Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

56 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Another one of 47642 which got left out...

47642d.jpg.335790b5a714341ed974e81763e0123e.jpg

Hi Dave absolutely love this photo (as well as all the others! but the sunlight really does it for me) - I hope you won't mind me asking as I suspect it may have been asked before, but how do you replicate the buffer head grease on your locos? It's a really subtle effect to get right which I can't get right no matter what I try, but it always looks bang on in all your shots! All the best, Phil. 

• Like 2

On 03/06/2020 at 11:36, Waverley West said:

Hi folks,

Another quick update as Project Station Refresh takes another step forward. Trees are now returning to Waverley West in significant numbers. After studying lots of trees on my walks around the village, I'm now using a lighter colour for the bark on the trees, which I think improves them further.

Some 15 or so trees are now temporarily in place at the moment, with a production line set up to produce many more. The hedge has also been installed temporarily while I come up with a final arrangement for everything. I think having gaps in the hedge actually works pretty well and doesn't look a bit silly, like I thought it might. I guess that's because I've been looking at so many photos of that hedge which show the gaps. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to track down one single photo that shows the whole hedge and its gaps, so a bit of guesswork will be needed. I don't think that will be a problem though.

Here are some quick phone piccies of the current state of the layout. More trees to follow soon, as they're actually quite quick to make. I think I will be planting some in the countryside section of the layout too, as I am very pleased with them and think they look the part. And there's Princes Street Gardens to follow too of course.

That brick hut needs painting and refurbishment too at some point soon. And then there's the cable trunking to do as well. More relay cabinets and other similar gubbins (technical term that) will follow too.

I think it's all coming together now...

1417540152_Treesf.jpg.222441c2c5e43b6fb81aae5dbc82d551.jpg

1391727338_Treesd.jpg.b165e34879b2ca56497deadeb2e66c7e.jpg

380345274_Treesa.JPG.7af59d95e93f6c6742423a0d365682ad.JPG

1154016938_Treesg.JPG.327e2cf30a8051db7586380c79c7bab0.JPG

And a final one in B&W...

1907879273_TreesfBW.jpg.a4678379483787f440c30b2af03cd6a1.jpg

Hope to be back soon with another update as Waverley West "goes green".

Stay safe one and all,

Dave

Hi

A superb layout, and very realistic.

May I ask you is the backdrop in the above photos photoshopped from real photos of the surrounding area's or is it something you have constructed yourself or had it made by someone.

Regards

David

• Like 1

On 11/06/2020 at 10:33, Waverley West said:

Thanks, James. High praise indeed! I'll have to get back to you on this, as there's quite a lot to sift through, but I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can.

In the meantime, greetings from me and my walking partner, who turned 8 yesterday. I can't believe it.

1392797925_Anyaabovetheclouds.jpg.8a6c947ab01431afb58cfd899e301d93.jpg

It seems only yesterday she looked like this...

9617029_Anya4.jpg.c585bf972647b7610614e5c749636b64.jpg

Ahhhh!

Awwwwwwww! Adorable!

And also thank you, that's great and very kind of you :D

• Agree 1

Hi folks,

Here as requested is a description of the method I used to make the trees for my recent station refresh...

I used the following:

1. Gaugemaster seafoam (GM 195) for the basic trees

2. PVA glue

3. Woodland Scenics spray bottle 

4. Halfords car primer. I used grey, but red would do too.

5. I initially used Railmatch Frame Dirt aerosol, but moved on to a mix of frame dirt plus white using my airbrush. I was actually pretty happy with the original aerosol finish, but I think the mix applied by airbrush offers more flexibility as regards colour.

6. A variety of Woodland Scenics fine turf scatter, including green grass and blended turf. I'm still experimenting with different colours of foliage, as I haven't found a suitable spring green as yet.

The method I used was as follows:

1. I drilled a number of well-spaced holes along a length of wood and placed the seafoam in the holes. 

1901166873_Treesb.jpg.e55283168575204db20cc39fc2fa72c9.jpg

2. The trees were first sprayed with a 1:4 mix of PVA glue and water and left to dry. This improves their strength a little.

3. Once dry, they were sprayed with Halfords grey car primer. 

176267520_Treesa.JPG.f64367592865a2c1e6e9c939758b4f35.JPG

4. They were then sprayed with Railmatch Frame Dirt. After studying lots of trees around the village, I later started using a mix of frame dirt and white to produce a lighter shade. I thought the basic frame dirt aerosol finish looked pretty good too though.

767247050_Treesc.JPG.bda74fc17ac9b996c9492944afe739f9.JPG

5. The parts of the trees where I wanted the foliage to be were then sprayed with a 1:2 mix of PVA plus water using the spray bottle. The foliage was then sprinkled over the tree with an ice cream tub placed below to catch all the excess foliage for reuse.

While the glue is still wet, use a small modelling brush to wipe off the foliage which sticks to the tree trunks and branches, rather than the ends of the branches were most of the foliage on trees tends to occur. If you look at trees though, many have their trunks covered in ivy and other vegetation anyway, so this last bit is optional.

Leave to dry overnight.

6. You should end up with trees that look something like this...

290467003_Trees1.JPG.f6ab8b1df5798a0374bdd9ac78a60860.JPG

It's a pretty quick and easy method. I managed to produce over 20 trees in a weekend a couple of weekends ago. Using a plank of wood to hold the trees speeds up the process and makes drying them easier. They're a big improvement on the previous trees in this part of the layout, I think. It's on to Princes St Gardens next to refresh that with new walls and vegetation.

