Waverley West

1 hour ago, Waverley West said:

Plus a few more...

720929494_27052a.jpg.4b7493067a82f1731587d1adee7db6ff.jpg

195040417_27052f.jpg.57b0c487b477dff8c258b14890be22aa.jpg

Plus a final, even closer close-up...

1196489891_27052h.jpg.220136c315fbc26b8d4b6ad0cac26c78.jpg

Hi Dave

the detail and lighting on these shots is what makes this whole model so outstanding - you really are hard pressed not to see the real thing

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

That chap from the orange army in the first carriage is such a neat touch. Was it parade weekend in Glasgow?

Hi Peter

Hope all is well.

That orange top is actually based on my Peter Storm cagoule which I wore when out spotting throughout much of the 80s!

Dave

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Hi Peter

Hope all is well.

That orange top is actually based on my Peter Storm cagoule which I wore when out spotting throughout much of the 80s!

Dave

Remember those well - but we were the original legendary BR Blue 70's Parka Boys  - fur lined hoods  - flares  and Adidas holdalls for the obligatory packed lunches and Ian Allen Combined Volumes.

ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

Hi folks,

I had a very enjoyable and productive session in the railway room last night. Six trees were finished off, ready for planting on the layout later today hopefully.

I also managed to solve an annoying derailment problem with a couple of Bachmann 47s, which was tracked down to the frames sitting too low on one of the bogies. I then fixed a signal which had stopped responding to the controller. It was just a simple resetting of the signal's addresses, but I always find it satisfying to fix problems so quickly (well, after reading the instruction manual anyway - yes, it was that bad).

Whenever I look under the layout now, I come out in a cold sweat, as the wiring under there is so complicated and tracing wiring faults does involve a lot of tracing wires here, there and everywhere. Fortunately, no problem has defeated me yet and electrical problems are pretty rare. I really shouldn't have said that.

Anyway, the troubleshooting session was followed by a quick running session involving one of the push-pull sets, 47546 and 47642 pootling around the station.

These shots show off the new colouring of the tunnel portals and the wall, which is now a decent match for the National Gallery on The Mound.

spacer.png

47642 arriving from Haymarket...

2069395424_47642b.jpg.c28e3e170034e781916f009b046ea2d9.jpg

1996890301_47642c.jpg.67ce14137998538abcd264524a718bb0.jpg

Followed shortly after by 47546...

1308027228_47546b.jpg.512cbfe61c694813c5052965f607fa6c.jpg

349010055_47546a.jpg.619583be60918f1de6a356bec3438281.jpg

And finally 47715 arriving from GQS. 47716 had been on this service until recently, but had been removed due to the derailing problem, now fortunately resolved.

563788218_47715c.jpg.1df0d1b7833e145abe2b245fc005c7a5.jpg

1943816231_47715d.jpg.37677a83ea14f9d43b8f3d1d7751ef6a.jpg

1246307434_47715e.jpg.ed62a52d450c3582d60f254d695cd0aa.jpg

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Dave, As always nice to see a few pics. I am glad you got your 47s running better but I notice the front bogie on 47715  looks a bit low on the inner end. It is possible that its not clipped in properly. I have noticed having taken a few apart the when clipping the bogie frame back on it can slip to one side a bit. it will clip back in but not sit quite right. I normally attach at the inner end then clip the front in second. 

Well done on 4,000 posts.

All the best Peter.

2 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Hi Dave, As always nice to see a few pics. I am glad you got your 47s running better but I notice the front bogie on 47715  looks a bit low on the inner end. It is possible that its not clipped in properly. I have noticed having taken a few apart the when clipping the bogie frame back on it can slip to one side a bit. it will clip back in but not sit quite right. I normally attach at the inner end then clip the front in second. 

Well done on 4,000 posts.

All the best Peter.

Thanks Peter. I find it's a bit of a problem with Bachmann Co-Co bogies generally (including my 37s). They don't seem to attach very securely and often look a bit on the low side to me, even when apparently securely fitted.

Will check 47715!

Cheers

Dave

5 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Thanks Peter. I find it's a bit of a problem with Bachmann Co-Co bogies generally (including my 37s). They don't seem to attach very securely and often look a bit on the low side to me, even when apparently securely fitted.

