Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

I'm normally opposed to lighting on layouts, never realistic. It seems to be forgotten that a) normal model lighting is usually far too bright; b) lights are usually not on in daytime; c) lights exist away from the trains and platforms (eg everywhere!).

Then I saw these - excellent, properly done!

Stewart

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello . I am currently looking for a possible layout of Haymarket. Set about 1950.

Does anyone know where I can get photographs around the area?

I have found very good photos of the station itself but not much on other buildings in the background .

Sven

1 hour ago, SvenL said:

Hello . I am currently looking for a possible layout of Haymarket. Set about 1950.

Does anyone know where I can get photographs around the area?

I have found very good photos of the station itself but not much on other buildings in the background .

Sven

Have you tried the Canmore Database https://canmore.org.uk/

Jim

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a few pics and give a pitstop update to my progress, as despite my absence (because of?) from RMWeb, I've actually been pretty busy on the modelling front when time allows. 

The big project at the moment is a fourth push-pull rake, this time of ScotRail-liveried Mk 2d's. With no prospect of a new RTR release on the horizon, I've been thinking about how I can improve my rake of resprayed Airfix Mk 2d's. These are basically a sound coach, let down mostly by the shape of the windows and the glazing. The lack of sufficient tumblehome is another issue, but I didn't tackle this when I resprayed them some years ago, so I'm just going to let that lie. I decided to bring my Mk 2d's up to the level of my HSTs by fitting them with Shawplan's Extreme Etches window frames, Lazerglaze glazing and interior lighting. They already have detailed and painted interiors, although the addition of a few newspapers dotted around will improve them further. Work is now well advanced and I hope to post some pics of the finished rake soon.

In other news, I've been working on some details for the station throat, including some power cables which are fitted to the wall by entrance to The Mound tunnels, along with various other details such as wheelbarrows and wall-mounted relay boxes and a curious-looking tap alongside Platform 11/12. More on those later.

Various minor permanent way works have also been going on with the aim of eliminating derailments on the layout and these have generally been pretty successful, making derailments much less frequent and operating sessions a lot more fun. The big task will be to do the same to my fiddle yards, where derailments are still far too frequent.

I also have a major track possession planned for the Christmas holidays, when the Princes St Station will be refreshed in the same way the station throat was during Lockdown 1. The trackside walls will be repainted/reclad, the existing trees will be replaced, the track will be reballasted with grey/brown ballast (as per the 1980s). I need to look into lowering the footbridges as well, as they are currently too high.

Well, that's what I've been up to, so without further ado, here are some piccies taken during some recent operating sessions...

1397151650_Nightshotc.jpg.83362bf9411a78a9c717d8374c2f2d6b.jpg

445510635_Nightshotb.jpg.e19057b15fd2657e60724af5323a56c8.jpg

3760975_Nightshota.jpg.a09877b8bfbead9af31bc8a21182786b.jpg

1468815012_HSTa.jpg.3bc676a793c388ea903de846f71f5788.jpg

651212155_Nightshotf.jpg.6abc7e7d8a18806711c532322f9b0816.jpg

1097937000_47a.jpg.1055ebacc1d11b6b4e618d1400dbd927.jpg

2049518566_26025a.jpg.0bd60c7dd6126bd3ccc23f6bba4c2f2c.jpg

2089926696_Coacha.jpg.485d478c40ba8d9308b4cdf2580c4c81.jpg

1812560097_Mk2f1sta.jpg.558788c10edc0413dd053880452465d4.jpg

851039824_TheMoundb.jpg.68a8081ded5909f60c651e08820e0959.jpg

1051053440_TheMoundc.jpg.74ae3b39329d2038135ba5f383032b06.jpg

321662842_40142a.jpg.50d05d0a9ff7a9405523e61d8ef5d06a.jpg

Hope to be back soon with some more developments.

Stay safe one and all,

Dave

I do like the cropped night shot with the lady holding on to her hat - obviously Edinburgh born and bred!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LongRail said:

Dave with regards to eth issue of derailments out of interest which code of track are you using.

Great photos again by the way

Thanks Gary.

Code 70 mainly, although I have used code 100 on some short off-scene sections where curves are tight (down to 2nd radius). The fiddle yards are generally code 70 (although again with some code 100 on tight curves). I sometimes wonder whether code 100 points in particular would have been better there.

Dave

21 hours ago, LongRail said:

Dave with regards to eth issue of derailments out of interest which code of track are you using.

Great photos again by the way

Hi Gary,

Re. derailments, the majority of derailments on WW can generally be put down to one of two causes:

1. Slight misalignment of rails across board joins, especially on curves. I've found that these vary with temperature as the rails contract and expand, being fine on some days and nothing but trouble on others. I've recently been working to eliminate the troublemakers by cutting the rails short on either side of the joint and inserting a short length of rail across the join with a rail joiner on each end. Previously, the rails on either side terminated at the board join, where they were soldered to a screw. I've found that the soldered joints can sometimes break due to contraction and expansion. My Bachmann 47s in particular couldn't cope with any ridges at joins and these have had their centre axles modified so that there is some play on the axle, although this is limited as the bogies on these locos are all-wheel drive, unlike the old Heljan design which could cope with far more in the way of track misalignments.