728720154_Treesf.jpg.a7edd9e88d1dcd6642dac64261f9dfa3.jpg

Hope that helps!

Stay safe,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 07/06/2020 at 07:50, young37215 said:

Hi Dave

You clearly paint/weather your track bed area post ballasting as can be seen in the above picture. I am struggling to get something like this, please be so good as to tell us what it is you do.

Thanks Rob

Hi Rob,

The method for tracklaying and weathering I use is as follows:

1. First, lay the track and test run your trains to make sure everything is working OK and derailment-free.

2. Using Railmatch aerosols, I then spray the track in-situ with a mixture of Railmatch Frame Dirt/Sleeper Grime/Roof Dirt/Weathered Black according to the finish I want to achieve.

3. I then ballast the track. I mainly use Greenscene ballast, although I also use Woodland Scenics too. Always use the finest grade of ballast. (i.e. basically N gauge ballast. The supposed 00 gauge ballast types generally look far too coarse for me).

4. Finally, I spray the track using the same mixture with loose sheets of paper (newspaper or kitchen roll) placed on either side of the track covering areas which I don't want to be sprayed. I only place the sheets loosely by the track and often a few mm's or more above the track level. This produces a slightly feathered effect to the edge of the track weathering, which I think is much more realistic.

Studying photos of track suggests that the edge of the sleepers is normally as far as most track grime extends laterally, although there are plenty of exceptions of course.

5. If desired, finish with a slight dusting of the whole track and adjacent ballasted areas to tone everything down and blend it all together.

That's basically it. I'm not yet entirely happy with the look of the reballasted station throat, so a bit more titivation is required I think before I can consider the refreshed trackwork finished.

Hope that helps!

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/06/2020 at 18:22, philiprporter said:

Hi Dave absolutely love this photo (as well as all the others! but the sunlight really does it for me) - I hope you won't mind me asking as I suspect it may have been asked before, but how do you replicate the buffer head grease on your locos? It's a really subtle effect to get right which I can't get right no matter what I try, but it always looks bang on in all your shots! All the best, Phil. 

Thanks Phil. I always spray the chassis of my locos with my trusty mix of Railmatch Frame Dirt/Sleeper Grime/Roof Dirt/Weathered Black. I normally just use the aerosol cans, as I think they produce a coarser and more realistic finish for grubby loco chassis. I then apply a mix of dirty brown/grey/black weathering powders over the chassis, making sure there is some realistic variation.

I then just use a small brush to apply the "grease" to the buffer heads in the form of matt black or weathered black.

Dave

On 11/06/2020 at 19:22, landscapes said:

Hi

A superb layout, and very realistic.

May I ask you is the backdrop in the above photos photoshopped from real photos of the surrounding area's or is it something you have constructed yourself or had it made by someone.

Regards

David

Many thanks, David. The Princes St and Princes St Gardens sections of the backscene are basically a montage of photographs which I took myself pasted onto a photo backscene of blue sky. That's good old-fashioned cut and pasting using scissors and glue, not on a computer! I managed to take most of the photos I needed from suitable vantage points along the flanks of Castle Hill below the castle itself. 

One day, I'd like to treat myself to a professionally done backscene, although probably using many of the same photos as I am generally happy with those. Some sections of the backscene are looking a little tired now, after nearly 20 years of use.

Dave

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Many thanks, David. The Princes St and Princes St Gardens sections of the backscene are basically a montage of photographs which I took myself pasted onto a photo backscene of blue sky. That's good old-fashioned cut and pasting using scissors and glue, not on a computer! I managed to take most of the photos I needed from suitable vantage points along the flanks of Castle Hill below the castle itself. 

One day, I'd like to treat myself to a professionally done backscene, although probably using many of the same photos as I am generally happy with those. Some sections of the backscene are looking a little tired now, after nearly 20 years of use.

Dave

Hi Dave

it does look very impressive 

unfortunately the backscene  to my Haymarket layout probably disappeared forty or fifty years ago And not including Murrayfield Rugby Stadium Changes over the years.

Your photos and layout are quite amazing 

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, lambiedg said:

Dave

Is that a photo of your layout on the cover of Traction?

(removes tongue from cheek)

I was thinking of replicating that photo, but unfortunately I don't have a domino headcode 47 at the moment. One for the future though maybe!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Scott Monument.jpg

Since you're sharing your secrets, can you expand on how you made your Scott Monument? The detail and weathering are spot on. :D

Excellent work as ever Dave, I can imagine the station refresh has given you a new enthusiasm for WW.

So, when's the Overhead going up  then?? ;)

• Funny 1

Your revamp looks very good the tunnel mouths especialy the new frieghtliner is an excellent addition plus as usual all stock is very good.The mk2,s are a brilliant coach and always look good always enjoyed traveling on them.Chris

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 25/06/2020 at 18:24, keefer said:

Scott Monument.jpg

Since you're sharing your secrets, can you expand on how you made your Scott Monument? The detail and weathering are spot on. :D

Excellent work as ever Dave, I can imagine the station refresh has given you a new enthusiasm for WW.

So, when's the Overhead going up  then?? ;)

Stage 1 - Buy a scale model of Thunderbird 3

Stage 2 - Add bits and pieces and apply some Mod-Roc

Stage 4 - Paint black and weather - simples!!  :jester:

Jim

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

You've been at it again Dave, you've just posted a load of slides that you took at Waverley about 25 years ago, and are passing them off as a model - but seriously, it's good to hear from you, and to see how WW is progressing over the years.

Regards

Stewart down in partly lockdowned Lancashire

• Like 1
  • Agree 3