Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• 2 weeks later...

Great as usual Dave. It struck me a couple of times how realistic the sound of wheels on rail joints is. Have you done anything clever to enhance that?

Thanks Colin. Not really. I've generally made the gaps between rails fairly generous to take account of temperature fluctuations in the room (the layout is in a room above the garage but it is pretty well insulated, so temperature fluctuations tend not to be too excessive, except in the sultry dry heat of a Cumbrian summer of course.  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Most of my Howes DMU sound chips have a clickety-clack rail joint function which I like very much.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi folks,

I've not had much time free for modelling recently (it's the story of my life at the moment), so my time on WW has been restricted to a few operating sessions.

Here are a couple of videos of cab rides in 27052 running out from Haymarket MPD to Waverley and then out on a Fife service...

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 11

Hi Dave

Great photos, Love the one with the three coaches, Br Blue Grey, ScotRail (Blue), BR (Red), I do like to see that mix of coaches when you get the odd coach or coaches that are different, I do it now and again with a NSE Coach in the Rake...

Hope you have had a great day with Family and Friends, and all the best for New Year to my friend...

Same goes for who Love Dave's Thread... and his iconic photos...

Regard

Jamie

Thanks Jamie. Great to hear from you again.

I've always felt that livery transition periods tend to be underrepresented on layouts. You don't see that many layouts with a mix of blood/custard and maroon coaches, or maroon and blue-grey (particularly rare that combination I'd say) or blue-grey and intercity. I guess as modellers we tend to prefer our rakes to look uniform and smart. Because of the time it takes to repaint all the stock, these transition periods usually last quite a long time though and I think they often tend to be overlooked on layouts. That's my tuppence worth anyway!

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

I've not had much time free for modelling recently (it's the story of my life at the moment), so my time on WW has been restricted to a few operating sessions.

Here are a couple of videos of cab rides in 27052 running out from Haymarket MPD to Waverley and then out on a Fife service...

Cheers for now,

Dave

Fabulous videos, they show off WW in all its glory. There is something about using video that adds the overall effect of a layout; I cannot put my finger on it but for me video really works; especially on something as good as WW. 

• Like 3

Hi Dave, I haven't had much time to catch up on RMweb recently. However, I came across this video the other day and thought of you. Apologies if you have already seen it.

Nice to see that you are still keeping busy with Waverly West, the new Mk2s look great, as does the DBSO. As you know I have always had a soft spot for the 47/7s and DBSOs, I am now even tempted to get some, not really sure how that fits my modelling project but hey!

Keep up the good work.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks Alex. I'd noticed you'd been quiet on Rmweb recently. I have seen that video but I never tire of watching it, so definitely no need for any apologies! I've seen a shot of a DBSO behind a 31 on test somewhere in the midlands. Surely that could be an excuse to run one? And a nice shiny ex-works 47/7 on test too?

Most of my modelling time (and budget) recently has been spent on the new Mk 2s. I now have four rakes in service plus five DBSOs, so that should cover my needs.

I have plenty of ideas as to what to do next. I just don't have the time to do it at the moment. I've recently invested in a rake of BOC bogie tank wagons (a pure rule 1 purchase that), along with a rake of Freightliner wagons. Then there's detailing of the layout, plus various corners of the layout that I want to improve and fitting of my non-Mk 2fs stock with lights. Working on WW is never boring, as I'm never stuck for ideas as to what to do next!

Cheers for now,

Dave  

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 3

Hi Dave, Jusr been catching up. I really do like the new coaches, maybe it's time I replaced my two rakes of Airfix MK2ds I do like the Scotrail FK is that a total repaint?

I am wondering if some of the standard red striped stock ever got the Scotrail logo.

Love the latest video too, your class 27 sounds great.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave,

Superb videos, great to travel round the layout and coming into the station was excellent. That’s some investment in rolling stock. I’ve had a look at the BOC tanks and they do look rather nice. Hopefully see you at Glasgow?

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Superb videos, great to travel round the layout and coming into the station was excellent. That’s some investment in rolling stock. I’ve had a look at the BOC tanks and they do look rather nice. Hopefully see you at Glasgow?

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark. I've spent far too much on Bachmann stuff recently. I was expecting to with all the releases that were due to come out, but Heljan's BOC tankers just looked so good, I couldn't resist them either. Rainbow Railways delivered them in double quick time too.

The plan is not to spend so much this year (yeah, right), although once again Bachmann have come out with a few things I won't be able to resist (particularly the early ScotRail coaches and maybe even the later ones too, to go with 68007 which has been sat on my desk for many months now). Fortunately, Hornby have never considered my era (ca. 1979-94) to be of all that much interest to them, so they won't be draining my pockets too much once again this year. That's not a complaint at all, more of a relief, as between them Bachmann and Heljan cover most of my needs.

Sadly, I won't be able to make Glasgow this year, as we're away on holiday. Definitely a case of bad timing, but it's half-term so we didn't have much choice. It'll be the first time in years I'll have missed it.

Cheers for now, 

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

• RMweb Premium

Everytime I see your pictures I have to ask is that real or is it a model, which says it all really!   Tremendous modelling and photography and you come across as a nice unassuming guy too !   A Hearty well done!