2. Close coupling mechanisms on Heljan wagons and Hornby diesels (the bane of my modelling life), especially in the case of longer rakes when the mechanism won't return to centre after a curve. Reverse curves are the worst. My rake of Heljan BOC tankers, Heljan Cargowaggon bogie wagons and Hornby diesels (50s, 56s and 31s) are the worst offenders and all have had their CCMs extensively modified to get them to work better. Interestingly, the CCMs on my new Bachmann Mk 2f's work faultlessly in both push and pull mode.

I do expect a lot from my track and stock, as I run up to 6/7/8-coach rakes with touching or near-touching corridor connections in both pull and push mode (push-pull sets and HSTs), not to mention reasonably long rakes of mixed bogie and 2-axle wagons, through what is a reasonably complicated track layout including curves of down to 2nd radius in places. Derailments on the layout itself are now thankfully much less common, making operating sessions much more fun.

I now need to turn my attention to the fiddle yards. Here, I think the causes of derailments are a little different, as the track just runs across the baseboard joins. Unevenness at board joins is one issue I need to look at here, causing vertical rather than horizontal misalignment. I must confess to trying to squeeze in too many fiddle yard roads too, along with reversing loops in each fiddle yard. There's plenty to think about there, but for now, I'm just enjoying some reasonably derailment-free running sessions on the layout itself.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Dave that’s an interning explanation I suppose I think of the layout as a permanent fixed home layout but I also seem to recall it has been moved into its current location or is my memory playing up?

was going to suggest the short length of rail across the joints as I was reading, but then you said you had done this. 

Do you get much temperature range ? I wonder how well insulated the roof is?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dave - would your PLEASE stop posting images of Waverley as it was, and get back to posting images of your models

Regards

Stewart

ps - we never did get round to a visit, but one of these days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LongRail said:

Dave that’s an interning explanation I suppose I think of the layout as a permanent fixed home layout but I also seem to recall it has been moved into its current location or is my memory playing up?

was going to suggest the short length of rail across the joints as I was reading, but then you said you had done this. 

Do you get much temperature range ? I wonder how well insulated the roof is?

It was moved around 9 years ago when we last moved house. My idea was to rebuild it so that it could be moved again at any time, which I did, with a reasonable amount of success too. Nine years on and it doesn't look like we'll be moving again any time soon, so the incentive to keep the layout portable is diminishing. The solution of using short lengths of rail instead of abutting rails either side of the join retains the portability aspect though, so it's the best of both worlds. The method is also quick and has so far been pretty successful too. 

As regards temperature fluctuations, the layout is kept in a room above the garage which has been pretty well-insulated on both the walls and the ceiling, and it's had central heating installed, so the layout doesn't experience extreme temperatures. It does still fluctuate though and it can get pretty hot up there in those long, drawn-out baking Cumbrian summers we get here every year. :D :D :D Seriously though, it can get hot in the layout room if I forget to open the veluxes on a hot summer's day. In the winter, it gets as cold as any other part of the house when the heating is not on.

So the temperature fluctuations are relatively limited but they do seem to be enough to affect the rail joints at baseboards sometimes. It's the only explanation I can come up with as to why the layout runs beautifully on some days and rubbish the next. Recently though I've been trying to do something about this and the early signs are promising, with a steady reduction in derailments on the layout.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/10/2020 at 21:28, Clagmeister said:

Still looking as fantastic as ever.  First time I've checked in for a long time, thought there may have been an embryonic Oban to go with WW by now?

Cheers Mike. Nice to hear from you again. There's still far too much I want to do with WW and I'm still enjoying the layout far too much. It's difficult finding the time for WW at the moment, let alone another layout! 

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't know how I've missed your layout over the years but I have to say just found it and it's stunning. It should serve as motivation to get on with mine, but I fear it will never be anywhere near as good as what you've achieved. Time to lower my expectations. I even made my suffering wife watch a couple of videos of your layout! That'll bite me in the arse cause she'll tell me yours is better when mine's a little more complete.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Coming on well its amazing what you find to do on a layout  very brave of you to dig up the ballast you have started me thinking about my station area it dose not look right.

Thanks lms. I just keep looking at photos, videos, etc. and ponder how the layout differs from the real thing and how I can improve it. I think I'm gradually getting closer and closer.

Digging up the ballast was definitely a deep breath moment and I nearly chickened out and just put the new ballast on top of the old stuff. Having done it, I think I might go back to the station area and dig up the ballast there now too.  :o :o :o 

Cheers 

Dave