Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Happy new year Dave and congratulations on the MR article. Just finished reading it through for the second time - a thoroughly enjoyable read with some great pics.

D9009 is looking great. As always, watching with interest.

Hi Dave, and Happy New Year to Everyone...

Thought I would just say well done in getting your layout mentioned in the Model Rail this month January 2010, I was really pleased to see it in there along with the entire write up...! Not forgetting as always the excellent photo shots...really great my friend...!

Warm Regards

Jamie

Superb layout. I live in edinburgh and am amazed at the way you have caputred the scene. It would be good to see some overall shots of the entire layout, and get an idea how it fits into a room/garage. Well done and thanks.

hi just wanted to say that i love all the modern image layouts on here as its the era i grew up with i love the detail that has been put in to the layouts and could only dream of owning or building a layout this good so thank you for keeping me interested in one day having one

Hi folks,

Firstly, Happy New Year everyone!

Secondly, thanks for all the great feedback on the MR article and the layout. Much appreciated. Glad you liked it. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I've had a few requests now for some shots which show the layout "in the room" rather than just the layout itself, so here they are.

Here is Waverley West as it really is... Hope it gives you an idea of how I've put it all together.

post-7247-12627797530233_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12627797791254_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12627798853332_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12627799216925_thumb.jpg

Progress on Waverley West has been slow recently, mainly because I've been working on a 6' x 4' roundy-roundy layout for my 5-year old daughter (which she wants me to put on here too!).

In the Waverley West works at the moment though are five Dapol Mk 2d's for respraying into a mixture of ScotRail and InterCity liveries.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Dave

I can only add to the above - even though I had seen your pics and read the thread for WW on RMweb 3, I still bought the mag as was very happy to see it again and how you desribed the construction in a summarised format.

Never tired of seeing the pictures - keep that BR Blue coming!

Pete

Hi Dave,

Great to see how it all goes together,cool.gif Look forwards to seeing the Mk2ds I have a couple to domyself, one of which I would like to do in Scotrail liv. Do you know if the Scotrail BGs used on the push pulls ever strayed and got used on other trains?

Cheers Peter,

Thanks guys! Waverley West isn't actually that big and I hope I've made a few people think about what they could achieve in a relatively small space. I think there are plenty of other big stations that could be done in the same half-station way - Glasgow Queen St, Birmingham New St. (not jim s-w-style though of course!!) and Liverpool Lime St. spring to mind. I think even Carlisle N or S could be done, using the side walls as the layout edges. Having said that I think with a photographic backscene to indicate the city, you wouldn't even necessarily need a confined station.

Hi Dave,

Great to see how it all goes together,cool.gif

Look forwards to seeing the Mk2ds I have a couple to domyself, one of which I would like to do in Scotrail liv. Do you know if the Scotrail BGs used on the push pulls ever strayed and got used on other trains?

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter - I've been wondering that myself. I believe they were mainly used on the Glasgow - Aberdeen push-pulls, so I'm not sure how often they would have visited Waverley. I guess they would have done though. I was thinking of doing at least one. If anyone knows of the travels of the ScotRail BGs please enlighten us!!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi folks,

Firstly, Happy New Year everyone!

Secondly, thanks for all the great feedback on the MR article and the layout. Much appreciated. Glad you liked it. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I've had a few requests now for some shots which show the layout "in the room" rather than just the layout itself, so here they are.

Here is Waverley West as it really is... Hope it gives you an idea of how I've put it all together.

post-7247-12627797530233_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12627797791254_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12627798853332_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12627799216925_thumb.jpg

Progress on Waverley West has been slow recently, mainly because I've been working on a 6' x 4' roundy-roundy layout for my 5-year old daughter (which she wants me to put on here too!).

In the Waverley West works at the moment though are five Dapol Mk 2d's for respraying into a mixture of ScotRail and InterCity liveries.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi Dave

Hope you had a Great Christmas & New Year...

Looks pretty fantastic seeing "Waverley West" as one large layout, Does that mean we have a chance of it appearing at some model exhibition in the near future....?

Amazingly, looking at the photos, just how small it all looks now... seeing it from a long distant shot of the entire layout on a single photo. Yet when you upload your photos of one particular area of your layout, it??™s always gave the impression that the layout was huge... saying that I know it is long because of the lengths of the Rake of coaches you pull on your layout.

What is the overall size of the layout...? Do you have plans to expand it... and Is this a ???U??? Shape layout... or is it a Chaser and always has been?

Well done in all your achievments and of course the wide view photos shots of the layout...?

Warm Regards Dude

Jamie

I'm sure those photographs of the interior of your railway room will be an inspiration to many would-be modellers who feel they haven't the necessary space for a main line type of layout. Possibly even to those considering less demanding branch lines. I've not seen these images before and I am amazed at just how much you've managed to put together in what appears to be little more than a box room. However, it's not just what you've fitted in but the thoroughly professional way in which it's all been done that makes Waverley West one of the highlights of RMweb. Excellent attention to detail and like many Scottish based layouts there's a wonderful variety of loco's and rolling stock in all their different liveries. Waverley West's thread is also easy to find for me as it's undoubted popularity with the majority of members means it's always near the top of the listing!

Wow, what a layout. Bought MR only yesterday and then joined RMWeb today - seeing this layout for the first time twice in two days! It's fantastic! The combination of main station, engine sheds and countryside vistas is a real inspiration... and the realism you've acheived is amazing. :icon_thumbsup2:

I hope that we continue to see more of this layout. Thank you for sharing it with us all.:icon_clap:

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Great photos showing the layout in context. Do you have any close ups of the fiddleyard area? Am just trying to work out how you manage to squeeze in loco hauled 5 coach trains in the station...am I missing something?

Thanks, Pete

Thanks guys! Waverley West isn't actually that big and I hope I've made a few people think about what they could achieve in a relatively small space. I think there are plenty of other big stations that could be done in the same half-station way - Glasgow Queen St, Birmingham New St. (not jim s-w-style though of course!!) and Liverpool Lime St. spring to mind. I think even Carlisle N or S could be done, using the side walls as the layout edges. Having said that I think with a photographic backscene to indicate the city, you wouldn't even necessarily need a confined station.

I am in the planning stages of an N gauge Layout based on GQS - Fort Bill it will be approx 16' x 2' with the options to add in more modules/scenes as time and funds allow.

Carl

Hi Dave,

I can only repeat what has already been said - you have a really amazing layout there! Having seen the pics of the full size version I was convinced that it was certainly a lot larger. The concept of the layout is remarkable and you have executed it exceptionally well!

Cheers, Bill