Will check 47715!

Cheers

Dave

No worries, I agree it's not the best set up, not helped by the centre wheel sitting lower than the others. though worse on the 37s.

Cheers Peter.

Hi folks,

Another quick update as Project Station Refresh takes another step forward. Trees are now returning to Waverley West in significant numbers. After studying lots of trees on my walks around the village, I'm now using a lighter colour for the bark on the trees, which I think improves them further.

Some 15 or so trees are now temporarily in place at the moment, with a production line set up to produce many more. The hedge has also been installed temporarily while I come up with a final arrangement for everything. I think having gaps in the hedge actually works pretty well and doesn't look a bit silly, like I thought it might. I guess that's because I've been looking at so many photos of that hedge which show the gaps. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to track down one single photo that shows the whole hedge and its gaps, so a bit of guesswork will be needed. I don't think that will be a problem though.

Here are some quick phone piccies of the current state of the layout. More trees to follow soon, as they're actually quite quick to make. I think I will be planting some in the countryside section of the layout too, as I am very pleased with them and think they look the part. And there's Princes Street Gardens to follow too of course.

That brick hut needs painting and refurbishment too at some point soon. And then there's the cable trunking to do as well. More relay cabinets and other similar gubbins (technical term that) will follow too.

I think it's all coming together now...

1417540152_Treesf.jpg.222441c2c5e43b6fb81aae5dbc82d551.jpg

1391727338_Treesd.jpg.b165e34879b2ca56497deadeb2e66c7e.jpg

380345274_Treesa.JPG.7af59d95e93f6c6742423a0d365682ad.JPG

1154016938_Treesg.JPG.327e2cf30a8051db7586380c79c7bab0.JPG

And a final one in B&W...

1907879273_TreesfBW.jpg.a4678379483787f440c30b2af03cd6a1.jpg

Hope to be back soon with another update as Waverley West "goes green".

Stay safe one and all,

Dave

• Like 19

7 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

The trees are excellent Dave - I'd be interested to see a tutorial on how you make them?

ATB

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I'll gladly put together a quick tutorial. I'm very happy with the trees.

I'll be back!

Dave

• Like 1

Some close-ups of the trees.

1612819872_Treea.jpg.00cd13b311ea94eb466dc31f7b12a96a.jpg

58294369_Treec.jpg.0a61c05b9151c2d05d7ff21ed79e577c.jpg

1608021359_Treeb.jpg.be0ceb939e55cd9035b68b81aa257558.jpg

And finally a shot showing two model trees on either side with a couple of trees on the photo backscene in the middle. 

So I don't think I was too far away from getting it right...

352965206_Treed.jpg.0643b288b27fb8276fc2f2bf4d976a42.jpg

These close-ups are pushing the limits of my phone camera, so I'll hopefully be back with some better shots when I get chance.

Dave

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Dave

Would me rude of me not to like the work you've done to the hedge, but like you say I think it works well. Certainly reminds me of that area.

Thanks also as I just picked up on the Flickr photo album you linked to a few posts back, Jim Nisbet I think the chaps name was. Lots of incredible pictures of the Edinburgh area from when I were a lad!! Lots of my trainspotting haunts included. Just incredible album actually.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 03/06/2020 at 11:36, Waverley West said:

1391727338_Treesd.jpg.b165e34879b2ca56497deadeb2e66c7e.jpg

Hi Dave

You clearly paint/weather your track bed area post ballasting as can be seen in the above picture. I am struggling to get something like this, please be so good as to tell us what it is you do.

Thanks Rob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2020 at 23:33, Waverley West said:

apply a new top coat of pre-weathered ballast (i.e. pre-sprayed with my favoured mix of Railmatch roof dirt and frame dirt. Pre-weathering will hopefully reduce the amount of mess caused in the station area by eliminating the need to weather it in situ. It also means that if the ballast ever gets scratched, it will remain the same colour.

I knew you had commented on the ballasting, can you expand on this please

• Like 1

Unbelievable Dave - how could you?

