photos above, I used Woodland Scenics Blended green turf. I quite like the effect too, but I think maybe a bit more foliage might be in order.

Hope that helps!

Dave

Hi Dave, Yes that does help, thanks mate. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post another quick update, as I've been working away on Project Station Refresh when time allows. 

The fence has now been completed and placed along the top of the wall, but not glued yet. The hedge has arrived and been place where it is to go, behind the fence. The big news is that ballasting has started and a rough covering has now been completed across the station throat area. A lot of work remains to be done, especially weathering and blending in, and then all the details need to be added, but you can at least now see the general colouring that the station throat will now have - quite different from how it was in the early 2000s, which the previous version was based on.

The next job is to tidy up all the ballast, areas where the old colour shows through, and so on. Then it will be on to weathering. I'm enjoying this project, as it will make the station look much more like it was during the 80s, but it's also been pretty frustrating as train running has been extremely limited recently and is currently non-existent with the ballasting in progress.

I'm looking forward to getting trains running again and to toning down the ballast.

Here are a couple of shots taken on my phone showing the current state of play...

20200512_Status_shot.JPG.bc050f9c1cc2b0cd53f591bfc41b27a6.JPG

20200512_Status_shot_2.JPG.68de9a66e4ca63875f679582b2106933.JPG

Hope to be back soon with another update.

Stay safe everyone,

Dave

• Like 15

2 hours ago, ColinK said:

Hope you are running some rail replacement buses while the line is closed for ballasting?

Dear Valued Customer,

During this planned disruption, rail replacement buses will be in place for those passengers where travel is unavoidable, however these will add significant time to your journey and may be extremely busy. 

There will be further days with no trains to or from Waverley West later this month. These dates are still to be confirmed and we will update this page as soon as we have this information. 

Buses.jpg.910ab8d7ab3815dae8ad1421a3d955a7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

Just going back to the query about when the stonework and Waverley Bridge were cleaned up or modified.  I found these on Flickr.  The first shows the bridge being modified before the North British stonework was cleaned.  I assume the walls and tunnels of the station were cleaned up around the same time as the modifications to the bridge.  Tantalisingly the first photo was undated, but as its IKB in blue with no high intensity light I went for pre 85.  Looks like on a Dundee service. Then found a second photo later in the album, it has a date of July 1984.  Both photos are in an Edinburgh Area album which is full of gems and well worth a look.

f_47484_waverley

47406+47_waverley_198407

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Waverley47708 said:

Just going back to the query about when the stonework and Waverley Bridge were cleaned up or modified.  I found these on Flickr.  The first shows the bridge being modified before the North British stonework was cleaned.  I assume the walls and tunnels of the station were cleaned up around the same time as the modifications to the bridge.  Tantalisingly the first photo was undated, but as its IKB in blue with no high intensity light I went for pre 85.  Looks like on a Dundee service. Then found a second photo later in the album, it has a date of July 1984.  Both photos are in an Edinburgh Area album which is full of gems and well worth a look.

f_47484_waverley

That wall seen underneath the canopy is spotlessly clean.   

Malcolm

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dunwurken said:

That wall seen underneath the canopy is spotlessly clean.   

Malcolm

Yip, but I am not sure if it was done around the same time or a while before.  I have always assumed it was around the same time.

I've never seen photos of the cleaning in progress although I guess that would have been a shorter project than the bridge.

Edited by Waverley47708

An interesting discussion, guys, and a couple of fascinating shots there, Calum. I've not seen those before or any showing the bridge with scaffolding for that matter as far as I can recall. 1984 was my best guess for the cleaning of the walls and the work on Waverley Bridge.

Waverley is such a frequently photographed location, it's amazing there aren't more shots of the work being carried out. I guess it doesn't look as attractive covered in scaffolding, so maybe people are less inclined to take photos.

That wall may have been spotlessly clean, but it certainly didn't take long for it to start getting grubby again.

Dave

As always just absolutely perfect work.

If you are at all interested I have a recollection from the mid-80s that the hedge you have just installed had various gaps where interested youngsters (i.e me) were known to stand and 'watch the trains'. In those days you could come right up to the fence atop the wall. Nowadays there's a second fence stopping you get anywhere near it.

I have strong recollections of the sheer presence, noise, heat and vibration froms Deltics that were coming off trains from down south and often sat roughly where you have the 26 positioned in your pictures (I can't quite remember the trackplan in that area TBH), so basically as young boy looking down on a hard worked deltic roof was quite an experience for a young lad. Unfortuantely that'd be right at the end of the deltics careers and by the time I was old enough to fully experience it they were gone.

I'm not suggesting go ahead and cut holes in your lovely hedge but for sure there were certainly decent sized gaps for watching the trains.

regards

MHB

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, millerhillboy said:

mid-80s that the hedge you have just installed had various gaps where interested youngsters (i.e me) were known to stand and 'watch the trains'. In those days you could come right up to the fence atop the wall.

Ditto early 70s on the south side.

Paul.

2 hours ago, millerhillboy said:

Dave

As always just absolutely perfect work.