I've been looking for an idea for my project now, as I've done a few dioramas and am ready for a decent- sized layout. I was thinking perhaps Eastfield or Polmadie set in the 1930s with the kettles  ( I won't see "class 47" everytime I close my eyes unlike you ^_^ ), or a terminus station in Scotland. Now, I've seen your layout on youtube but compared to this thread, it doesn't give it the proper justice in my opinion. I don't know how I've kept away from this thread for so long, but I found it a week go, and was so in awe I couldn't stop reading- I must have got through the first 50 pages in one go!

By the time I'd finished a week later, there's now no doubt in my mind this is where I want the layout to be based- what have you done? These things should come with a warning! :D:jester:

I've had a thought and have decided to try fit it, like you, into just over a 2x1m, with a split in the middle incase there's ever need to get it up and down the stairs. It could be based at Waverley West and might be expanded backwards if I ever feel confident enough, but I could perhaps also be able to remove the canopy and walls and tunnel to reveal the bridge at Glasgow Central and the roofs of central Glasgow, or add an alternative tunnel and canopy to become Queens Street- I could create endless stations ( even if the track plan isn't quite prototypical  accurate to any station but Waverley ) !

So, you may have made my mouth drop, but you've also had me make up my mind- yet in no way am I even going to try take photographs like yours, thankyou! However, I may need your help- I haven't the foggiest idea where to start, which is why I've made an account on rmweb... well, aside from to sing the praises you deserve. By the confusion I mean surrounding the trackplan and scratchbuilding mostly, but the backscene I might end up painting whilst looking over all your photos of it. So, could I perhaps be so cheeky as to ask for a more complex trackplan, with lengths of flexitrack, and which of the code 75 points are where? I completely understand if this is a no. Also, I would be grateful to know the names of anything at all, for example the names of lights and lamps, bushes, paints, platforms, trees etc. Please keep doing what you are because it is amazing!!

Big fan of your work and your labrador,

James :D

• Like 1

On 09/06/2020 at 18:46, James J said:

Unbelievable Dave - how could you?

I've been looking for an idea for my project now, as I've done a few dioramas and am ready for a decent- sized layout. I was thinking perhaps Eastfield or Polmadie set in the 1930s with the kettles  ( I won't see "class 47" everytime I close my eyes unlike you ^_^ ), or a terminus station in Scotland. Now, I've seen your layout on youtube but compared to this thread, it doesn't give it the proper justice in my opinion. I don't know how I've kept away from this thread for so long, but I found it a week go, and was so in awe I couldn't stop reading- I must have got through the first 50 pages in one go!

By the time I'd finished a week later, there's now no doubt in my mind this is where I want the layout to be based- what have you done? These things should come with a warning! :D:jester:

I've had a thought and have decided to try fit it, like you, into just over a 2x1m, with a split in the middle incase there's ever need to get it up and down the stairs. It could be based at Waverley West and might be expanded backwards if I ever feel confident enough, but I could perhaps also be able to remove the canopy and walls and tunnel to reveal the bridge at Glasgow Central and the roofs of central Glasgow, or add an alternative tunnel and canopy to become Queens Street- I could create endless stations ( even if the track plan isn't quite prototypical  accurate to any station but Waverley ) !

So, you may have made my mouth drop, but you've also had me make up my mind- yet in no way am I even going to try take photographs like yours, thankyou! However, I may need your help- I haven't the foggiest idea where to start, which is why I've made an account on rmweb... well, aside from to sing the praises you deserve. By the confusion I mean surrounding the trackplan and scratchbuilding mostly, but the backscene I might end up painting whilst looking over all your photos of it. So, could I perhaps be so cheeky as to ask for a more complex trackplan, with lengths of flexitrack, and which of the code 75 points are where? I completely understand if this is a no. Also, I would be grateful to know the names of anything at all, for example the names of lights and lamps, bushes, paints, platforms, trees etc. Please keep doing what you are because it is amazing!!

Big fan of your work and your labrador,

James :D

Thanks, James. High praise indeed! I'll have to get back to you on this, as there's quite a lot to sift through, but I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can.

In the meantime, greetings from me and my walking partner, who turned 8 yesterday. I can't believe it.

1392797925_Anyaabovetheclouds.jpg.8a6c947ab01431afb58cfd899e301d93.jpg

It seems only yesterday she looked like this...

9617029_Anya4.jpg.c585bf972647b7610614e5c749636b64.jpg

Ahhhh!

• Like 15