If you are at all interested I have a recollection from the mid-80s that the hedge you have just installed had various gaps where interested youngsters (i.e me) were known to stand and 'watch the trains'. In those days you could come right up to the fence atop the wall. Nowadays there's a second fence stopping you get anywhere near it.

I have strong recollections of the sheer presence, noise, heat and vibration froms Deltics that were coming off trains from down south and often sat roughly where you have the 26 positioned in your pictures (I can't quite remember the trackplan in that area TBH), so basically as young boy looking down on a hard worked deltic roof was quite an experience for a young lad. Unfortuantely that'd be right at the end of the deltics careers and by the time I was old enough to fully experience it they were gone.

I'm not suggesting go ahead and cut holes in your lovely hedge but for sure there were certainly decent sized gaps for watching the trains.

regards

MHB

You're right, MHB/Paul. It's something I've been thinking about too. At the moment, the hedge is just placed loosely on the layout and not glued down. I've been wondering whether it might look a bit daft if I cut up the hedge and leave gaps in it. On the other hand, I do want to reproduce those gaps as they're quite distinctive, so I need to experiment I think.

I'm quite pleased with the hedge itself so far though and I think it looks the part. A spotter or two peering through the gaps would be good too. There often seemed to be spotters on the platforms back then too, which is something I need to add to the platforms as well.

I have a short section of hedging spare, so a bit of experimenting with the scissors is in order.

Watch this space!

Dave

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

You're right, MHB/Paul. It's something I've been thinking about too. At the moment, the hedge is just placed loosely on the layout and not glued down. I've been wondering whether it might look a bit daft if I cut up the hedge and leave gaps in it. On the other hand, I do want to reproduce those gaps as they're quite distinctive, so I need to experiment I think.

I'm quite pleased with the hedge itself so far though and I think it looks the part. A spotter or two peering through the gaps would be good too. There often seemed to be spotters on the platforms back then too, which is something I need to add to the platforms as well.

I have a short section of hedging spare, so a bit of experimenting with the scissors is in order.

Watch this space!

Dave

Think you're right Dave, it could look a bit odd no matter how prototypical it was. Sometimes modelling the real thing is like that.

FWIW There was one area in particular which was well worn, possibly 6-10ft wide, with a worn path up to it from the official pathways through Princess St Gardens. As you say quite distinctive.

Is the track plan prototypical on that north side, more so where the 26 is parked in your pictures just above? I don't remember a siding there but could easily be wrong. My recollection thinking about it was a deltic coming in from the south, coming off the train and sitting underneath the wall for a bit before disappearing through the mound tunnel off to haymarket. If someone can remember that operation pattern I'd be interested just to see if my childhood recollections were accurate.

18 minutes ago, millerhillboy said:

Is the track plan prototypical on that north side, more so where the 26 is parked in your pictures just above? I don't remember a siding there but could easily be wrong. My recollection thinking about it was a deltic coming in from the south, coming off the train and sitting underneath the wall for a bit before disappearing through the mound tunnel off to haymarket. If someone can remember that operation pattern I'd be interested just to see if my childhood recollections were accurate.

No, there was no siding there. There are/were sidings on the south side of the prototype (where the station pilot was often parked), but I didn't have room for those, so I added an extra siding on the north side. It's a handy place to park the station pilot or other locos for me too.

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, millerhillboy said:

Think you're right Dave, it could look a bit odd no matter how prototypical it was. Sometimes modelling the real thing is like that.

FWIW There was one area in particular which was well worn, possibly 6-10ft wide, with a worn path up to it from the official pathways through Princess St Gardens. As you say quite distinctive.

Probably Almost certainly breaking copyright here, but this shot taken from class47.co.uk. maybe shows the gap you're talking about and even a couple of gricers too. Maybe even you??! There were quite a few gaps like this along the length of the hedge at the time, but the hedge had become pretty continuous by the time of my first visit (early 2000s) for actual modelling purposes.

1444793815_47708a.JPG.e5511bddc7efc137ce5599d4cab1c5b1.JPG

Might make for an interesting cameo?

This is a nice shot of the wall at about the time I am modelling it too.

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Probably Almost certainly breaking copyright here, but this shot taken from class47.co.uk. maybe shows the gap you're talking about and even a couple of gricers too. Maybe even you??! There were quite a few gaps like this along the length of the hedge at the time, but the hedge had become pretty continuous by the time of my first visit (early 2000s) for actual modelling purposes.

1444793815_47708a.JPG.e5511bddc7efc137ce5599d4cab1c5b1.JPG

Might make for an interesting cameo?

This is a nice shot of the wall at about the time I am modelling it too.

Dave

That's exactly the one Dave, that's the gap I recall but there were other ones to the right, maybe another one gap or so. I think the other gaps would have meant you were closer to being right above the locos as they sat which is what I recall. The gap in the picture gives you a better view overall station.

Wouldn't be me, by the time the 47/7s were in Scotrail livery I'd be allowed to the station myself and I'd be on the end of the Dundee service platform book in hand.

As I say the gap in the hedge was a well worn spot with people watching the trains. I think you can see its well used from that picture as the rest of the hedge was pretty thick.

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 2